Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Is it unreasonable for a trio of accomplished wizards to be scared stiff upon meeting an ago-old vampire with a confirmed reputation for bringing the magical hammer down on anyone who trespasses within his domain when they have no guarantee that this vampire is willing to hear them out and, if it comes to that, let them leave peacefully?

...And if not, how many centuries of studying Glamour would it take to make it reasonable?

It not happen really accidental it happens from using the same magic over and over and over that some of the aura get over to the next generation who then find it easier to cast this magic.

But I suspect its like genetic defects it can skip some generations before surface again.

The problem is that there is no magical short cut for improving the aura just hard work.

It not happen really accidental it happens from using the same magic over and over and over that some of the aura get over to the next generation who then find it easier to cast this magic.

But I suspect its like genetic defects it can skip some generations before surface again.

The problem is that there is no magical short cut for improving the aura just hard work.

Yet it seems the extent of the aura is seemingly random, repeatedly using similar magics may carry on to the child, or it may not. Seems accidental then. Also I don't think the aura is genetic in any way.

Probably some methods would be more effective than others at strengthening the aura (which is mostly a symptom of power and only a minor source), there just haven't been any conclusive (official) research in that area.

Stuff like improved % success at everything from character start, that's an aura effect as well, isn't it?

1. If I pick up your average, run-of-the-mill History textbook from the Venalicium library what ratio of "historic figure uses X and Y to accomplish Z" to "historic figure-to-be attempts A, resulting in B and C. Taking D and setting aside E he works towards F and so discovered X" would I get?

2. How hard does Schohanwicht come down on people studying Gates that are not under their umbrella? I imagine not too hard, can't risk making yourself into a public spectacle after all, but does your average Gates student have to worry about Schohanwicht's eyes just as much as the eyes of the law?

EDIT:

Reading through the topic I stumbled upon this.

2. What kind of pie is von Rupprecht's favorite?

[Redacted], obviously!

From Piaxenza Adventure 09:

Alright, you have your pumpkin, and Professor Finus Piaxenza has prepared his speech to convince the stubborn Professor Sixt von Rupprecht that threatening Professor Polisena Briardi is neither ethical or clever. All he needs is a Professor Sixt von Rupprecht.

Your plan is simple: Professor Sixt von Rupprecht has a fatal weakness for pumpkin pie, you know because you see him devour a whole platter at every one of the Academagia’s holiday functions. So you’re going to get him to walk straight into the jaws of reason, otherwise known as Professor Finus Piaxenza, with the irresistible allure of baking pumpkin pie.

And now you know why I need to learn Cooking. Because the alternative to this is both mean-spirited and probably not as helpful anyway.

Edited by Metis

Metis;

1. If I pick up your average, run-of-the-mill History textbook from the Venalicium library what ratio of "historic figure uses X and Y to accomplish Z" to "historic figure-to-be attempts A, resulting in B and C. Taking D and setting aside E he works towards F and so discovered X" would I get?

Probably much higher in favor of the former.

2. How hard does Schohanwicht come down on people studying Gates that are not under their umbrella? I imagine not too hard, can't risk making yourself into a public spectacle after all, but does your average Gates student have to worry about Schohanwicht's eyes just as much as the eyes of the law?

That is the right question. [Redacted]. ;)

• your average Gates student have to worry about Schohanwicht's eyes just as much as the eyes of the law?

• That is the right question. [Redacted]. ;)

I Thought so! It just makes too much sense. Regardless of the Schohanwicht school's doubtless many secret and [redacted] agendas, the #1 priority for them is clearly "The proliferation and continuation of the school of Gates".

We already know that they've destroyed many works of great Gates masters when the bans came, for the explicit puposes of minimizing underground admirers. Why would they do that? If there aren't any underground practicioners (outside of their careful control) there won't be any to get caught, and if there isn't any to get caught, then there must not be any at all. It's the oldest trick in the book: Make them think you're dead.

If one super talented Academagia student (*cough* not me...) started getting really good at Gates and got caught, all of a sudden the authorities would start looking for Gates stuff, and that endangers Schohanwicht, which therefore endangers Gates as a whole (as far as they are concerned, anyway)

I am really looking forward to resisting becoming part of their community, whilst simultaneously keeping them from wanting to kill me. (And if you read between the lines in their accepance letter they're not afraid to murder a whole village to keep their secret if necessary. Scary.)

Metis;

Probably much higher in favor of the former.

That is the right question. [Redacted]. ;)

That...is exactly what I wanted to hear :).

At least insofar as the first answer is concerned :huh:. I suppose someone who openly studied/practised Gates wouldn't live long enough to worry about Schohanwicht anyway, but still...going to have to...make a few small adjustments ;).

