Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Legate!

1. Although I know they wouldn't play against others, do the students at Schohanwicht play Rimbal at times also?

2. What is Zorzi's opinion of Cagallo? (the non-magical and older Rimbal variant)

3. What is Massioti's opionion of Cagallo?

4. If a professor was asked about that creepy guy in black with the bow and arrows who claimed to work for the Academagia, would that answer be deflected or would they not even know?

5. Do wizards gain a 6th sense when around magic for long enough? Are they sometimes able to sense magical auras even if they aren't visible?

6. It wasn't ever mentioned in the Chimney crow's story, but what happens to those Gates pins after the player is done fooling around with examining them?

7. I don't know what the team's plans are concerning the book of deep shadows, (it seems like there won't be an option to turn the book in, in Y1 sadly) but hypothetically, if one completed the adventure, nabbed the book, and turned the Mastery book in straight to Orsi, along with the other letter from the former Durand Regent, and the full story, what would his response be? (And also Piaxenza's, after hearing that you got involved despite his efforts, ha!)

7) Wasn't the year 1 options to flee back to Orsi and tell him the story there before you go to the cave and confront the mage  ?

I remember that if you did that you get relationship bonus with Orsi. Also I think you can burn the book if you use the incantation option in the cave no ?

It seems that the team thought that if you choose to take the book means you have some interest of it,

There's multiple points where you can turn around and run away during that adventure, but they're just that - options to turn around and run away. If you want to properly finish the adventure you have to take the book (as far as I know). Also, no option to burn the book 'far as I can see.

Yeah, if you complete the adventure, you're more or less stuck with the book. Not that I necessarily WANT to get rid of it, mind you, but I've always felt that there should be an option to do so. So long as it was turned over as soon as you managed to get it, and didn't hold on to it until Y2, I don't see why it would be a bad thing to turn over.

And honestly, who knows what evil will be coming after the book in Y2?

1 hour ago, Metis said:

There's multiple points where you can turn around and run away during that adventure, but they're just that - options to turn around and run away. If you want to properly finish the adventure you have to take the book (as far as I know). Also, no option to burn the book 'far as I can see.

Actually only two. Right at the beginning if you refuse to translate, and after you read that letter on that islands and go see Orsi

I guess the second part may not count as proper finish altough it is technically just an alternate way of finishing it. But yeah no attribute increase not a real completion. :P

And yeah you are right you can't burn it but there is also another way to finish the adventure without the book if you fail the last skillcheck. ;)

But then that's probably the worst outcome of all. :P

39 minutes ago, freespace2dotcom said:

Yeah, if you complete the adventure, you're more or less stuck with the book. Not that I necessarily WANT to get rid of it, mind you, but I've always felt that there should be an option to do so. So long as it was turned over as soon as you managed to get it, and didn't hold on to it until Y2, I don't see why it would be a bad thing to turn over.

And honestly, who knows what evil will be coming after the book in Y2?

Fair enough. But maybe the answer to this is that the evil we should fear is closer than we think.

I don't really trust an ominious Mastery book that is convoited by a large covenent of undead wizards. :P

Still hesitating which one between this and Diavesque is the most dangerous.

Free;

1. Although I know they wouldn't play against others, do the students at Schohanwicht play Rimbal at times also?

Definitely!

2. What is Zorzi's opinion of Cagallo? (the non-magical and older Rimbal variant)

Is it a really a sport? Should I be good at it? :)

3. What is Massioti's opionion of Cagallo?

See Zorzi's response, above. :)

4. If a professor was asked about that creepy guy in black with the bow and arrows who claimed to work for the Academagia, would that answer be deflected or would they not even know?

Deflected.

5. Do wizards gain a 6th sense when around magic for long enough? Are they sometimes able to sense magical auras even if they aren't visible?

Some have claimed so, but there is no real discernable difference.

6. It wasn't ever mentioned in the Chimney crow's story, but what happens to those Gates pins after the player is done fooling around with examining them?

I'll ask, to see what they want to say...

7. I don't know what the team's plans are concerning the book of deep shadows, (it seems like there won't be an option to turn the book in, in Y1 sadly) but hypothetically, if one completed the adventure, nabbed the book, and turned the Mastery book in straight to Orsi, along with the other letter from the former Durand Regent, and the full story, what would his response be? (And also Piaxenza's, after hearing that you got involved despite his efforts, ha!)

Clearly, [redacted] is the only possible answer here. :)

Actually, I am 99% sure that, barring the dangers of incorrectly using Mastery magic (if you so choose to learn from it), and the fact that Mastery is Banned and you could get expelled for having it, AND also that there are evil undead... Things... after it, AND there's a small chance that it might have some Mastery connection with a powerful wizard that you don't want to cross paths with... But barring that, that the Book of Deep Shadows is probably pretty harmless in and of itself. It's all the baggage that you have to worry about, hehe.

1. If the PC bring Pelia out of her shell and persuade her to join Academagia next year, what happens to her in the mean time? is she left to live in the coffeeshop/alchemy shop? is she sent to an orphanage? to live with family?

2. Is siege warfare regarded as a branch of engineering or war?

3. How much information about Colleges Icanix and Kazus was suppressed? Would a Y1 student even be able to learn what the Y1 mandatory non-Pillar courses for those two colleges was?

4. What were the Y1 Mandatory non-pillar courses for Icanix and Kazus?

On 3 and 4:

On 29-12-2015 at 4:52 PM, Legate of Mineta said:

Schwarzbart;

No comment on that, but...for previous questions:

1. Is the question about how often Regents change the core syllabus for incoming students of their Colleges? If so, it tends to happen when the Regents change, in no small part because controlling (or at least closely associating with) certain departments offers additional prestige. Random example: von Rupprecht grabbed History from Hedi when Piaxenza stepped into the job and didn't have the influence (or, to be honest, the passion) to keep it. That said, the traditional College core affinities, as described above, have been locked in since the days of early antiquity, and they're not generally challenged.

