Black Chicken Studios Forums

Training multiple skills - actions, locations or abilities

BobMaster

Hey all,

I've been reading on the forums and came to the understanding that there are some actions/locations or abilities that lets you train 2 or more skills instead of just 1 with the 'Train' action.

So my question to you is, have you found any of them, and what are they ?

I personally haven't come across them, at least not that I have found.

Well, the Imperial Sphinx is the grandmother of these. It has a 15% chance of discovery, but on the flip side, if you pass an Insight/Wits roll you can train in a skill of your choice and several random skills at the same time. I think it was three, but it might've been 'one of history and two random'.

Unfortunately, the Insight/Wits roll is rather hard. Vs 12! If you fail, you only learn one random skill. From failing the Insight/Wits roll, I've gotten two skill steps in Insults, one in Mammals, one in Intimidation, and one in Puzzles. I could swear the Sphinx were mocking me with those 'lessons'.

the easiest method is to train up the library knowledge subskill (parent skill research) as it provides library of the longshade at 3, library of the mantle star at 6, library of manetele at 9 and the sphinx's room at 10

while the sphinx is by far the best (as pointed out), manetele (1 to choice, 1 to random revision, 1 to random forge but no skill check) can be useful before you've got the skills/spells necessary to reliably pass the skill check for the sphinx

thoughtful study (natural philosophy 2) is an alternative although getting the necessary subskills unlocked can be difficult

The venalicium Library accessable for example through Music skill lest you Train a subskill of your Choice and a random Research skill. Very useful especially early on. Professor lounge accessible through decipher writing 2 or 3 gives 2 points to study also very useful. One of my favorites is Esteban contu's school of incantation. It lets you learn incantation fast. Accessable through theory of incantation 1.

There are many others, these are just off the top of my head.

I thought that the study at the venalicium Library Ability raises your study level in one of your six courses and a random Research subskill?

Edit: For your familiar there is Improved familiar handling from Zoology five, that lets you train two of its subskills of your choice, including bond subskills. It does use a skill roll, familiar kinship and insight, i think but the in game description doesn't tell you the difficulty so not sure how easy it is, there is also the action, Go outside of the fences, it gives you one random explore subskill and a point of stress and gives your familiar one bond subskill of your choice plus two random explore subskills.

So far i know 6 actions that are strictly better than "Train" - either of them expands a skill of your choice by one skill step, and does someting else as well http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:...Chosen_Subskill

Edit: Ops, there is actually 5 of them. I corrected the entry for Venalicium Library.

There are also some corner case ones which are better than train for specific skills or skill areas.

For example "Use the athlec fields" gives a random athletics boost and removes 2 points of stress. Music practice room #4 (when it's not bugged) has a 50% chance of boosting several skills at once. Cleaning after the Smiths grants both a forge and enchant sub-skill step.

Actually there are loads of those corner case ones. Anyone have a full list?

There are also some corner case ones which are better than train for specific skills or skill areas.

For example "Use the athlec fields" gives a random athletics boost and removes 2 points of stress. Music practice room #4 (when it's not bugged) has a 50% chance of boosting several skills at once. Cleaning after the Smiths grants both a forge and enchant sub-skill step.

Actually there are loads of those corner case ones. Anyone have a full list?

I think i covered all location abilities currently in wiki, and some non-location abilities here: http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Expand

I think i covered all location abilities currently in wiki, and some non-location abilities here: http://academagia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Expand

Hmm.. I don't see the two Courts I know of on a quick glance through. There is one for civil law and once for criminal law. Both also offer ways to make money.

No, wait, there they are. Odd, I was looking at an abbreviated list the first time. Nevermind. :rolleyes:

Here is some of the stuff that I have organized awhile back.

Academagia Grounds - Path of Fire

A) +1 step to Courage, Willpower, and Endurance subskills.

B) Costs 5 pims.

Academagia Grounds - Run a Potentially Crippling Training Route

A) +3 steps to Running, +1 Fitness at 10% probability.

B) +4 Stress

City of Mineta - Temple of Ludocia

A) +1 step to Theology, Oratory, Prayer, and Piety subskills.

B) Costs 10 Pims.

