Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Howdy. First time posting.

A few questions.

Are any of the supernatural races able to cross breed with humans? (a fae ancestry background would be awesome)

How advanced is the study of Alchemy? Permanent transformation of one substance to another? (lead to gold) Potions of youth? Or is it more closely tied to the Alchemists ability with the other pillars of magics?

In theory, could a mage use his skill in astrology to filter out some of the uncontrollable aspects of another pillar? Not that I have been studying any magic that may have been proscribed due to its erratic nature. Honest.

Transformation is in this setting part of the Revision School and permanent changes are next to imposible.

I'm sure there a number of alchemy potions that can stop you from aging for a time or give you a younger apearance.

But keep in mind that there is no known way to stop you from aging for ever as you slowly become immune to this things the more you use them.

Thats why I suspect that there a lot of diverent alchemy potions around that slows the aging or even stop it for some time.

Sciurrus;

Most of the supernatural races are capable of cross-breeding, yes.

Alchemy is very advanced, but as Schwarzbart notes, permanency in age reversal is not achievable, mostly because of the nature of magic.

It is possibly for Astrology to do just as you have described, in theory. The trouble is...it doesn't seem to work for that particular pillar...

That would have a nice adventure idea for the luck/unluck DLC. ^^

One of the coins of the player sudenly turn in a small unworked matal clump.

When talking to the mercant where he think he got the coin the player just get send away.

With no way to prove the coin came from this mercant he can either accept the lost or look what it is he have now.

If the player start to research it turns out the metal clump is actual more worth then the coin was.

So you are saying I could ... you know ... make gold coins ... and use them to buy things first. And then let them turn back to whatever they once were after a period.

Mmm...

Selling a brand new invention!

Tire of mages tricking you with fake coins? Feeling that you should ban mages from your store but don't want to lose their custom?

Then purchase this brand new Fake Money Detector for only 1 Malin!

Simply place the coins on the platform and the enchantments in them with either turn the fake coins into whatever they were or simply alert you discreetly so you can caught those thieving no-good pointy header dumb-dumbs red-handed!

Order now for 1 Malin! That's ONE Malin folks! Better to spend 100 pims now than to lose over 1000 pims before it's too late!

It sounds like Nyaa needs to update that world of academagia thread. we are getting repetitions in questions here...

anyway,

1. In future years, would staff at the academy try to push my character into specializing in a pillar?

2. Given that we are talking about educating youths here, what say do the parents have in class choice? Is our ability to choose almost any class an example of story and gameplay segregation?

3. rather than go to the lengths of turning a rock into an apple, would it be more likely to revise dirt to be 'nutritious' and just eat that? or would the difference in difficulty be negligible?

4. If Gates was to become legal, what would be the first thing that people in Elumia would want from that magic?

5. Are there Jackalopes in this setting????

6. Regarding sickness, can Revision permanently "cure" an ailment, or just the symptoms? and do people have beliefs regarding getting sick? Are there "magical immunizations"?

7. How big of an island is required before the act of replenishing is noticed? does it happen with even the smallest ones?

8. With the case of Monteon and the calamities, did any part of the island/s reform even partially afterward? even if not in a way as to be utilized?

9. I got to playing "Skies of Arcadia" and couldn't help but wonder if there might be some inspiration there...? Are there enough uninhabited islands as to allow an air pirate band to set up shop unnoticed? Any "Rains of Destruction"? ;)

10. Are there hurricanes or other naturally occurring bad weather to watch out for?

11. If a suitable candidate was found to fill the vacant Emperor's throne, after so much time, how much loyalty would the various regions show to him? Would it kind of be like a modern monarchy today where it is more or less a figurehead with lots of power in theory but little or it actually exercised?

12. Also have there ever been Empresses?

13. Assuming that there are no mages around.. How much effort (ships, men, etc,) would be required to fight a dragon on roughly equal terms?

14. Silver has long been known to have healing properties, (actually due to its antibiotic properties) and as a result, some cultures have considered it a 'holy' metal, Is there such a thing in Elumia?