2. Schwarzbart is exactly right about the logic behind the Astrology-Geometry link. Traditionally, Negation is taught alongside Dialectic because - in theory - learning to study and question the exact nature of things makes them easier to counter (at least in terms of magical syntax and Pheme management). Incantation is paired with Music because they're both often conceived of as performance arts (in the sense of quick creative expression), and also simply because mastering musical instruments generally improves manual dexterity and simple timing - and Incantation spells can get very complex and very intricate as you progress in sophistication. Glamour is traditionally linked to Rhetoric in that they're both thought to concern awareness of an audience's response and a systemic approach to altering mood (students of Hedi frequently disagree). Revision and Zoology are paired simply because the most sophisticated common Revisions are cast on human beings, and learning to understand mammalian biology from youth makes it all a whole lot easier. Enchantment - despite the College listings - is actually most closely linked to Calligraphy, since a lot of the strength of lasting physical magic comes down to the skill with which the marks are etched. Gates studies tended to be paired with Natural Philosophy - students wanted to understand how local conditions (from the weather to geology to ley lines) would affect a Gate, and how Gates affected the physical properties of the things that passed through them. Mastery students tended to focus on Draconic Philosophy and Archaeology, about which nothing safe may be said.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, wouldn't that mean that Piaxenza became a Regent after von Rupprecht did? I thought old VR punting out his predecessor was the most recent change. Legate, when did the current regents assume their position? Or at least, in what order?

Edited by Metis

I don't think any of the current Regents have a lot of tenure in their positions. I suspect none of them have had the job longer than a decade or so, with the average being about 3 years.

1. Do the Laws of Mineta recognize and penalize stalking? Would there be social and legal difficulties in getting Joana in trouble for her obsessive behavior over Phillipe?

2. Are there laws prohibiting negotiating with dragons?

3. Have dragons been known to take human form (I am not asking about present day dragons - Morgana but about dragons as written or talked about in histories and legends)?

1. If you look in the adventures it appears to be both sided love (also I don't think she is really stalking him) and the laws of Mineta have little to no meaning as long the students only stay at the academy as the academy have its own laws and enforcement. To my knowledge bullying, blackmail and stalking are fair deal in Academagia in most cases. Beside the laws against stalking is a inventing in the real world that came up in the last ~25 years but not in the Renaissance where Academagia is set. (keep in mind human labor is considered cheaper then even golems or animated dead to do repetitiv work that means commoner not even have the time for such things as stalking)

edit new question:

4) are the dues for farmer and serf in Academagia as high as it was in medieval times in Europe where the farmer had to use sickle for harvest to not lose a single grain to have enough food for survive the next winter?

Didn't Octavia Egidi want to become a dragon at one point? Briardi even stated that it was just a childish dream not unlike many others, so I suspect it's happened at one point or another.

What the real Dragons would have to say about that would be another thing entirely, haha! :)

1) How easy can a marriage be broken especial for noble and royal?

2) Is it common that poor noble marriage their girls to rich commoner?

3) How common is it that noble just have a fictitious marriage especial when married to a commoner? (I.e. the female noble give birth to some children but then move to a other house to live separate from the husband) 

Edit: 4) It might be extrem but could it be that female noble get educated that their part of a marriage is to give birth to a heir and probably 2-3 more child and with that their part of the marriage is done?

5) Is it planed that we see some of the students to have repeat year 2 after year 2 is over so that the player still can interact with them but they have different class and teacher? (i.e. because the got to much detention or where to weak in their core class)

I can imagine that nobles may marry rich commoners but they would suffer an immense prestige lost. The main branch of the family probably wouldn't unless they are extremely desperate. Though I am not sure that many commoners have the wealth in the first place.

On the other questions. I don't think marriages can easily be broken considering that they are mainly made for alliances and unless both sides can amiably separate, I am sure the offended party would seek vengeance. So I guess the female noble would still be stuck in the arranged marriage even after having children (I am guessing 4+).

On another note. If an foreign army marches on Elumia with enough forces to conquer the continent, how unified would the Empire be? Wait until a few early nations get crushed or never unite because of strong grievances?

Schwarzbart & Ascartand;

1) How easy can a marriage be broken especial for noble and royal?

Prior to consummation, it's rare, but can be done. After the consummation, however, it's exceptional, and requires the intervention of the Imperial Temple.

2) Is it common that poor noble marriage their girls to rich commoner?

More common in Renaglia than elsewhere, but it is becoming more frequent.

3) How common is it that noble just have a fictitious marriage especial when married to a commoner? (I.e. the female noble give birth to some children but then move to a other house to live separate from the husband)

This also does happen on occasion, but it is fairly uncommon.

Edit: 4) It might be extrem but could it be that female noble get educated that their part of a marriage is to give birth to a heir and probably 2-3 more child and with that their part of the marriage is done?

As a formal education, no, but it certainly is treated that way from time to time.

5) Is it planed that we see some of the students to have repeat year 2 after year 2 is over so that the player still can interact with them but they have different class and teacher? (i.e. because the got to much detention or where to weak in their core class)

If they are held back, they leave the game. I'm not sure it's planned you could still interact with them, although you never know!

1 minute ago, Legate of Mineta said:

If they are held back, they leave the game. I'm not sure it's planned you could still interact with them, although you never know!

That might be one way to explain why, in future years, adventure still feature those characters despite them no longer being "in the game", so to speak. I mean, let's be honest here, unless every adventure from Y3 onwards makes no references to the PC's Classmates that couldn't be switched to some generic second/fourth year there's going to be problems...