C) Requires "Theology" skill of LV1.

Academagia Grounds - Grapple for the Crowds

Dependant on your Fitness/Wrestling roll, you will gain the following for each successful check. There is a large number of checks, so your mileage will vary. You may be also rewarded with a number of Pims.

+1 step to Competition subskill.

+1 step to Flawless Timing subskill.

+1 step to Wrestling subskill.

+1 step to Intimidation subskill.

+1 step to Willpower subskill.

+1 step to Manipulation subskill.

+2 steps to Wrestling subskill.

+1 Glory (Presumably, can be obtained only once.)

Imperial Reserve - Study at Esteban Contu's School of Incantation

A) +1 step to all Incantation subskills.

B) +1 Stress, unless you roll Intelligence/Incantation greater than 6.

C) Costs 900 Pims to gain permission to use.

The City of Mineta - The Forum of Naxun - Listen to Debates

A) +1 steps to 2 random Rhetoric subskills, +1 step to Logic subskill, +1 step to Oratory subskill.

B) -1 step to random subskill.

C) Requires an Exploration action to discover.

The City of Mineta - Culinary Wizard

A) +3 steps to Recipe subskill, +1 to Cooking subskill.

B) Requires "recipe" subskill of LV4.

C) Might be possibly a "1-shot" activity?

Academagia - Professor Valena's Back Office - Advanced Arithmetic Study

A) +1 step to two random Arithmetic subskills, +1 step to a random Geometry subskill, +1 skillstep to Theory of Astrology. +1 to relationship with Valena.

B) +2 stress, participating in class requires 3 or less points of stress.

C) Requires an Arithmetic skill of LV6, and visitation rights.

Let the master list grow!

Academagia: Bell Tower Interior

+1 SS Clockwork

+1 SS Perfect Timing

+1 random Patrol SS

Unlock with skill 2 Architecture (Engineering)

Imperial Palace: Hall of Elumia

+1 SS to Famous Poetry

+1 SS to Famous Prose

+1 SS to Famous Songs

Unlock: Explore Imperial Reserve (4 difficulties)

Imperial Palace: Dining Hall

+2 SS to Etiquette

+1 SS to Recipe

Unlock: Explore Imperial Reserve (4 difficulties)

Register at Master Whip's Studio

A) Fitness/Dance Vs 11

Success:

+1 SS Dance

+1 SS Concentration

+1 Stress

Pay 400 pims

Unlock Whip's Studio

Unlock: Explore Imperial Reserve (0 difficulties)

Master Whip's Studio

+1 SS Dance

+1 SS Satyric Revelry

+1 SS Endurance

+1 SS Famous Songs

+1 Fitness (4% Chance)

+1 Charm (4% Chance)

Unlock: Register at Master Whip's Studio

Museum of Men

+1 SS History sub-skill

+1 SS Archeology

+1 SS Anthropology

Unlock: Search City of Mineta (5 Difficulties)

Work at the circus

+10 Pims

+1 SS Acting

+1 SS Playfulness

+1 SS Voice

-1 Stress

Unlock: Visit Jornadathal's Circus: Freak Show

Wow thanks everyone.

This must be the best 'on topic' topic I have seen in my life :D

I'm still learning the game's diversity and I'm sure these tips will be incredibly useful once I make my final character.

I have found Esteban Contu's school and a lot of other abilities I see, Advanced Arithmetic study is just superb :)

Haven't made a character without Arithmetic so far ;)

• 1 month later...
Well, the Imperial Sphinx is the grandmother of these. It has a 15% chance of discovery, but on the flip side, if you pass an Insight/Wits roll you can train in a skill of your choice and several random skills at the same time. I think it was three, but it might've been 'one of history and two random'.

Unfortunately, the Insight/Wits roll is rather hard. Vs 12! If you fail, you only learn one random skill. From failing the Insight/Wits roll, I've gotten two skill steps in Insults, one in Mammals, one in Intimidation, and one in Puzzles. I could swear the Sphinx were mocking me with those 'lessons'.

What constitutes a wits roll? Is it a specific skill, or is it a combination of skills? (logic, reason etc)

Archived