Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Could a dragon learn\cast Astrology? Or - seeing as the old gods are believed to be the force behind it - is it's practice entirely anathema to their nature?

What is the dragon's relationship with the gods? Do they practice any religion of their own, or do they merely view themselves as top of the food-chain?

How fundamental/universal are the different spell schools? I seem to recall a pheme being reclassified from mastery to a different school, which suggests there may be an arbitrary element to the schools.

For Astrology we already learned from the Legate that it is the only magic that Dragons can't use. That is one reason why some player like me think its very bad that this magic is in a slump.

The New Gods where humans fighting the Dragons so the dragons for sure not worship them. But as the new part say there was a religious system before them and we can suspect even the dragon believe in the old god.

The Dragon have taught the basic system of the different schools (beside Astrology) to the humans but after this the humans had many generations of mages that changed it. Many times such changes are actual just statements of current fashion but sometimes also of new understanding.

For reference, Bassan is the setting's Arabic. No clue what the local flavor of Chinese/Japanese is called, though. As for Dragons and Astrology spells, actually, there's this...one curious instance...

Which I don't want to spoil on one side, since it's a new thing, but on the other side the odds of anyone, let stand everyone just stumbling across it randomly, so...choices, choices

:(

31 minutes ago, Rhialto said:

Metis: Would you be kind enough to give us a hint about how to unlock this "curious instance"?

Eh...don't want to spoil but the odds of someone stumbling across it are just so low...I mean once you see it the condition is obvious, but without so much as a hint it'd literally be a case of "try everything" in a game like Academagia, with it's hundreds of practically everything. Counterargument: My hints tend to either be obvious or Sierra-level moon logic. Counter-counter argument: It'd be criminal not to try and point people towards [redacted], especially because I'd like to see if [redacted] does anything in [redacted]. Besides which, if I don't give a hint now people will just forget about it until they can read up on the spoiler when the new mod base is released, so time aside, there's little harm. That or [redacted], [redacted], [redacted].

In light of that the jury votes to give this "hint" thing a try:

One adventure to take the root from disaster, another adventure to take it to the temple. Once the nightmare ends you can get what you've asked for...though whether that's a good thing...you decide.

10 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

For Astrology we already learned from the Legate that it is the only magic that Dragons can't use. That is one reason why some player like me think its very bad that this magic is in a slump.

The Dragon have taught the basic system of the different schools (beside Astrology) to the humans but after this the humans had many generations of mages that changed it. Many times such changes are actual just statements of current fashion but sometimes also of new understanding.

I guess part of what I'm asking with this question is are certain spells - such as Beginner's Delving - beyond a Dragon's grasp. With spells like Cleanse and Remake I can understand, dragons do not seem to possess the piety that would be fundamental to that spell. But Beginner's Delving only requires (in game) knowledge of negation to learn and cast. So is there something inherit to that spell (and spells like it) that make a dragon incapable of casting it, or is it merely classified as an astronomy spell due to it's divination properties?

Of course, this seems like the kind of question that may not have a known in universe answer. Would I be correct in assuming studying dragon-lore would been seen as potentially suspect? After all, my understanding is the populace at large prefers to believe the dragon threat defeated - so would be less inclined to see you as someone searching for weakness in humanities' enemies and more inclined to see you as a potential cultist or sympathizer.

Edit:- For a new question I though of

As a follow up to Schwarzbart's question a few pages back. As Arithmancy is a relatively new art, it was presumably also not taught by the dragons. Additionally whereas Astrology is though to be a method by which the Old Gods communicate with mortals, some believe that the New Gods communicate with mortals via arithmetic. And - while my knowledge of in game Arithmancy is limited - in the real world it was a form of divination. Given these similarities (and that numerology is already considered astrology) would Arithmancy simply be considered to fall under the pillar of Astrology?

1) Will the NPC Student remember in year 2 if the player have cost them time slots trough i.e. abuse of Create Formal Invitation? (My current char love to invite Joana and Vettor to help with his adventures)

2) Will there other lasting ways to deal with your rival in year 2 beside duel, become friends with them or make them perform bad at school to kicked out?

Has any person currently at the Academagia been involved in astronautic exploration? This is not a joke question: the research for astronomy reveals that being a magical astronaut (called an astronaut) is a marginal, and theologically controversial field of research/exploration.

Also, how tense is the relationship between astronomers and astrologers, outside the astronaut controversy?

Do dragons know about Astrology despite being unable to use it? Like knowing the phemes and how it works, since anyone can study it but only few can actually use it

And are the dragons "dragons" or "wyverns"?

And what is the ration of human population vs dragon population, because for a while I've been wondering if there are more dragons thans humans, or if there are some dragons and they're just too strong to fight (and thus the retreat)

Are we talking about Smaug big or something else?

Say we do attempt to kill a dragon, how do we kill it? I mean do we need a particular weapon or metal to pierce through the skin. Otherwise I have no idea how the Order would attempt to hold the Dragons back on the Wall.