If I remember the Bat Familiar...bond adventure right vampires aren't limited with their magic innately...although they can be made limited. So you should be careful about choosing a sire (read: not the nutcase from the Bat adventure).

Why become a vampire, though? Seems to me like there's more downsides than upsides even if you're doing it right.

Well depends on how are the Elumian's vampire...

I mean sure immortality is nice but if the vampire are like those in most "serious" vampire setting aka becoming a pile of ash in contact of the Sun and having to "sleep" during the day they it's a pretty "meh" deal in my view.

As any lowly human (no need for mage) can pretty much obliterate you if he knows your location during day (since you can do s during daylight). of course the vampire should have protection (thrall, trap) but it's true that it's a pretty crippling disadvantage when you can't defend yourself in the better part of the day.

Which is often why Vampire are pretty secretive and hidden. As being exposed to the eyes of everyone is often as deadly as the Sun's ray.

Yet if you can access mortal magic same as anyone you can temporarily counter-act the effects of the sun or at the very least make your lair pretty much unassailable to anything but a determined group of mages. You could probably make a spell to wake you up if such a group came calling as well.

I also don't see how immortality would be a problem from a you'd-get-bored perspective but I guess that'd be a matter of perspective. I'm sure the type of person who sought it out would typically be very happy at the prospect at least for the first several centuries and it's not like you can't terminate your own existence if you change your mind.

Turning into a vampire would really be a huge waste for a teen though, considering the ages mages can reach it'd be better to live until you start aging a little in earnest before even considering it.

Also, if they can have kids are they even undead?

Yet if you can access mortal magic same as anyone you can temporarily counter-act the effects of the sun or at the very least make your lair pretty much unassailable to anything but a determined group of mages. You could probably make a spell to wake you up if such a group came calling as well.

I also don't see how immortality would be a problem from a you'd-get-bored perspective but I guess that'd be a matter of perspective. I'm sure the type of person who sought it out would typically be very happy at the prospect at least for the first several centuries and it's not like you can't terminate your own existence if you change your mind.

Turning into a vampire would really be a huge waste for a teen though, considering the ages mages can reach it'd be better to live until you start aging a little in earnest before even considering it.

Also, if they can have kids are they even undead?

Well I guess it vary with what people seek first and foremost: If it's immortality then sure it's a good deal I guess but if it's power you seek I don't think vampirism is that good. Sure you have "more time" I guess but I don't think a vampire is more powerful than a regular mage at least at the same age.

I guess if there are vampire thousand years old they must be freaking powerful. But they still have to deal with their weakness.

Since Vampire don't rule yet over men and remain mostly hidden for the common man sight I conclude there is something that prevent a different behavior: my guess goes for mortal mages and the Sun.

Yes it's a matter of perspective. Personally it's not so much getting bored that annoys me but the other "minor downsides" that goes along vampirism at least in setting where it's really a curse not a boon:

things like no more physical feeling be it pain or pleasure (carnal or not), emotional feelings that fade with time. Basically the only satisfying stimuli that stays with time is blood. That's not a really exciting eternity in my view when you are stuck with intellectual hobbies (blood excepted) until the time when even that emotion fade and you only do it because you used to like it. No surprise that vampire are considered undead.

So in the end it's only matter on what you are willing to sacrifice for a shot at immortality. I don't think it's worth it but that doesn't mean it's not for others.

...To say nothing of how vampre societies in fiction tend to be either really feral where only the strong surive, or else overly rigid where there are many rules set in place made to favor the oldest and most cunnng. Sometimes both. To be in either such a society for eternity, even if you were good enough to survive it, would still be a huge toll over centuries.

1. Is there a spell ingame that, without added Phemes and on a successful roll, deals more damage than Fire Shards (Finesse/Incantation Methods v4 for 2 damage, same v9 for another 2 damage, 3 damage regardless)?

EDIT: 2. I take a Gates-created Bag of Holding, and stuff a whole spear in there. I then dig a large hole, throw in a dome made of glass, put the bag inside the dome, and fill the hole with dirt. I than disrupt the enchantment on the bag so that it is no longer a Bag of Holding (or a Bag of Holding So Long As I Don't Say You're A Regular Bag, if you prefer) but a regular bag, which does not have enough space inside of it to house the entire spear.

2a: What happens to the spear?

2b: What happens to the glass dome around the bag?

2c: What happens to the dirt the bag is buried under?

2d: How possible is it to convince a layman that all of the above won't happen, but that instead something else happens that sounds logical to anyone who is banned from ever actually studying Gates?

Edited by Metis