Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. Did Schohanwicht, the wizard, personally (help) found the school of the same name, or was it merely named after him?

2. Is it known whether the above had any recognized children, adopted or otherwise?

3. are there some public known Gate Mages that can still live a "normal" live beside Mjolnier (or how he is called)? 

4. How many mage can and actual want to live a normal live like a normal human without magic?

5. Can we get the direct edit mode again? The Visual mode is complete broken for me when I use quote and /quote

2 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

3. are there some public known Gate Mages that can still live a "normal" live beside Mjolnier (or how he is called)? 

The Legate has said that those Master wizards from before the ban were left alone so long as they didn't use or teach the magic. I'm sure there are a few around still, but they probably don't advertise it.

Edit: Legate, News?

Metis;

1) it was named for him.

2) Before I answer, I better ask the Team. :)

3) Yes, although I don't know their names.

4.) How many mage can and actual want to live a normal live like a normal human without magic?

Hmmmm. They are able to at any time, simply by not practicing- it's rare, though.

5. Can we get the direct edit mode again? The Visual mode is complete broken for me when I use quote and /quote

Sure, I'll ask!

Free;

Nothing yet!

Neither of those questions ended up getting immediately [redacted]? Sure, that works.

Also, question: Can you get afflicted in Y2 with Temptation of Gates even if you have Dispassion/Espionage 4? I vaguely recall Emotions working differently in Y2, and frankly, that one in particular...just such a waste to completely destroy it through bringing either (sub)skill to such a relatively low level...:)

Legate:

1. Are there any religious or philosophical movements that discourage the use of magic as unnatural or Draconic?

2. When do you think that you might have news?

3. Can astrology be useful in other universes that are accessed by gates magic? That is, can a competent astrologer apply the suite of astrological knowledge to gain benefit in another universe? has any done this?

4. How common is the imbuing of armour with negation magic to protect wearers against magic? or can only enchantment do this?

Metis;

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe so.

Rhi;

1) Not really. There are some ascetic movements that reject all the Pillars but Astrology as being tainted by the Dragons, but magic is viewed as entirely a natural phenomenon.

2) That's up to the Team. :)

3) It's really unclear from any of the surviving materials...

4) Enchantment is best for this, but it's possible to do it in a way via Negation. It's pretty rare to associate it with a physical object, since applying such a ward to a person is far simpler.

Schwarzbart;

Only a Student at the school would know this, of course, but:

Schohanwicht did not found the school, but he did construct the original building. The earliest structure was originally an observatory which he called the [Redacted].  It was also meant to be [Redacted] but the plans for its construction and sublime Revisions died with the great man himself.  Some say he returned as a woman eighty-odd years after his death, but that Schohanwicht had entirely different priorities.

That said, it was his acolytes (and their descendants) who really wanted the place to be a school of the same quality as the Academagia, albeit with a more concentrated curriculum, and they were the ones that chose to give it his name.

Schohanwicht had two sons, Marcobaudes and Meroric, but neither was a wizard of any note.  Marcobaudes was a historian and a diplomat, and was often delegated the awkward business of explaining to local lords exactly why his father had, say, punched a sulfur-spewing hole in the sky; all that's remembered of Meroric is that he died in a barroom brawl at the age of 24, and that his father refused to consider the idea of contacting his departed spirit because "I would no more ask that one to describe the world which awaits us all than I would ask a baboon to compose a motet."

1 hour ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Some say he returned as a woman eighty-odd years after his death, but that Schohanwicht had entirely different priorities.

Haha, I'd love to hear that story someday. I seriously doubt you can take that at face value, but in the unlikely event that it was true, being reincarnated as a different gender would screw with you, plus a lot can happen in 80 years. Did this person admit to being a Schohanwicht or did people assume it because of skill? You'd only have a conversation about something like this with Gates and Revision magics, lol.

In fairness, reincarnation can be said to happen as many different species, so why not different sexes/genders?

This leads me to 3 questions:

1. How common is belief in reincarnation/rebirth/metempsychosis?

2. Is there much magic that studies or deals with or tries to control souls? Mastery deals with the mind, but, for example, is there magic that attempts to bind souls to given locations as ghosts or revenants?