15. Was Legate Orsi taught at the Academagia and if so what college?

16. I realize that it's unlikely to be made public knowledge, but just how often do students at the Academagia get caught studying... Illegal stuff. If you can't say that, then, what is the last case that made it through the student's rumor mill???

17. Of what are often called the cardinal gems, one is now near worthless. Are Amethysts valued as they were in the old times in setting?

18. Are there any magical-oriented publications in Mineta?

19. If it was discovered that that upstart Academagia copycat in Pievrre had quietly sanctioned illegal stuff on the sly, what would that mean for the Academagia as a whole?

20. Are pianos or Harpsichords more popular?

Free;

1. In future years, would staff at the academy try to push my character into specializing in a pillar?

Probably. :)

2. Given that we are talking about educating youths here, what say do the parents have in class choice? Is our ability to choose almost any class an example of story and gameplay segregation?

Technically none, although that really varies Student to Student.

3. rather than go to the lengths of turning a rock into an apple, would it be more likely to revise dirt to be 'nutritious' and just eat that? or would the difference in difficulty be negligible?

Hmmm. Likely to be easier to make a rock into an apple.

4. If Gates was to become legal, what would be the first thing that people in Elumia would want from that magic?

That depends on the person. :)

5. Are there Jackalopes in this setting????

If there aren't, you should breed them.

6. Regarding sickness, can Revision permanently "cure" an ailment, or just the symptoms? and do people have beliefs regarding getting sick? Are there "magical immunizations"?

It can permanently cure some ailments, but it's unclear to modern medicine why it works in one person and not in another. Educated people believe that sickness is caused by diet and imbalance in the body. There are no magical immunizations.

7. How big of an island is required before the act of replenishing is noticed? does it happen with even the smallest ones?

It happens with even the smallest, as far as anyone can tell.

8. With the case of Monteon and the calamities, did any part of the island/s reform even partially afterward? even if not in a way as to be utilized?

Monteon is slightly growing, but just inches in decades.

9. I got to playing "Skies of Arcadia" and couldn't help but wonder if there might be some inspiration there...? Are there enough uninhabited islands as to allow an air pirate band to set up shop unnoticed? Any "Rains of Destruction"? ;)

I personally love that game, but I don't think it influenced the Team, no.

10. Are there hurricanes or other naturally occurring bad weather to watch out for?

Oh, yes.

11. If a suitable candidate was found to fill the vacant Emperor's throne, after so much time, how much loyalty would the various regions show to him? Would it kind of be like a modern monarchy today where it is more or less a figurehead with lots of power in theory but little or it actually exercised?

Very little loyalty is likely. It's been contentious for centuries.

12. Also have there ever been Empresses?

Yes.

13. Assuming that there are no mages around.. How much effort (ships, men, etc,) would be required to fight a dragon on roughly equal terms?

It depends on the Dragon and the people involved. :)

14. Silver has long been known to have healing properties, (actually due to its antibiotic properties) and as a result, some cultures have considered it a 'holy' metal, Is there such a thing in Elumia?

No, no specific metal is venerated in such a fashion, although silver is regarded for healing.

15. Was Legate Orsi taught at the Academagia and if so what college?

Unknown and unknown.

16. I realize that it's unlikely to be made public knowledge, but just how often do students at the Academagia get caught studying... Illegal stuff. If you can't say that, then, what is the last case that made it through the student's rumor mill???

Never! Students always adhere rigidly to the academic code. A cheating ring was rumored to be discovered last year, however...what happened to the Students involved is hushed rumor, not for first year's ears. :)

17. Of what are often called the cardinal gems, one is now near worthless. Are Amethysts valued as they were in the old times in setting?

Absolutely.

18. Are there any magical-oriented publications in Mineta?

Yes. I guess the school newspaper counts, too!

19. If it was discovered that that upstart Academagia copycat in Pievrre had quietly sanctioned illegal stuff on the sly, what would that mean for the Academagia as a whole?

Who can say? :)

20. Are pianos or Harpsichords more popular?

Harpsichords, by a mile.

