Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

3. Was the ban on Mastery and Gates retroactive, punishing people for magic that had been legal when they used it?

From what I understand people who recently learned gate or mastery before the ban was killed or cloistered but actual master of this schools where just told not to use it and teach it any more.

To my understanding, less advanced students were allowed to simply switch colleges. More advanced students were cloistered.

If the Great Masters of the era felt their own lives threatened instead of inconvenienced, they might very well have grouped together and formed a nasty rebellion. In any case, would *You* want to fight a master of Gates or Mastery? Especially since you're on the side that won't allow it's use. Period. Think about fighting a massive army of summoned creatures and the most terrifying magic you can, and really think about whether it would be easier to just leave them be unless one steps out of line.

On ‎10‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 4:34 PM, Rhialto said:

@freespace2dotcom: A, I guess that I should pay more attention to the lores for dating. But that is such a rarely used skill that I rarely train in it.

@Legate of Mineta: Here are some questions for you.

1. Where does Academagia draw the line between two friends of opposite sex/gender hanging out together and dating?

2. Are those who are known to have used forbidden magics (yet not punished for this use for some reason) subjected to some official monitoring to make sure that they do not repeat their actions?

3. Was the ban on Mastery and Gates retroactive, punishing people for magic that had been legal when they used it?

4. Were there any military uprisings by those who wanted to maintain the legality of gates and/or mastery?

5. Is it possible to learn something about gates or mastery by watching another person use negation magic against gates or mastery magic?

@Legate of Mineta you just answered to the single question we picked out to give a answer but missed the whole question block.

(I even wanted to quote this post when I saw my posting is on a new page but this didn't work out in the edit thanks to the stupid forum software)

Rhi;

No, all the Regents are expected to teach, and although there might be times at which they do not offer any courses, that would be exceptional.

Schwarzbart;

Huh! I never even saw this, thanks!

1) There isn't a line drawn specifically...but the tolerance of the Professors is more important.

2) None known...but such a thing wouldn't be made public, if it happened.

3) As noted earlier.

4) As broad movements, no.

5) That would depend on how specific the Negation magic is.

1. Exactly how influential on Academagia is the von Wetgen family? I assume that it is because of their influence that Beatrix is allowed to wander the school grounds with so little supervision. Would they use this influence to try to control Beatrix's social; life by, for example, encouraging professors to be very literalistic in their interpretation of the no dating rule?

2. Is there same-sex dating on Cyve? could Academagia's dating rule be applied to two same sex students?

3. What are exceptional circumstances that could justify regents' not offering courses?

4. What course does Regent-Professor di Lucca Alazzo teach in Vernin? how to appraise the value of art?

Marriage in and around Mineta is primarily dynastic in origin and purpose: these two people will get hitched, one of them will then get pregnant, and there will be babies that carry on the family legacy. Hence Louise Kandinsky being expected to marry a man rather than an aristocrat of the gender she prefers. There's a lot of social pressure to enter into relationships that result in babies, and in many cases adoption is frowned upon. The concept of same-sex marriage doesn't exist in Elumia, although there are older forms of the ceremony which recognize life partner as a form of marriage (even in the opposite sex), recognizing love but expressly platonic or chaste. These are no longer practiced in the modern temples, though.

The Mineta City Hall will happily take money to change one's surname on the city rolls, however, within certain constraints. It cannot be the same as a noble name, for instance, and much depends on the wealth of the person asking.

...Didn't notice that typo before.

Rhi & Schwarzbart;

1. That's something you have to discover in-game.

2. As long as it was discreet, it might be looked upon as no different from a friendship. If the nature of the relationship became known, it would be at the Instructor's discretion what sort of actions were taken next.

3. Breakthroughs in research, funding opportunities, funerals, travel delays or illnesses- the list can go on.

4. I am allowed only to say that the information is present somewhere in the game's lores...;)

5. What Metis wrote!

Well, if nothing else, I would think that if certain families retain accumulated magical lore related to a given subject, their members would have an advantage in applying for professorships. House Kazus is is an extreme example of this (albeit with no professorship in synchronicity). That makes me think of the following 2 questions:

1. Are there those who regard Academagia as an effort to reduce the power of nobility and non-imperial centres of power? by creating a centralized, imperially administered, merit-based education system, magic and related skills are less under the control of powerful families and guilds. Or would this analysis be seen as heresy, undermining a state-sponsored narrative of Academagia as pan-human bulwark against dragons?

2. are there legal or moral obstacles against creating a synchronicity course in Academagia?

3. How widely known is Draconian Script? Is it as carefully regulated as the Draconic language? Would there be panic and investigation if a student at Academagia were caught using the script to write or decorate anything?

2. From how I understand the adventure there is a big legal problem if this magic is spread as each and every mage who learn this magic need to and will be close observed. (So if you plan to learn Gate or Mastery also best stay far away from the official teaching of synchronicity)

Rhi;

1. Are there those who regard Academagia as an effort to reduce the power of nobility and non-imperial centres of power? by creating a centralized, imperially administered, merit-based education system, magic and related skills are less under the control of powerful families and guilds. Or would this analysis be seen as heresy, undermining a state-sponsored narrative of Academagia as pan-human bulwark against dragons?

No- the weight of its history and tradition has embedded it in the cultural landscape firmly. That said, there have been efforts over the years to try to restrict the students to nobility, which have been mostly unsuccessful.

2. are there legal or moral obstacles against creating a synchronicity course in Academagia?

As Schwarzbart notes, but there are slippery slopes in what you suggest as well.

3. How widely known is Draconian Script? Is it as carefully regulated as the Draconic language? Would there be panic and investigation if a student at Academagia were caught using the script to write or decorate anything?

It's not popularly known, but the learned know it by sight. It's very heavily regulated, and there would certainly be an investigation. Panic? Depends on what they were writing, I would think. ;)