Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

11 hours ago, Rhialto said:

1. What are some stereotypes surrounding colleges? I know that on the forum there were/are users who see Morvidus as the college of dark mages, Godina is in-game assumed to be the college of fighters, male students who are associated with Avila are in-game assumed to be either seducers or rather effeminate, and Vernin is seen in-game and on-forum as the college for artists. But what are in-universe stereotypes surrounding Durand or Morvidus? And what about Aranaz, with its lack of current pillar and only recently having acquired history as a core subject?

2. How common is it for Morvidus students to secretly train new animals? Does Morvidus have a set policy for how to deal with such animals if they cause no trouble?

3. Do colleges ever have tension in terms of funding/program focus between competing aspects of a college? Such as Morvidus with Zoology/familiar care and revision, or Durand with botany and negation?

In all the discussion the questions that started them got drowned on the previous page so I quoted them here.

15 hours ago, isadorbg said:

Morvidius the college of dark mages. wat ?

From where this comes from ? I mean really the Friendship is Treasure college ? 

But on Aranaz and Durand. Well Durand main thing is blandness. As for Aranaz they are well full of envious student. A bit like their regents. And you probably do not want to live in their girl dorms. Lot of "character" they have there.

And Vernin is not (only) the college of Artists. It's the college of talented. Crafters, wealthy and in general autonomous student have their place here. 

Wait, the girls and boys live in separate dorms? I could swear my Aranaz character was woken up several times by shenanigans from students of both genders.

13 hours ago, freespace2dotcom said:

I think as far as sterotypes go, I think this sums it up.

Aranaz students are over-the-top in doing things. Exactly what depends on the student but damn if they aren't 150% on that thing they do. Stepping on everyone's toes in the process.

Durand students are goody two-shoes, always looking to help others, or do something to benefit lots of people directly or indirectly.

Hedi students seem to enjoy long winded conversations before getting to the point.. Or at least are extremely capable of tolerating them.

Morvidus is extremely chaotic and filled with animals. Probably a bit unclean too. (Not evil at all, except for the bullies, and even they have their reasons.)

Vernin is filled with spoiled rich kids and folks trying to compensate for... um... Something with their tall towers.

Godina students are happy-go-lucky. No cares or planning needed. Let's just play sports and music, and occasionally blast some fool with lightning when it's needed..

Avila is the girly school where people learn to be sissies and learn 'soft' magic.

So basically Aranaz is all about ambition, and probably comes closest to a "dark wizard" college, Morvidus only contends because some might be creeped out by them aside from the two bullies who are more individuals than college material.

Vernin has Rui da Casga and Cordelia Troublepot along with several other non-snobby characters.

One of the hard things about playing them is that my Aranaz days makes me read their name as "Vermin" because I always imagined that would be their callname from rivals.

9 minutes ago, Dreamweaver said:

Wait, the girls and boys live in separate dorms? I could swear my Aranaz character was woken up several times by shenanigans from students of both genders.

They do, yes, in fact in at least Avila's case they have entirely separate dorm buildings. The RE shenanigans either refer to people making noise in the Common Room or are just Academagia REs being Academagia REs (like getting the RE about exam stress less than two weeks in).

1 hour ago, Metis said:

They do, yes, in fact in at least Avila's case they have entirely separate dorm buildings. The RE shenanigans either refer to people making noise in the Common Room or are just Academagia REs being Academagia REs (like getting the RE about exam stress less than two weeks in).

What does RE stand for?

Legate,

1. Can (intelligent) undead use Astrology magic?

2.  Can you tell us of some buildings in the Academagia or in Mineta that give off the vibe of Draconic influence? Can you tell us a little bit about how the dragons preferred using architecture?

4 hours ago, Dreamweaver said:

Yes and as Metis said the RE in the game aren't exacltly bulletproof. I just got one recently with Zoe in Revision class except... Zoe is not enrolled in Revision <_< ,

And of course all those brew classes events that does not really make any sense if you think about it... .

Hmmph! Double drowning. :)

1. What are some stereotypes surrounding colleges? I know that on the forum there were/are users who see Morvidus as the college of dark mages, Godina is in-game assumed to be the college of fighters, male students who are associated with Avila are in-game assumed to be either seducers or rather effeminate, and Vernin is seen in-game and on-forum as the college for artists. But what are in-universe stereotypes surrounding Durand or Morvidus? And what about Aranaz, with its lack of current pillar and only recently having acquired history as a core subject?

It's interesting- one of the things the Team has always enjoyed is how people stereotype the Colleges. Of course, in the world, they have their own stereotypes, but we've always been reluctant to spoil them because you all are having a lot of fun. I'll ask to see if they want to share, though!