1. Is coffee drank in this setting??

2. Given the nature of the arts being studied, academic success is if not a direct measure, then certainly an indirect way to look at a person's ability to turn others into a warthog or something... Do bullies still tend to pick on the students who excel? (and have a personality that would likely turn a bully into a warthog at first opportunity...)

3. What level of practice would be required to create a non-magic area around, say, a prison cell?

4. Will we see a more detailed look at the innerworkings of the college faculty? I mean, sure I can see why the regents are there, but do any of the regular instructors in the colleges take on more responsibility beyond instructing?

5. How often are weapons enchanted in an army? more like common weapons for the grunts as opposed to officers and nobility?

6. In modern times, what was the most feared dragon?

7. How hard are some of the hardest phemes to draw? How long would some mages spend drawing them? And does difficulty to draw correlate with utility?

8. What do chocolate fruit trees themselves resemble?

9. A question regarding the credits image. why would there be a fountain bearing the image of a dragon if they are so reviled? oh, and where was that "photo" taken on campus?

10. If you found phemes drawn say, in some really, really obscure place that probably hadn't been visited in centuries, how likely are you to suspect if the phemes in question are illegal? do such places give off a foreboding atmosphere? Even if there might not be any obvious signs of such magic?

Free;

1. Is coffee drank in this setting??

Yes, but it is so scarce as to be almost unknown in most of Elumia. You can find it in Mineta, though.

2. Given the nature of the arts being studied, academic success is if not a direct measure, then certainly an indirect way to look at a person's ability to turn others into a warthog or something... Do bullies still tend to pick on the students who excel? (and have a personality that would likely turn a bully into a warthog at first opportunity...)

Likely no, but...it depends on the bully. ;)

3. What level of practice would be required to create a non-magic area around, say, a prison cell?

An area where magic cannot be used? A very experienced negater, or a competent enchanter with a lot of money. :)

4. Will we see a more detailed look at the innerworkings of the college faculty? I mean, sure I can see why the regents are there, but do any of the regular instructors in the colleges take on more responsibility beyond instructing?

It seems likely, but probably in later years.

5. How often are weapons enchanted in an army? more like common weapons for the grunts as opposed to officers and nobility?

Generally, only for the officers.

Since the introduction of steam powered ships and more powerful cannons, Dragons haven't really been feared. In modern times, as a menace, they are not very threatening...;)

7. How hard are some of the hardest phemes to draw? How long would some mages spend drawing them? And does difficulty to draw correlate with utility?

Some can take several hours, but its not corresponding to utility, just specificity of concept.

8. What do chocolate fruit trees themselves resemble?

The cocoa tree.

9. A question regarding the credits image. why would there be a fountain bearing the image of a dragon if they are so reviled? oh, and where was that "photo" taken on campus?

Creating the image of an enemy is to gain some measure of power of it. I think that image is near one of the galleries, but I'm not sure which.

10. If you found phemes drawn say, in some really, really obscure place that probably hadn't been visited in centuries, how likely are you to suspect if the phemes in question are illegal? do such places give off a foreboding atmosphere? Even if there might not be any obvious signs of such magic?

Not too likely; there aren't any atmospherics related to Phemes.

Free;

An area where magic cannot be used? A very experienced negater, or a competent enchanter with a lot of money. :)

Since the introduction of steam powered ships and more powerful cannons, Dragons haven't really been feared. In modern times, as a menace, they are not very threatening... ;)

Regarding 3, one of the adventures has Ilaro possibly using magic while in a prison cell that was likely nuked in a do-not-use magic way by a very competent negater/enchanter - so I'd guess that it's something of an arm's race between the relative skill of the person trying to stop magic being used and the person using it.

Regarding 6, I presume you mean "not very threatening compared to any other armour-plated fire-breathing spell wielding dinosaur-sized killing machine?" A big military ship with a veteran crew might be confident of facing pretty much anything, a wizard on their own or in a typical trading vessel should presumably be very wary of a fight with a dragon?