Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

2) Is it planed that a adventurous player can manage to stay out of the big factions over the years? (I suspect taking the side of Orsi in the main quest of 1st year will do the trick for year 1)

3)I think we already got a answer what happens when a player refuse to do any main adventure path in year 1 but I don't remember it. So could you answer this again?

(because of new page I moved my questions from last page to this.)

1. Does Professor Sido teach a language course for upper years in Academagia?

2. Is the General Sendus from the Cyvian equivalent of China? if so, is Sendus his Elumianized name? How did he get there?

3. Does Uliva's affinity for serpents and hissing lead to rumours that she is a sympathizer with Dragons? How seriously would these rumours be taken by those in authority?

4. Is it normal for mages with familiars of Species X to develop an affinity for species or genus X?

5. Are biologists on Cyve aware of species/genera? what is their opinion about the fixity of species?

More Omni Questions!

• Since studying all the legal pillars of magic at once is more or less frowned upon, if I was to ask why, would I get a straight answer from the professors?
  • Will getting high grades in classes mitigate any professors desiring to meddle in my efforts to learn all the pillars?
  • Given that Briardi and Piaxenza are the most likely to disprove of my actions, I'd like to ask what Von Rupprecht would say about this? Given he doesn't seem to see eye to eye on lots of things with those two... ;) As an Aranaz player I suppose I would need to know if he finds it a problem more than any other. My gut says it would be conditional, haha!
  • Since very few mages learn to be really good in more than one pillar, and even then people mixing magic from 2 pillars is even more rare,  I'd like to know what the most common 2 pillars are that are known to be mixed together in the current era.
  • Since the magical aura surrounding mages is based on the spells they cast, I was wondering if you could tell what kind of magic an advanced mage knows just on a casual observation of the aura assuming it hasn't been suppressed or altered in any way.

Rhi;

For 1 & 2, I must refer you to the Lores, and/or it is redacted. ;)

For 3, no, not really.

4) Only in the sense that it may make Bonding more familiar or comfortable.

5) Not in a rigorous taxonomic way, no.

Free;

1) Per that person, yes. :)

2) Likely.

3) You'd have to find out...;)

4) Hmmmm. Hmmm. I'll ask.

5) You'd certainly know the type of magic they favor.

Say that a ship captain, right in the middle of nowhere, stumbles across an enchanted item that his reasonably trustworthy(/competent) wind mage tells him is too dangerous to leave behind. What would that ship captain be expected to do in that situation, legally? Throw the item into the Maelstrom, bury it under the biggest rock his crew can find and inform the closest authorities of their find, or take it with them and hand it over to customs?

I made a post about this a long time ago.

It is infact possible to get to Shohanwitch (and get the a house in the bog adventure) without the background however the process is quite bugged.

The most difficult part is to discover the location "Shohanwitch School".

If you did you'll get a special ability and for the rest... well I let you discover. :P

As I've said, that method no longer works. You can discover Schohanwicht through Historical Tendencies, Curious Eagle or Beatrix' Clique ability, and then uncover Euneycia's Haven through Determine the Next Step to Schohanwicht Entry, but without the background there's nothing you can do there.

Maybe it changed since DLC 16 but it you could still made it work.

As I said three(four?) years ago, after you discover Euneycia's Haven, if you spend some action/abilites there you'll get the adventure "a house in the bog" and thus get the entry through it.

I am sure it's a bug but I tried a few times and it worked.

if I remember the DLC 1 days you should get an ability don't remember the wording something like "request entry to Showanwicht" that gives you the school abilities but I agree it's no longer working.

Buut I don't think it's wise to import a game using this trick to Y2, something tells me will go wrong. :P

I'm not going to reload the game to re-read any of this, but I Distinctly remember that the description of Eueycia's haven states that unless you have business with the owner it's a fairly unremarkable location. Meaning that in order to get any actions or anything out of it, you're going to need the background. It's been that way as long as I can remember, but I don't think I was seriously going for Gates or Mastery until well past DLC 13 or so. So I can't state anything with certainty on that past that.

I meant using actions/ability (like train) and use them in the location Euneycia's haven a few times.

Altough it's been a long time since I discovered that little trick of mine if I remember right if you spent action in Euneycia's Haven, you get Euneycia's abilities and since those can only be unlocked through the adventure, the game probably assumes you should have it and give it to you.

I think you don't even start at the begining of the adventure (which is kind of convenient because you don't have a letter so it kinda remain consistent lorewise :D) but directly at step 3.

I'll have to find this old post of mine tough.

Specifically:

If you have no family connection to this house in the bog, all you can do is stand outside of it and enjoy a 1 point Increase to Zoology for the duration of your stay.

And under normal circumstances, that's entirely true. However, if Euneycia's Haven is bugged insofar that it's location abilities don't process their prerequisites properly, isadorbg would be right. Basically the only thing stopping you from using the backdoor is a single memory that you normally only get from the Secret Heritage background.

Yeah we had this discussion a while ago: http://academagia.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/1274-a-few-in-game-questions/&page=211#comment-36239

Back then discovering Shohanwicht was still considered impossible so who knows ? They might be a totaly non abusive and legit way to get it without the background. :P

I'll have to try on steam to see if the glitch is still working with the last DLC.

I've found every part of Schohanwicht at least twice during the Beta through Historical Tendencies, in fact I found the then not assigned to any Region Satyrius, so that is something that can definitely be accomplished ingame. It'll probably take multiple ingame months to do, possibly several characters worth of months, but hey, it's possible.

Honestly, I'm more interested in finding Schohanwicht, and perhaps also a secret Mastery school in the same vein, in Y2. I have a feeling that although there may well be family connections which can get you in the door easier, they both probably get students from those who show talent with the magics and are capable of casting them and keeping it a secret. It removes some of the unknown on how the student would react and those would be the desirables to teach.

So whether or not you can get into Schohanwicht without the background is kind of moot to me, and honestly, since the Legate has hinted that there is a payment required for being taught the magic, I can't help but bet it's an unpleasant one. I'll try to learn the magics on my own.

If there is a backdoor without the background, there almost certainly isn't a proper story for it. Just a buggy rehashing of the background story at best and nothing at worst. We've been through the modtools very heavily so the only way to throw us off balance would be to add a story in DLC 16 or 17, since we haven't gotten an updated modbase for those additions yet.

Speaking of which, Legate, when are we getting those? It's been a while now. That ought to be a close release, yes?

Last I heard there's going to be another content update somewhere within fall, not a DLC 18 but just an update to (allegedly <_<) fix the patently ridiculous amount of content bugs and typos. I imagine the updated mod base will be released afterwards.

Sadly, because I really need to overhaul a few of the game's mechanics, but...*sigh* :(.

40 minutes ago, freespace2dotcom said:

So whether or not you can get into Schohanwicht without the background is kind of moot to me, and honestly, since the Legate has hinted that there is a payment required for being taught the magic, I can't help but bet it's an unpleasant one. I'll try to learn the magics on my own.

Mmh... . Weren't you the one theorising that Shohanwicht might have a somewhat "negative" attitude towards Gates mages that are not part of it ?

If that theory proves to be true, you won't be able to avoid the school of Gates if you wish to study that pillar. :)

... But as always those question can only be answered by these mythical beast that we name "sequels" .