2. How common is it for Morvidus students to secretly train new animals? Does Morvidus have a set policy for how to deal with such animals if they cause no trouble?

It's fairly rare, mostly because there is a lot of support for Familiars and exotic creatures. It does happen, though, and if it is safe, it's usually unremarked upon.

3. Do colleges ever have tension in terms of funding/program focus between competing aspects of a college? Such as Morvidus with Zoology/familiar care and revision, or Durand with botany and negation?

Depending on the Regents, yes. :)

Hmm. I wonder if the legate not being around to answer questions as often is a sign that Y2 is in a testing phase... :)

I suppose that as we have only seen our First Year classmates in action, we really can't say much about the Colleges as a whole.

I hope, Legate, that when Y2 does get released, you'll get the Team to release one of their discussions as a reaction to our musings on the forums. I know that you've said that we've influenced the writing of Y2 at least a little. I'd love to see a situation where perhaps we take a discussion in a way the Team hadn't considered and said "sure, why not?"

18 minutes ago, freespace2dotcom said:

Hmm. I wonder if the legate not being around to answer questions as often is a sign that Y2 is in a testing phase... :)

I suppose that as we have only seen our First Year classmates in action, we really can't say much about the Colleges as a whole.

I hope, Legate, that when Y2 does get released, you'll get the Team to release one of their discussions as a reaction to our musings on the forums. I know that you've said that we've influenced the writing of Y2 at least a little. I'd love to see a situation where perhaps we take a discussion in a way the Team hadn't considered and said "sure, why not?"

Typos corrected.

1) Will the 2 issues that the day report is missing the exam results of students that have hall sessions and that most of the exam day day report is missing on a day you get detention still be fixed in year 1?

2) How big is the planed year 1 exam adjustments for the NPC students in year 2? I hope its not more then 1-2 points or it really mess up with the player. (At last for player using my class fix mod any extra points might go over board as you can see in my last public Gradebook) 

Actually, if you finish Basia's adventure, everyone's scores but Basia's (and maybe the player's, depending on choices made) should go down.

isadorbg, are you implying that Y2 may not get released!?

1. If you felt that there might be a Mastery ring on campus and that some of the faculty might be involved and so couldn't trust them, who could you turn to?

2. Given that family-arranged marriages do happen in setting, I was wondering if there was a case where two betrothed children wound up going to the Academagia at the same time, and how the school would handle this circumstance.

3. While Dragons do not use Astrology, have they been known to counter it expertly if it was used against them?

4. While the histories on many things have been supressed, Would you say that Stryker, Morgana, and Diavesque are known of in history, even if there's little known about them?

5. What are some of the most popular stories that Professor Viada tells in history class?

6. How much of Professor Knoht's history does she herself know? Did the magic used on her erase her childhood memories and such too? Or was it indiscriminate and random?

7. Do Phillipe's older brothers ever hang out with him? Or do they even care about him at all aside from making sure he follows their example?

8. It's been stated on more than a few occasions that even halfway through Y1, most of our characters have learned enough magic to earn some kind of living, This is primarily a statement of how rare and useful any magic is under normal circumstances, right? Would I be correct in assuming that even a below average mage who graduated from the Academagia would find a pretty good job somewhere so long as it wasn't in a place where there were lots of mages to pick from?

9. This is a difficult question to frame, but...Will Y2 or the save converter have the ability to determine what pillar of magic our characters are most suited to learning? Realistically, wouldn't the Academagia do that sort of thing before the students arrive? Or is talent with a pillar something that needs a year to prove?

10. While we naturally get to pick our own classes because we're playing a game.. In setting, do the parents of students pick out classes or even the college before the year starts? I know that there are other criteria for joining a college but since we know that at least Vernin does head-hunting for students, it would seem to me that a lot of these things would be decided long before the year started.

11. Can you tell us anything about the Prophecies written on the Wall? At least things that are fairly common knowledge? For instance, which ones are the most famous ones? Are Astrologers really known to loose their marbles studying them?

12. While no Dragons have made it past the Wall in a long time, the Keystone adventure implies that a single one might occasionally try to land on it from time to time. Can you tell us when was the last time one tried this?

13. What is Schohanwicht's policy on Familiars? Specifically Pamela. How well would she react to this? (even though there really isn't much said on this in game, there ought to be.)

14. Due to the role of dragons in the history of Cyve, there is a taboo surrounding the study of reptiles, if I recall correctly, explaining why reptiles are not studied in first year zoology. Does this taboo related to reptiles include a fear of snakes or association of them with evil/Dragons?

15. What would the consequences be if a Y1 student were caught studying reptiles in a way analogous to the study of other types of animals in zoology?

