Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

I recall the Legate said that 10-11 was equivalent to a lower level journeyman, which strongly implies that you could indeed get a decent magical job if you wanted it. We still haven't gotten info on what constitutes mastery of a skill.

What's the highest anyone in the Lore has scored on their finals?

I just got a 1630 in my Enchant final, for example.

(Yes, this is mostly me poking fun at the mechanics more than a serious question, but actually might make an interesting question for comparing characters to old legendary people that have passed through.)

Edit: If 10-11 is Journeyman, I guess 163 is Super master of superness. :-p

Sabin;

You are very close to being correct about that 4th Action Slot, although it's not always available to you. You'll see how the curfew and dorm room mechanics work in Year 2. smile.gif

Legate even back then you teased us with Year 2 and still not even a hint when it might get out?

Are at last the class we can take in Year 2 fixed by now?

Then lets also bring up the old questions again: :P

1) Are you allowed to share some more of the year 2 class and maybe even the requirment for them by now? (especial now that they are fixed)

2) Who was the mad Legate that fought the battle at the Academagia: Gym of the Mind some decades back?

3) How long is it back that the last Professor, Regent or Legate got killed while working for the Academagia?

4) How common is it that one of the Academagia faculty got killed?

5) Is there a known place that teach Arithmancy and will we give the option to learn it during our 5 years at Academagia even if not at the Academy it self?

6) What are the speed records for airships that A: Only rely on natural wind, B: Rely on steam (and maybe wind too, if they can get away with it), and C: Magically augmented speeds (probably the Red Ship).

(Also don't forget the reported DLC 17 bugs, and maybe your interested in the PM I have send you yesterday)

I really think that the team need to be pleaded with on the class list. It's important that we get access to it before long. That isn't something that should be released in the last second. The class information will be important for our choices going forward, and the longer we have to wait the less time we have to set up final saves.

Yes, we have pretty good saves, BUT they all were made with Y1 in context, As far as Y2 was concerned if we did something useful, it's more of a coincidence than any great planning..

• Like 1

We still know next to nothing on the class structure other than future classes require prerequisites. I'm fairly sure that it's not going to be a straightforward progression either. Since the general focus will be on specialization, we will probably see unlikely combinations of various skills being taught with you needing to know multiple base skills in order to effectively learn the new skills.

That's just a best guess until we get the Y2 class list though.

15 hours ago, SillyOne said:

Since we're all talking classes, do we have a clue which (if any) of the year 1 courses have the potential to be a full five year courses?

I have collected some info we got about year 2 here:

http://academagia.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=857

i.e. 4) What is the core focus of each College that will keep even till year 5?

(I think Aranaz = History, Avila = Astrology, Durand = Negation, Godina = Incantation, Hedi = Glamour, Morvidus = Familiar and Vernin = Artifice but I might be wrong)

You are essentially right.

Then lets also bring up the old questions again: (copied down here because of the discussion)

1) Are you allowed to share some more of the year 2 class and maybe even the requirment for them by now? (especial now that they are fixed)

2) Who was the mad Legate that fought the battle at the Academagia: Gym of the Mind some decades back?

3) How long is it back that the last Professor, Regent or Legate got killed while working for the Academagia?

4) How common is it that one of the Academagia faculty got killed?

5) Is there a known place that teach Arithmancy and will we give the option to learn it during our 5 years at Academagia even if not at the Academy it self?

6) What are the speed records for airships that A: Only rely on natural wind, B: Rely on steam (and maybe wind too, if they can get away with it), and C: Magically augmented speeds (probably the Red Ship).

(Also don't forget the reported DLC 17 bugs, and maybe your interested in the PM I have send you yesterday)

So with regards to the kings and queens of old, were Durand/Avila/Hedi/etc. their first or their family names?

PS, thanks for uglifying the forum something fierce. Seriously, all of the now awkwardly cut avatars, the giant mass of wasted space on both sides of my screen (you know, the kind of screen that new UI was made for, good to see that being promptly tossed in a fire), quote blocks that ceased functioning properly (if...Calwen72's(?) post above is anything to go by), the excessive line breaks everywhere, the significantly more clunky PM view. Truly, this is what this forum needed. All aboard the deskbile hype train :).

13 minutes ago, Metis said:

PS, thanks for uglifying the forum something fierce. Seriously, all of the now awkwardly cut avatars, the giant mass of wasted space on both sides of my screen (you know, the kind of screen that new UI was made for, good to see that being promptly tossed in a fire), quote blocks that ceased functioning properly (if...Calwen72's(?) post above is anything to go by), the excessive line breaks everywhere, the significantly more clunky PM view. Truly, this is what this forum needed. All aboard the deskbile hype train :).

To be fair it's not the Team's fault. It's whoever's running the forum software.

I fucking hate it too, I'll bet almost anything it was redesigned to be more 'mobile friendly'. It certainly gives me that 'modern I-hipster' trendy bullshit vibe that encompases everything wrong with modern OSes. Plus I think it's waaay too bloated and slow. Logging in took forever.

Also, What the hell happened to Schwarzbart? Calwen72!? WTF?

Try loading my mechanics FAQ topic. It looks like a hot mess and takes an eon to load. Can't imagine how bad it must be on an actual mobile. You know, the kind this was "designed" for.

