Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

4 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Freespace can answer the question about mastering multiple Pillars. ;)

It's absolutely possible to master 2 pillars of Magic. I would say it's neither common nor uncommon to master 2 pillars. It's even possible to master even more, but the odds of getting all that learning done in the 5 year education of the Academagia is unlikely. I intend prove that it is possible to master ALL the pillars of magic, including Gates and Mastery! Because I believe that even the banned magic has wonderful potential if one does not abuse it.

6 hours ago, Rhialto said:

How common are those mages who master 2 pillars of magic?

The consent within the team appears to be that for extending your live you need a good understanding in both Revision and Artifice and so there should be not to few who have this 2 pillar plus their actual focus.

I think what has been said is that mastering a single pillar of Magic during the 5 years at Academagia is already quite a feat by itself. 

Also a pillar master is quite highly viewed in the setting so I would assume mastery of a pillar is not given to everyone. In fact if I had to guess I would say that only a few of the professors in Academagia itself could pretend to such a title. Most of the regents certainly and maybe some other professors maybe. 

Mastering two pillars in the 5 years is basically genius level. Only a few people in centuries managed that feat if I am not mistaken, one of the recent one being that guy in the Vernin adventure (also a former Vernin student!) who  I think nailed Revision and Enchant but since then he probably broaden his skills... .

I would also add that except Orsi, there doesn't seem to be any professor who seem to have reached that level yet but I could be mistaken.

For more all I can remember is that nobody ever mastered all pillars of magic or at least there are some legends about it but no confirmed one.

26 minutes ago, isadorbg said:

I would also add that except Orsi, there doesn't seem to be any professor who seem to have reached that level yet but I could be mistaken.

I maintain that Professor Knoht is more than she appears to be, but that's just my personal theory.

53 minutes ago, dyrhet said:

I would assume a considerable number of professors at the Academagia are considered masters. They are, after all, professorial staff at the most famous magical university in the world. It probably attracts a lot of top talent.

Honestly I doubt it. I mean I am almost certain that Briardi, Storey or Piaxenza are masters of their respective college pillar. And Badcrumble and Von Rupprecht probably are too.but I doubt Massioti and Alazzo are. Their bio clearly point out their deficiencies (altough it might only be pedagogical skills for Massioti).

And that's for the Regents who are the cream of the teacher in the school.

As for professors required to be masters to teach at Academagia I agree... But not in necessarily master of magic. The last two Regent aformentionned for exemple had other skills that made valued by the Academy and professors in non-magical classes really do not need to be that proficient in magic only in teaching their own subjects. 

The Legate also confirmed that it's not unheard to have non-mage teaches subject in academagia so there's that.

Even for those who teaches magical classes they only teach first years so here again does not mean they are masters

Are Ringraeyer and Aventyrare the equal of Piaxenza and Storey ? It might be the case but not necessarily that's why I put a maybe here.

44 minutes ago, Darkness said:

It really should be only one pillar,  but i think everyone has their own idea what a master is. Not taking the advanced classes or doing research would you still call yourself a master of said pillar? Research topics wll go to 20 in year 2 so the gap wil only get bigger.

Orso, or any professor for that matter are not a good comparasion to a player for they are way beyond Y5 and had much more time to learn.

I agree. The Academagia do provide certificates for their students who achieved such level of mastery and probably other Academies of magic too altough what is judged to be mastery probably varies between Academies too. ;)

Err don't write of Aventyrare ... I personal suspect she is even the person knowing the most about Revision from all the Professor and Regent we have in year 1! Or do you think she could simple hand out pheme only a handful people know as favor to a 1st year  if she is not a Master of Revision?

Because this thread get flooded by a discussion here my question once again: (deleted the old posting where I only was asking this)

Was there a change to the contend as well in the new Update? At last from what I can read at http://steamcommunity.com/games/533480/announcements/detail/2790391902840164238 there should be nothing changed in the content.

You mean the Corrode pheme ?

It says in the description that only 5 people in the islands of Mineta know it and 3 teach at Academagia.

Since we know Ringrayer knows it that leave 2 professors, one of them maybe being Storey and the other Orsi (my guess).

I mean she's probably quite skilled in Revision but does her knowing a legendary pheme make her a Master ? Is our PC a master of Revision because s/he learned Corrode ?

I am not saying she is not btw. Just that with what we know of the year 1 professors (except the regents) they may or not be absolute masters plus the professors that teaches other years might also be more talented (or not). 

Just have not enough evidence either way. I leave it at maybe.

Speaking of mastery of a pillar, I am curious about Euneycia. We know she is a powerful Gates user, and also has been referred to with the title of 'Mother' which is 100% guaranteed tied to powerful Gates users. But she has been described as having 'all the smarts of the professors at the Academagia combined' albeit more as a suspicion the player character makes. I can't help but wonder what she would know of the other pillars, especially Revision.

But as for the Academy's professors, I'd agree that Aventyrare is likely a powerful Revisionist. The only thing that has been said against her is that she likes flashy magic too much, and this implies that she knows more than that which is required to do the job. Her personality traits go against the grain of the conservative atmosphere expected of staff at the academy. It didn't say she's incompetent.

Knoht knows enough of several pillars to be a substitute. She's been said only to know enough to answer questions, but not enough to sound authoritative, but then I wonder how badly her amnesia negatively influences her ability. It could be that her knowledge isn't all that it once was, and so I am very interested in that, as well.

And personally, I am curious about Professor Badcrumble. As regent, she knows her stuff, obviously, but her focus on decorum and tradition leads me to wonder if she was a political appointment and that there aren't any more powerful Astrologers in Avila.

