Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

@Rhialto my suspicious is that the failed Student you encounter at the forest of broken pines is actual a master of bound despite have no magic talent at all. That is also the reason he first was thought to have a magic talent and got to Academagia. (but that is redacted area for the Legate so no reason to ask)

1. How common is it that after the year started it is discovered that a student have no magic talent at all? 

1. Magic talent is not akin to genes for magic, though, right? Any human who knows the phemes and can write them can perform magic, right?

2. Are there any negative stereotypes about the masculinity of boys in Avila?

3. Are there areas of magic that are very esoteric, obscure, and surrounded by taboos but not forbidden (that is, akin to synchronicity)? how much research is done into the nature of the familiar bond or ways to replicates forbidden pillars of magic through non-forbidden phemes/pillars?

4. Is there an agreed-upon definition of what an entity needs to be/have/do/something to qualify as a god? Like Octavius and Isol are treated as gods, and their children are treated as gods, but why don't their grandchildren hold the same status (unless the answer to that is "they never had any", I suppose)?

5. Separately, do Dragons have their own definition of what constitutes godhood, and if yes, do those definitions sometimes boil down to "being me-actually, try that again: Being Me" ;)?

6. How would the Imperial Temple react to someone who actively worked to get as close to godhood as possible, for the explicit purpose of being able to guide/control (depending on who you ask) his/her flock forever?

7. If someone openly questioned the definition of a god, not necessarily to...defame? *Shrugs*. Not necessarily to defame the New Gods, just in general, how would people react?

8. A heretic caught using Gates magic to try and deify himself I imagine would be put to death, since that's a death sentence on two separate counts, but would such an individual's execution be made something special? Like some horrible form of punishment that is not wasted on your average serial killer? (That's assuming Schohanwicht didn't get to him first, at any rate...)

Yeah, I'm cooking something. Slow going, though :rolleyes:.

Rhi;

1) Correct.

2) I imagine it's the subject of a lot of teasing, yes. :)

3) Definitely. For Bonds, not very much, or very much recently. For the Proscribed Pillars, the nature of replicating those effects is in of itself Proscribed, so...not very well known. :)

4) That is the basis of Theology in Elumia. For that kind of thing, you'll have to delve into the Lores...

5) It's unknown what, if any, entities the Dragons worship, unless it is the Stranger.

6) Negatively. :)

7) It depends on how well anyone understood the argument being made. ;)

8) There are too many factors to know exactly what would happen- much would depend on how public the transgressions were, I would think.

1. Magic talent is not akin to genes for magic, though, right? Any human who knows the phemes and can write them can perform magic, right?

Correct.

2) Isn't this contradicted in the Broken Pines Adventure because there we learn about a past student with no magic talent and the Morvidus adventure where we help a trickster that already know how spells work to gain his hand on a artifact that he finally can use magic?

3) Wasn't it mentioned that the magic aura pass at last in parts from parents to child and so the actual talent in magic also should be a question of heritage.

4) Is there any concrete difference between Alchemy and Chemistry in Elumnia ? If so what differs from our world understanding of both ?

5) Is there an equivalent to the philosophical stone ? The one that can turn any metal into another (preferably gold) and grant immortality and other neat things.

Schwarzbart;

2) The dexterity and intelligence needed to draw a Pheme does apply certain limits, and of course, some people just do not have the aptitude. But, in general, in theory anyone could use  magic.

3) Auras can pass from parents to children, but this wouldn't provide any magical ability- it would just modify the magic the child does use, similar to any other aura.

4) No difference is understood, yet.

5) Revision magic in general can do this, and artifacts could be made to do this 'automatically'.

Where does Academagia draw the line between two friends of opposite sex/gender hanging out together and dating? I could see a strict "No dating until Year X" rule being used to prevent two first year students of opposite sex/gender from eating at a restaurant together as a pair.

Haha! I can just imagine Orsi frowning if first years even looked at each other the wrong way, haha.

But Given how Draconian the rules are at the Academagia (unless you don't get caught!) you probably wouldn't be able to do much other than study in the same common room until the 3rd year, and even then there would probably be scrutiny.

But then forbidden love is the best type, don't you think? ;)

Given Orsi's willingness to associate with gates mages, gates magical artifacts, and his eagerness to discuss ways to circumvent bans on some types of magic, I can well imagine that he is not eager to uphold all school rules. I imagine that Regent Badcrumble and the parents are the major advocates of harsh bans on dating.

Actually, if you read the lores, the rules on dating were imposed by Orsi himself. He was so disgusted that a love relationship turned out to be a nasty case of Mastery abuse that he banned dating outright, and it took some time and the persuasion of the rest of the faculty to tone down the ban somewhat.

Regent Badcrumble is the one who pulls this stunt:

Spoiler

[Badcrumble] begins with a dainty little cough, then cuts to the chase. "You do realize poor Severiano [second year Avila student, I believe] has masculine feelings for you, I hope?"

Oh, gods.

"Oh, don't worry. I told him that you're much too young and that you're entirely inappropriate for him. That should make you seem properly unapproachable and dangerous if you decide to encourage the boy. Never underestimate the power of being dangerous. It makes up a little for not having much of a bosom yet."

Oh, gods.

"You can't actually date for, oh, a year or two more, I should think. At least. But that doesn't mean you can't cultivate a certain poise."

By the way, that new spoiler button? Pretty handy :).

@freespace2dotcom: A, I guess that I should pay more attention to the lores for dating. But that is such a rarely used skill that I rarely train in it.

@Legate of Mineta: Here are some questions for you.

1. Where does Academagia draw the line between two friends of opposite sex/gender hanging out together and dating?

2. Are those who are known to have used forbidden magics (yet not punished for this use for some reason) subjected to some official monitoring to make sure that they do not repeat their actions?

3. Was the ban on Mastery and Gates retroactive, punishing people for magic that had been legal when they used it?

4. Were there any military uprisings by those who wanted to maintain the legality of gates and/or mastery?

5. Is it possible to learn something about gates or mastery by watching another person use negation magic against gates or mastery magic?

1. If they go out to town and/or do fun stuff together, by themselves, it's dating.

2. If they are not punished, it's because there was no official involvement. Therefore no official monitoring can be done. Unofficial monitoring, on the other hand...

3. Nope. They were spared, sometimes cloistered, but warned to not teach or use what they knew, or else...

Legate, I just saw the steam achievements, it seems there's one for the tutorial completion, one for graduating in each college, and can you confirm what is neccessary for the Arts one? It seems... Awfully Omni-disciplinarian. :)

Edit, Nevermind, it's just Vernin's *sigh*

(I admit I haven't played much of the steam version yet.)