16. Are fungi recognized to be distinct from plants? if so, are they specially studied in upper year botany courses?

17. What were the mottoes of Icanix and Kazus Colleges?

18. Are there any procedures in place to deal with ghosts who may leak information?

19. Have ghosts of malefactors ever been recognized as competent witness in trials of their alleged co-conspirators?

20. Are there heretics (because they would have to be heretics) who hold that the old and new gods were/are just exceptionally powerful mages?

Free & Rhi;

1. If you felt that there might be a Mastery ring on campus and that some of the faculty might be involved and so couldn't trust them, who could you turn to?

You might go to the Imperial Temple, or the Orders which cloister the proscribed.

2. Given that family-arranged marriages do happen in setting, I was wondering if there was a case where two betrothed children wound up going to the Academagia at the same time, and how the school would handle this circumstance.

It's happened many times before, although not in the present year. There aren't any special precautions, apart from the possibility of berthing some kind of chaperone.

3. While Dragons do not use Astrology, have they been known to counter it expertly if it was used against them?

In legends, they cannot counter it, this being the reason for their defeat.

4. While the histories on many things have been supressed, Would you say that Stryker, Morgana, and Diavesque are known of in history, even if there's little known about them?

No...

5. What are some of the most popular stories that Professor Viada tells in history class?

Ha! I'll ask. :)

6. How much of Professor Knoht's history does she herself know? Did the magic used on her erase her childhood memories and such too? Or was it indiscriminate and random?

That's something you'll have to find out in game...

7. Do Phillipe's older brothers ever hang out with him? Or do they even care about him at all aside from making sure he follows their example?

Probably a little, but no. That would be uncool. :)

8. It's been stated on more than a few occasions that even halfway through Y1, most of our characters have learned enough magic to earn some kind of living, This is primarily a statement of how rare and useful any magic is under normal circumstances, right? Would I be correct in assuming that even a below average mage who graduated from the Academagia would find a pretty good job somewhere so long as it wasn't in a place where there were lots of mages to pick from?

Definitely.

9. This is a difficult question to frame, but...Will Y2 or the save converter have the ability to determine what pillar of magic our characters are most suited to learning? Realistically, wouldn't the Academagia do that sort of thing before the students arrive? Or is talent with a pillar something that needs a year to prove?

No. :)

10. While we naturally get to pick our own classes because we're playing a game.. In setting, do the parents of students pick out classes or even the college before the year starts? I know that there are other criteria for joining a college but since we know that at least Vernin does head-hunting for students, it would seem to me that a lot of these things would be decided long before the year started.

Usually, the Regents will, unless the child was tutored in magic. Then, their tutor might. Families, unless magic users themselves, are rarely involved.

11. Can you tell us anything about the Prophecies written on the Wall? At least things that are fairly common knowledge? For instance, which ones are the most famous ones? Are Astrologers really known to loose their marbles studying them?

I can only say [redacted] on this one. :)

12. While no Dragons have made it past the Wall in a long time, the Keystone adventure implies that a single one might occasionally try to land on it from time to time. Can you tell us when was the last time one tried this?

Decades ago, but within living memory.

13. What is Schohanwicht's policy on Familiars? Specifically Pamela. How well would she react to this? (even though there really isn't much said on this in game, there ought to be.)

I think you'll have to save this one for Y2. :)

14. Due to the role of dragons in the history of Cyve, there is a taboo surrounding the study of reptiles, if I recall correctly, explaining why reptiles are not studied in first year zoology. Does this taboo related to reptiles include a fear of snakes or association of them with evil/Dragons?

Yes to both.

15. What would the consequences be if a Y1 student were caught studying reptiles in a way analogous to the study of other types of animals in zoology?

It would depend on who discovered them, but if it were most of the Instructors at the Academagia, very little or nothing.

16. Are fungi recognized to be distinct from plants? if so, are they specially studied in upper year botany courses?

A great question. I don't believe they are.

17. What were the mottoes of Icanix and Kazus Colleges?

[Redacted] and [Redacted]. :)

18. Are there any procedures in place to deal with ghosts who may leak information?

No, not particularly.

19. Have ghosts of malefactors ever been recognized as competent witness in trials of their alleged co-conspirators?

Yes.

20. Are there heretics (because they would have to be heretics) who hold that the old and new gods were/are just exceptionally powerful mages?

If there are, they are exceptionally well hidden. ;)

So with regards to how Emotions have been changed in Y2, is it (still) possible for events/adventure to reward/punish the player, as it were, by giving them an Emotion? In Y1 this was possible but practically never utilized, since you'd almost always lose the emotion basically as soon as you got it, for better or worse, and if you didn't it'd almost always be because you already had it anyway.