13 minutes ago, freespace2dotcom said:

And personally, I am curious about Professor Badcrumble. As regent, she knows her stuff, obviously, but her focus on decorum and tradition leads me to wonder if she was a political appointment and that there aren't any more powerful Astrologers in Avila.

That's sort of the impression I got from bits of two of the new Avila adventures, actually. If nothing else I'm fairly sure she was appointed to her position relatively recently, like within the past five years or so.

Divinatio was discovered and perfected in 1622, though, which I want to say doesn't add up with Badcrumble's age? She takes offence to the suggestion of having taught an Avila alumni who IIRC was described as "barely past twenty, if that" because, and as far as I remember I do quote, "I'd rather not know how old you think I am". I'm probably misreading something horribly, but...*shrugs*.

...Wasn't Schohanwicht supposed to be reincarnated and return as an old woman, actually? That'd be an...interesting twist.

EDIT: Okay, so I checked it ingame and, eh...yeah. Here's the relevant quote from A Dance with the Boys 08 main text:

The professor sighs, and looks at each of you. Despite the tone in her voice it's not a look of anger or frustration. It's disappointment. "From where, do you guys think, did that merry band of selfish idealistic idiots learn the magic they cast? Francis - or Successhands, as you know him - as well as most of his entire 'crew' used to be Avila students, you know."
"You taught them?" Cosetta asks.
Regent Badcrumble manages a wry smile. "I don't think I want to know how old you think I am. I was four years ahead of Francis here, dear; we were all students together, for a little while.
"It was... well, I won't bore you with the politics, but it was a strange time. Avila was supposed to be girls-only, but a little kerfluffle at College Aranaz left us with a group of boys who had nowhere else to be. Regent Scarletti accepted them, and then she left and Acting Regent Kratz took over. And she was... difficult
"Anyway. I didn't know Francis particularly well, but my friends and I tried to look out for them while we were here. And when I came back to the school and assumed Regency, he contacted me immediately, with wild plans and dirty money and Gods know what else."

So...help? Legate?

By my count, that'd put Badcrumble's age around 25. 30, if you want to be really generous. Divinatio's description would put her around 55, again if you're being generous (at least I think being an Academagia professor at age twenty is being at least somewhat generous).

Edited by Metis

What a fascinating dilemna. Divination was discovered 36 years before the game by Badcrumble but according to her she is younger than that!

Oh the possibilities... .

Altough Badcrumble is really younger than 30 years old ? Damn she is quite young for a regent (and even a professor).

Maybe the divinatio pheme was discovered in 1622 but Badcrumble made it useful and relevant to such an extent that she might as well have discovered it as far as magic and popular opinion are concerned. Certainly, her being able to find practical uses for a pheme that had previously been regarded as useless might explain her being a regent despite her youth.

Questions:

1. Is the Silent Lady using telepathy with her Voice?

2. How thoroughly do the triplets conceal their close relationship at Academagia? because when the PC helps with Ilaro, the story is that they are not known to be close friends within Academagia.

3. Are there gorillas in Cyve?

10 minutes ago, Rhialto said:

Maybe the divinatio pheme was discovered in 1622 but Badcrumble made it useful and relevant to such an extent that she might as well have discovered it as far as magic and popular opinion are concerned. Certainly, her being able to find practical uses for a pheme that had previously been regarded as useless might explain her being a regent despite her youth.

Here's the description of the Pheme:

Meaning "Future Seeing" in Old Elumian, the Divinatio Pheme was discovered and perfected by Professor Badcrumble of the Academagia in 1622. Kept under tight wraps, she only shows this Pheme to her most favored students. Those who learn this Pheme are told not to teach it to anyone else, but Professor Badcrumble knows it's only a matter of time before word leaks out. When it does, she intends to make her wrath known to whoever blabs, especially if that student happens to be a he.

So unless that description was changed since DLC 15 (and to be fair it very well might have - I'll see about getting ingame confirmation...) it sounds like she discovered and perfected the Pheme in 1622. However, upon closer inspection I see that description doesn't confirm she was a professor at the time, so she could have discovered it when she was younger. Still, even if she discovered and perfected the Pheme at age...let's say 10, which would make her an unapologetic Astrology and general magic genius (for reference, the whole process of discovering and refining Phemes isn't even taught to Academagia first years, who are usually aged around 12-13), that would put her age around 45 when Y1 takes place. For A Dance With the Boys to make sense, she'd need to be barely pushing her mid-twenties. Clearly, unless I'm missing something obvious, there's still a problem here...

Alright, I'm not sure if I got all the questions, but...

Schwarzbart;

No CP yet. But that will have some surprises in it. :)

Darkness;

1) It is a new mechanic.

2) As long as they are imperial citizens, it's no problem. The Courts tend to be amused by this sort of thing.

Metis;

That has to be a mistake, but I'm not sure where. I don't think it's intentional. That's not to say Badcrumble doesn't have her own mysteries, of course...;)

Rhi;

1) [Redacted]

2) It's not very well known at all. Perhaps they even discourage it.

3) Yes. And on the isles, Baminta is famous for its deadly man-eating varieties.

1 minute ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Schwarzbart;

No CP yet. But that will have some surprises in it. :)

Fun surprises :)?

1 minute ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Metis;

That has to be a mistake, but I'm not sure where. I don't think it's intentional. That's not to say Badcrumble doesn't have her own mysteries, of course...;)

In case it matters, I'll point out that The Quest for the Tipsy Fairy also had some text edited to reflect Professor Badcrumble's recent appointment as Avila's Regent ;).

So my theory was right.

If Orsi were known to be helping Ilaro escape, could he face the death penalty?

Will a certain clockmaker's daughter be a possible fresh-woman (first year student) in Y2?

Why was there little suspicion that Professor Storey's giant lizard was related to or a subspecies or an agent of dragons?