Incidentally whoever's running the forum software can go ahead and fix it, 'cuz I'm not expending any effort on recalibrating a wheel after an ads-addicted nutjob on crack goes and "fixes" it.

Can't imagine what the Steam crowd is going to say to this. Just imagine them trying to look up some information and suddenly, bam: Ugly McUglysome everywhere.

Incidentally, can I ask what the Leaderboard up top is for? Are we going to be hosting forum  competitions or something?

As much as I love the game, it's desperately in need of a sort/search function (or having the wiki and a notepad open somewhere). If the steam crowd enjoy the game enough to come to the official forums, I don't think they'll be put off by the layout.

A layout that isn't even noticeably worse than a million other forums.

And out of interest, is there any plans to have a search/sort function in Year 2? The ability to sort my actions/abilities for ones which reduce stress, or to be able to simply search for a certain subskill to find out what skill it's under (as opposed to using the wiki, or manually clicking through them all) would be a massive QoL improvement.

Okay, I'll grant you that point. At least the search function still exists (though gods only know if it's at least on par with the old one). EDIT: It isn't.

There'll be some sort of search function in Y2. Rest assured, it's been suggested many a time before.

Incidentally, this whole automatic double line break is messing with me since I'm used to hitting Enter twice. That's going to be fun...

Edited by Metis

This question has probably been asked before, but I wonder what the statistics mean in terms of human achievement (e.g., does a fitness score of 1 = an average child, 3 an average adult, etc.). Obviously, wizards are not average, but if they were to be reduced to stats, what would the intelligence of a typical professor at the Academagia be?

That has been asked before, in fact the last time it was is literally on the last page ;).

PS, the forum keeping track of which emoticons I've used recently probably would be more useful if there was more than just the one small block worth.

On 04/05/2017 at 3:39 PM, Metis said:

IIRC an attribute of 1 is considered average, and anything beyond that is pretty much just speculation. Skill level 10/11 is generally the extend that anyone with enough time and a textbook can pick up without having to do serious research or finding a tutor (which, yes, will play into advancing skills further in Y2), although some part-time jobs don't even require that much.

I was that person and Metis was the answer-er.

An attribute of 1 being average and 10/11 being 'journeyman' level, combined with the difficulty of many checks, does explain why the world needs prepubescent adventurous children to solve all their problems for them.

miktami;

Typically yes, for the tutors.

For siblings, it's more often the case they are in the same College, but not necessarily.

And answers!

2)  The "mad legate" was Bonifatio Randsom, the Durand Regent was Mario Ghiberti, and the year was 1615.  It actually more or less set the stage for Odo Strada's duel (see the next answer), in that it led to citizens of Mineta demanding greater Guard involvement in Academy affairs.

That said, Randsom's Gates practices were never proven in Minetan courts, and the Guards were terrified of him - the rumors of Draconic voices being heard counseling him actually worked in his favor.  He remained Legate until his death (of relatively natural causes) in 1622.  Regent Ghiberti's faction then tried to get him installed as the next Legate, but he was a terrible politician and the efforts backfired; he retired from his academic positions under a cloud within a month of Randsom's death.

3)  It was probably in 1619: Professor Monterio's predecessor, Odo Strada (aka Odo the Learned), died in a duel with a lieutenant in what was then a very corrupt and dysfunctional Minetan Guard.  That said, Una Junger (the Negation professor before Briardi) resigned her position in 1650 specifically so that she would be out of office when she fought her last fight (long story), it's whispered that Piaxenza's predecessor was poisoned in 1646 (though it's probably not true), and we're still not quite sure what became of the previous Legate in late 1651.  There's plenty of grist for the rumor mill.  ;)

4)  Depends on the political climate.  Part of the oath Academagia faculty swear upon receiving their posts is that they'll defend Mineta from foreign aggressors and from "corruption" (which originally referred to draconic cults and dragons proper, but has also come to represent any crises that come bubbling out of magical gates), so in times of war or supernatural unrest the professors are very much on the front lines of the city's defenses, and are often specifically targeted by the other side; there have been decades when College Durand alone has sacrificed over a dozen Regents.

These days, survival rates are much higher.  Though, obviously, if anything happens to the Captain all bets are off...

5) We dare say the opportunity will present itself.  That said, Everard's work notwithstanding, strictly mathematical flavored magic is frowned upon in Mineta; it's largely seen as a Saisyne gimmick and a less artistic approach to enchantment - and the fact that it's begun to catch on in the Vilocian-speaking world doesn't help.

6) Steam propulsion isn't really a thing with airships, except in the northeast; enchantment is just more efficient and less dangerous than mechanical acceleration. Their major advantage is that they do not require wind, or a mage to create wind, in order to travel.  So, an airship propelled by wind alone can usually sustain speeds of up to thirty miles an hour for extended periods; the record is just over forty.

Things like the Red Ship - very rare things - are a different bag.  Almost no maneuverability, as a rule, but in practice they're supersonic (though technically most use Revision effects to compress distances in front of them, sort of, so that they're not actually traveling as far as they ought to be traveling - if that makes sense).  They're profoundly dangerous artifacts, really.