Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Might it be possible to justify studying mastery - from a practical, not a legal perspective - as a way to better counter it through negation magic? Synchronicity is itself a barely legal, very obscure, tradition whose guardians are very selective about whom they teach. Besides, by knowing much about the techniques of Mastery, surely one gains an ability to better counter it.

Rhialto;

The problem with the idea of "I'll learn Mastery so I can protect myself" ends up a pretty weak argument in of itself since you'll definitely use the skill sooner or later. Mastery has a way of getting control of its user, especially if they are inexperienced or just a generally weak spellcaster. There's also the issue that no matter how much you study there is always someone more skilled than you are. That's why legally that argument doesn't stand a chance, and from person to person it just sounds morally dubious. That being said, you COULD have serious willpower and never use Mastery, but there's always societies "what if" fear

I think that question was already asked I believe.

The most glaring problem if I remember is that having say 10 in Mastery means you had to cast spells if only to practice (afterall you know how to cast Mastery spells/phemes at this level).

Which indeed make the defence "I will never use it" a bit difficult to argue.

Altough I think (not sure) that you can get away with only increase Theory of Mastery wich as the name imply is mostly knowledge of the pillar rather than magic abilities. But even then you will raise a lot of suspicion.

If I remember right the average cutoff point for mastery in game terms would be something like 2. After that point it's close to impossible to weasel your way out of punishment. Once you hit 10 or 11 you're a flat out journeyman at mastery and so had to have cast spells to refine your techniques. So the argument that you only learn it to know how to negate it could work on a personal level. But society wise you are getting the hammer.

Plus, as far as we've been told, there isn't a protection spell against Mastery using Mastery. The way you would protect yourself using Mastery is the Master the Master Mastering you (heh heh, try saying that hecka fast)

Actually, if I recall correctly there's an event that suggests that you can't Master someone who's already being Mastered, so in theory it might be possible to protect yourself against Mastery by using it on yourself.

Wouldn't recommend it, but hey, it might work.

Of course there is a small problem that anyone who knows a little negation can determine you used a magic on yourself that is banned on use under penalty of death.

I guess whether you use it or not is determined on whether you fear a certain fate as being worse than death itself literally.

Also, Legate, Any new from the team yet?

What did teachers do when a student accidentally mastered themselves Legate? Stuff like that must have happened pretty often right? Is there a way to reverse the effects without damage? I'm assuming if someone masters themselves their minds might turn to jell-o

Has there ever been a case where someone was mastered without even knowing it? As in they lived their life normally, but the whole time they were also mastered? Or does all mastery result in a "glazed over eyes" kind of situation?