Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. For the Triplets, will it make a difference if their adventure is finished in the manner that ends up ticking off the Costers as opposed to either of the ways that doesn't? Obviously it makes a difference to the PC since, you know, Just Going About Your Business, but what of the other three?

2. What should a PC focus on if they wanted to become the (a?) fourth Triplet, or at least, become a useful individual that the trio could consistently count on? Since they've got tactics/brute force/social angles covered I was thinking either a scholar or a spy, maybe both.

3. What sort of things do people compare items to when commenting on their noteworthy pricetag, be it especially low or high? For example locally for me it is (or at least was) common to call things "expensive as pepper", dating back from when pepper was actually insanely expensive several hundred years or so back. What would someone in Mineta say?

Can you tell us what institutions the Academagia plays Rimbal against over the course of a year? Is the schedule set in stone, or is there some flexibility for newcomers to the sport to join in to test their mettle?

1. Speaking of the Triplets, does their division of strengths (tactics, strength, diplomacy) reflect any proverbial Minetan/Imperial triad related to war or politics or society?

2. How common is it for the regent of a college to have not mastered that college's pillar of magic? I know that the Regent of Vernin is that way, but is he unprecedented? or is Massioti of Godina his equal in terms of not having mastered incantation? Is this type of situation truly so common?

1. Have any gates Mages created human life? was that ever legal?

2. Have any Gates mages travelled to universes with human life?

3. Are there penalties for using magic to impersonate divine miracles? Is there a meaningful difference between human magic and divine miracles (aside from alleged origins)?

4. In what way exactly is Zoe Melis sickly? Tuberculosis?

1. Does Academagia have rules prohibiting Y5 students from marrying? or any accommodations (such as allowing them to live off campus)? Would people around that age in Mineta be getting married?

2. Is Aranaz College looked down upon for not having a pillar of magic to call its own anymore? Was there a proposal to abolish Aranaz along with the Pillar of Orthography?

3. So just to clarify, Gates allows mages to summon life and go to places. Where does creating new life forms fit in? Because the in-game lore describes gates mages as creating entirely new life forms. Is that just a short-hand fore summoning strange life (and perhaps modifying it?)?

On, 2, Yes, there was a movement to disband Aranaz, however, the folks trying to do so failed to take into account the number of Alumni and others willing to back the College, and so after the smoke of many battles cleared, Aranaz remained. I would dearly like to know who the Regent of Aranaz was during that period.

On 3, it's a [redacted] subject, but it's heavily implied that life given through Gates magic is by forcing spirits to possess inanimate objects, sometimes made of organic matter, 'creating' life.

On 1, Temple law requires people to be at least 18 before they're allowed to marry, and fifth year students by definition are 16 or 17. I'm sure that instances of students being held back a year (to several centuries...) or being married anyway due to a (partial) non-human heritage exist, although what the Academagia did in those cases I'm not sure. I suspect that if they didn't fall under a hard rule of the Academagia not acknowledging the marriage of two students (meaning no special accommodations or anything of the sort) they were handled on a case-by-case basis.

EDIT: Incidentally, on 3, I'd like to quote the description of the Informative Bird spell:

Summoning this special type of bird will lead to 3 point Increases to Danger Sense, Scouting and Hunting for four days at a time. The summoning requires Charm and a reasonable amount of skill with Gates Methods (Roll v. 5).

Some birds have been magically enchanted to speak; this was especially true at the height of the Empire when they were used to carry messages back and forth between the islands by persons who did not have the means to Teleport or Rend Dimensions. After several decades of breeding these speaking birds, it was discovered that despite all current thought, some of the birds actually passed their ability to speak down to the next generations. The effect was never understood, for by the time enough people were interested in looking into this phenomenon, the Empire had begun its decline and was unable to provide funds for this interesting yet ‘niche’ subject. As the birds began to spread among the islands, they became their own species, capable of reproducing only with themselves and therefore capable of continuing their evolution down the path of speech. Summoning one of these birds would be easy, save for the rare Pheme of Control that is required for the spell to work. Those who are desperate for knowledge will find that small stumbling block easy to overcome, or at least, worthwhile to overcome.

...What? Totally, eh, got that from when I borrowed one of Freespace's notes. Totally :ph34r:.

Edited by Metis

25 minutes ago, Metis said:

On 1, Temple law requires people to be at least 18 before they're allowed to marry, and fifth year students by definition are 16 or 17. I'm sure that instances of students being held back a year (to several centuries...) or being married anyway due to a (partial) non-human heritage exist, although what the Academagia did in those cases I'm not sure. I suspect that if they didn't fall under a hard rule of the Academagia not acknowledging the marriage of two students (meaning no special accommodations or anything of the sort) they were handled on a case-by-case basis.

EDIT: Incidentally, on 3, I'd like to quote the description of the Informative Bird spell:

...What? Totally, eh, got that from when I borrowed one of Freespace's notes. Totally :ph34r:.

Magic screwing the rules (or in this case Science) yet again.

Becoming their own species and being unable to reproduce with their former species in only a few decades and "naturally" at that.

How convienent. :D

True enough.;)

But it is a testament of the power of Gates. Not only that pillar magic is often permanent unlike so many others but it seems its "magic" does not stop with the casting and can evolve.

Interesting.

If I was to try to discover a true immortality spell, I know now what pillar to focus on and it's already been confirmed in game. (Altough not really what was expected nor very desirable form of immortality I assume)

To be clear, isadorbg

at no point was Gates magic stated to have an influence on the talking birds. In fact it was pointed out that the magical birds were originally enchanted by folks who more or less didn't have Gates magic available to them. I think it's an interesting subject, but I wouldn't read too deep into that.

Oh sorry. I assumed it was Gates since other pillar are supposed to be affected by you know stuff getting back to normal eventually . 

Funny. It did not occur to me that nature could be twisted so radically  with any kind of magic spell.

Guess the winner for the true immortal spell has been called to soon then . :P

(Just for convenience:)

3 hours ago, Rhialto said:

1. Does Academagia have rules prohibiting Y5 students from marrying? or any accommodations (such as allowing them to live off campus)? Would people around that age in Mineta be getting married?

2. Is Aranaz College looked down upon for not having a pillar of magic to call its own anymore? Was there a proposal to abolish Aranaz along with the Pillar of Orthography?

3. So just to clarify, Gates allows mages to summon life and go to places. Where does creating new life forms fit in? Because the in-game lore describes gates mages as creating entirely new life forms. Is that just a short-hand fore summoning strange life (and perhaps modifying it?)?

4. Are there laws that forbid/expressly permit non-humans from/to hold(ing) noble titles within human(/Empire) society?

1. What happens if two colleges have the same merit points at the end of a week?

2. Before Avila College offered enrolment for boys, was there any school not affiliated with Academagia that offered an Avila-quality education in astrology and related subjects for boys?

3. What relationship does Avila College have with the Purple Academy of Thei? Do those colleges ever exchange research about astrology? do they trust each other?