Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Would I learn the answer from playing either of their adventures? They are such unpleasant characters that I have little interest in exploring them.

Also, would it be an impediment to a professor's career if he or she were to be known to be involved heavily in Arithmancy research? What about if the professor were to be a known and strident advocate of re-elevating Orthography as its own pillar?

Regarding Philippe and Joana,

For Philippe, there's an event where he's protecting a kitten from a troll... and another where you can peak into his room to see that he's working on a plushie... Ah, and in the revision adventure with Rui, there's some indication that he tried to resist (behind the scenes) against the nefarious plot at the end.

And it seems to be strongly hinted that Joana is the candy-loving girl saved by the player's character in the Negated background...

So there's likely more to these characters than just being first-year bullies. ;)

Also I wonder if Zoe is the student from Oursouk since she's always going on about speaking in Draconic.... heh. (And what's with commandeering her dorm into a flying vessel to use for cheat sheet deliveries. Some how I think that'd be a bit problematic considering the wards on the dorm and the school itself. The guards don't notice a dorm building flying around? The swaying doesn't wake any students -- what about ones still up studying? And no students are sneaking in or out during that time? Wonder if that exit shouldn't be re-written to something a bit more believable...)

Well considering in the adventure it's a matter of Enchantment... I'm assuming nothing was done about negating the wards (and apparently commandeering the dorm would be a regular thing as long as Zoe continued her business). I suppose she could conceivably enchant her dorm *room* to separate from the dorm and re-attach when done, but that seems a bit excessive for a first year that has trouble changing the color of things or levitating out of pits...BTW, @Legate of Mineta (practicing my summon Legate spell) can you say whether choosing the squirrel route or the enchanted dorm route has a differing effect on Y2, or does it only take into account successful completion?

BTW, one of the Durand/Aranaz adventures does discus circumventing the wards to get access to the dorm, but I don't remember the details (something about safely making a hole in the wall or something if I recall).

My assumption, upon hearing that an Oursouki student is in Y1, was Rixenda, since she is the most eccentric student. That makes me wonder:

@Legate of Mineta: How many professors know that one student is Oursouki? was there a deliberate effort to conceal this from others? would the presence of a confirmed Oursouki student at Academagia cause great tension, paranoia, and fear in Mineta?

Legate, since the books written in Draconic are locked away from the average person due to [redacted] reasons, are there any stipulations for people who speak it? at least on campus?

Also, is it possible for a non-dragon to speak in high draconic? Or was the lower variant specifically created to make it easier for the Dragon's slaves to speak it? What are the main differences?

Will Y2 have support for situations during adventures where a clean PC can knock on a professor's door and get help with some problem safely, whereas an illegal magic PC has to do things him/herself because even if the problem in question was in no way his/her fault s/he'd still be investigated?

Whoa, that's a lot of questions. ;)

Alright!

Rhi - Yes, and you have no doubt encountered some in your adventures. Some exist in the menagerie.

Schwarzbart;

It's believed that volnauge has no impact on the height at which islands float.

Rhialto;

That depends on which College and where...;)

Ry;

I cannot comment. ;)

Rhi;

[Redacted]

Free;

It is not possible to speak High Draconic, although in legend, some heroes were able to. The Low version was indeed created for slaves. More than this is [Redacted]. ;)

Metis;

Not as freeform as that, but...kind of. ;)

Remember that Mineta is the Capital of the Old Empire. Technically, most of Elumia belongs or belonged to this empire so, it would be awfully weird for Mineta to have any diplomatic ties in that way. It would be beneath the dignity for an empire to establish "foreign relations" with an entity that it has some ancient claim on.

I could see it to be similar to the Imperial Chinese model where subject nations have their people travel to the Imperial capital to paid tribute and handle diplomatic incidents rather than the Imperials heading to their nation. Also if the Empire ever regains its strength, I am pretty sure they are going to attempt to retake all former territories. If they ever regain power.

That would only happen if there was a new Emperor, and even then it's an if. Depending on the type of person they were, they might just find it prudent to leave things as they are and secure commitments for an allied front for defense against the dragons. Not just soldiers at the last second, but long term commitments of workers and mages to reinforce the Wall and other likely important positions in the worst case scenario. I'd bet the dragons would invade right in the middle of a major war between humans. That way they'd already be softened up.

Legate, are there any known dragons to have been around since the human rebellions began?

Mineta is kind of like Rome without the benefit of the Catholic church though, an influential little rump state with considerable international prestige but probably very little practical political clout. I very, very much doubt that the outlying Elumian states pay any sort of tribute to Mineta. My guess would be that it's like early modern Europe and most large states are just starting to get into the business of maintaining permanent ambassadorial staff in each other's countries. I would imagine for reasons of prestige almost all of them at least try to send some kind of representative to Mineta. I think Free is right that sending embassies to others would probably be below Mineta's Imperial dignity, but I think they'd probably do it anyway, at least to important states and close neighbours. In our world Hapsburg Austria and the Papal States maintained relations with other countries after all. You need to keep an eye on people.

As to the empire retaking its former territory, well... there's a difference between wanting something and being able to do something. It seems difficult to believe that even if a new emperor was appointed, unless there was a truly catastrophic event to unite everyone behind them, that the empire will ever be its former size. Meril is supposedly on the rise, no? What do you think would happen if someone from outside Meril tried to put a pretender on the imperial throne. How would the Meriliens react to this challenge to their growing power?

Is the Alesfan government aware of how comparatively insignificant Mineta is as a political hegemon? because this could cause the Alesfans to reconsider the use of their maintaining an embassy in Mineta (causing complications for Malthesar Mhadi).

I personally think that the Alesfans would have been better sending an embassy to Meril or Auncusay, since both are politically powerful regions. The Auncestrians even maintain their kings, providing centralized authority/