3. There are real life movements that urge people to abstain from natural things (such as meat or alcohol) for moral reasons. Is there any similar movement in Elumina claiming that only those who do not use magic can achieve heights of morality?

Given that the man is a Gates master I would not be surprised if he found a way to cheat death at least for a while. With all this summoning (soul) thingy.

Altough if we are talking about reincarnation as common/uncontrolled occurence this lead to some interesting questions... .

Why are baronies and counties and duchies of inconsistent size? Some baronies, for example, are very large, and some duchies are very small. were they more rationally sized relative to each other during the time of the Emperors, or are all territories ranked in power according to something other than land area?

11 minutes ago, Rhialto said:

Why are baronies and counties and duchies of inconsistent size? Some baronies, for example, are very large, and some duchies are very small. were they more rationally sized relative to each other during the time of the Emperors, or are all territories ranked in power according to something other than land area?

This happened in real life in many places. Titles are usually a matter of convention, its not a situation where you get a more prestigious title just because you're more powerful or have more land. 

To be fair while it was certainly possible for some less prestigious title to be de facto more powerfull than more prestigious title olders this was rather exceptionnal rather than the norm in medievial Europe especially after the dark ages when feodality was more established and more rigid.

No Baron that could claim to be as or more powerfull than a Count or Duke for exemple.

Just compare for exemple Meril and medieval France:

http://sapiento.deviantart.com/art/Elumia-188317075

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domaine_royal_français#/media/File:Map_France_1030-fr.svg

As to why my guess is that since nobody is there to set the rule/grant new titles since the collapses of both the Empire and the Kingdoms (execpt aucesnay). Noble titles are stuck since Imperial times and are not "upgraded" to aknowledge the fortunes and misfortunes of the nobles families during the passing millenias.

Plus those noble titles do not seem to work like irl since apparently a Kingdom can go extinct if the line of King does too which of course does not happen irl. (and really is virtually impossbile in a system where both men and women can inherit, there is always a royal branch somewhere legitimate enough to take the throne except if said dynasty lasted for a generation or two).

As far as I know there's no taboo, just no Emperor with the authority to actually update the state of nobility from what it was when the last Emperor held power several centuries back. As for the lack of a successor despite the vast swaths of people who'd logically qualify for the throne, the reason why that's the case in universe depends on who you ask, but odds are good it relates to the Calamities.

Personally I'd argue that the theological argument seems plausible, since a royal bloodline that traces it's lineage back to the New Gods and rules with that as their claim to authority losing the support of said New Gods...kind of a problem, but who knows. Maybe Puppet Strings got involved instead, you never know.

So I'm trying to cast Unmask Spellcaster (Fitness/Enspell v. 6) with 5 Fitness and 1 Enspell, no other modifiers, which the game interprets as a black check. I.E. 50% chance of success or failure. I can roll any number including or between 0 to 10 with my Fitness, which means I can roll a total of 11 numbers.

How, exactly, does this translate to a 50/50 chance of success/failure?

I does. Intelligence 6/Negation 6 trying to cast Beginner's Dispel with a d4 Pheme added to it (total v.7) correctly displays as a blue roll - since if I roll a 0, it fails.

Incidentally, but could the default color font options include darker colours? The default "strong" blue is far too light against the bleached post-it notes forum.

Is the die roll actually linear? Also the wiki seems to indicate that you can roll fractions which (assuming there's no rounding and it's a simple check to see if you beat the target number) would, I think, be enough to put it near enough 50/50 even if linear.

Eh...let's see, if you could roll 0.0 to 2.0 on a 1 attribute, you'd have 0.0 through 0.9 = 10 possible numbers plus another 10 from 1.0 to 1.9 plus 1 from 2.0 which equates to a possible 21 numbers to roll, which can't ever be an exact 50% chance that a black check claims to be. And it doesn't matter how large a fraction it is, since any number of decimal spaces times the even 10 possibilities that it adds always equates to an even number, plus the one X.infinite 0 always gets an uneven number, so no even 50/50 chance is possible.