Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

@Schwarzbart: Do you have a link to this claim?

Legate: How are regents of colleges made? are they appointed by the Legate of Academagia? is there a process according to which professors teaching core subjects of colleges provide advice/vetoes? Are any current regents (such as Giovanni di Lucca Alazzo) rumoured to have secured their positions through bribery? Did any past regents secure their positions through bribery?

Rhi;

Regents are selected by the Regents of the Academagia, with the Legate of the Academagia providing tie breaking votes. The Regents of the Academagia aren't, confusingly, the same as the Collegiate Regents, but are made up instead of former alumni, influential leaders and others invited to provide governance.

There are always rumors. ;)

To quote Tower of the Cold Forge 07:

"Anyway," [Lambert] continues, "I figured you'd be going in sometime, so I kinda cast some spying spells on you. Little ones. Y'know, just to be sure you'd be okay. So I know about Time Slice, and... yeah, here's the thing. Our man Giovanni di Lucca Alazzo doesn't know it, not one pheme. You can ask him yourself if you like, and if you're willing to put up with hemming and hawing and dodging the subject for hours on end. The thing is, he's not a Grandmaster Enchanter. He got the Vernin job because he could fundraise the pants off a dragon with a trouser fetish and he's been learning the ropes as he goes, but he's not Old Vernin material. The stuff the people who made this tower knew? He's as much in the dark about it as anyone else. Even the Legate's been beating his head against Time Slice since he got here."

So di Lucca Alazzo isn't rumored to have bought his position, he's all but confirmed to have done so.

@MetisI interpreted that part of the adventure in a different way; it did not explicitly say that di Lucca Alazzo had bought the position; rather, it linked his elevation to his fundraising ability. I interpreted this as meaning that he was appointed, as far as Lambert knows, because of his skill at fundraising, which could be applied to Vernin. This does not mean that di Lucca Alazzo did not buy his position (I suspect that he did), but I would not hold that quotation to be the confirmation that you hold it to be.

How plausible is it that Academagia could honestly have no knowledge that there is a passage to the Schohanwicht School near their school?

No, he didn't buy the position. Not directly anyway. I doubt just anyone could do the job.

He got it because Vernin is hurting financially and they decided that putting up with a non-enchanter for a few years is tolerable if he can help bring balance back into the ledger.

9 minutes ago, Darkness said:

By fundraiser, i understand that he is sharp enough to get people to donate to Vernin, not taking the money from his bank account per si.

Exactly. Think of him as a high class salesman. He's capable of projecting the image of Vernin that parents and alumni want to see, which translates to pims for the college.

Good points, but I don't really see that as a meaningful distinction. At the end of the day he got his position because he put money on the table, be it his money or someone else's money, not because he was qualified for his position. Not that "mercantile acumen and resourcefulness" isn't literally part of Vernin College's description, or that di Lucca Alazzo doesn't qualify in that respect, but his Enchant skills are...lacking.

Fair point. I guess that Di Lucca Alazzo may have been able to outmaneuver the genuinely great enchanters. But that must leave him with enemies among the truly skilled enchanters, right, Legate?

Also, can Mastery grant animals greater levels of intelligence?

Here are some questions:

1. If one were to ask Tabin, Magsa, and Sima where they were from, what would they answer? The only one I can guess at is Sima, who might claim (with an aura of casual innocence) to be Renaglian, in keeping with her name.

2. Would their answers be honest?

3. can Mastery grant animals greater levels of intelligence?

Legate;

1. While Temporary revisions can be made to make one thinner or fatter, what kind of magic exists to help lose or gain weight permanently as needed?

2. If a person was petrified, smashed into several pieces, revised back into a whole, and then de-stoned, would the person survive?

3. Since there are examples of Mastery magic lingering in people long after it had been cast, I'm curious if Mastery has any permanence? Or is it merely that damage done by the magic can't be healed easily? Were there cases of students accidentally putting themselves into comas back when it was legal to use it?

Does the increase in answers about how we should do things in game that we cannot yet do in game (such as ask the triplets where they are from) mean that Y2 is getting closer to completion?

Is boxing recognized as a sport separate from wrestling? what about the pankration?