Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

I finally learned to recognize 2 new constellations tonight. (Taurus and the Pleiades) Given that the only one I could recognize on sight before is Orion, I've made a 200% increase in stellar knowledge. ;)

Given that magical lights are a thing, how bad is light pollution in Mineta, and how easy can magic correct for this?

In fact, how difficult would a spell that makes the night sky keen and perfect to view? (at least for the caster) It would have to have a duration of at least an hour or two.

1. Are any characters in Y1 from Valvili? what region/country on Earth does it correspond to?

2. Aliviera Battori is said to be apparently a former regent of Godina. Why would this be doubted? Are former regegents such obscure figures that people cannot be certain in Mineta whether a person was a regent? or does this only apply to Godina College?

3. How did the Journals of al-Ghadoor get to Mineta? were they seized on suspicion that al-Ghadoor was in the Empire of Man as a Draconic agent? Are the diaries not propaganda? They seem to confirm very neatly the idea that Oursoukis are agents of dragons.

4. Do the constant suspicions that Oursoukis are Draconic agents make it difficult for them to do business in Mineta? Would persons in Mineta (such as Academagia students) doing frequent business with them be tainted by this suspicion?

S;

1) Technically both, but mechanically only the Skill.

2) Apt question! [Redacted] :)

Rhi;

1. None of the students are from Valvili, at least, and there isn't a single specific real-world parallel - or, if there is, it's little bit Greenland, a little bit early Kiev, a little bit Svalbard.  Regardless, it's largely inhabited by descendants of the rather wide-traveling Northern Folk, and it's a long way away from the politics of Mineta.

2. There are two separate issues with the legitimacy of Aliviera Battori.  First is the claim that she was Regent of Godina three times; in practice, she was able to seize and hold the office for extended periods on three separate occasions, back when Academy intrigues were even more... exuberant than in the present day.  In the official records, she was indeed Regent, but there are still partisans of other factions that wouldn't care to acknowledge it.  Second is the question of whether the woman who currently runs the Fires of Creation is the real Aliviera; the actual lady ended her last tour as Regent around 1640, and she wasn't a young woman then...

Peaches are known and grown in Mineta, although they are not native there.

Rhialto, I would say Negation would not only be easier for detecting, it would also be useful to unmask the imposter too.

Legate!

1. Exactly when does the Venalicium close? What about the Library of the Mantle of Stars, and the Library of Manetele? And I suppose that the Library of Longshade is officially closed always. While I suppose we know Why it closed, can you tell us How it happened and if not how, then When?

2. Have old Gates or Mastery enchantments ever been found by accident in the student dormitories? Mischievous fairly innocent stuff back from before the bans and not the malicious stuff bringing up images of black wizards?

3.Since Orsi graduated from the Academagia, Can you pretty please tell us what College he attended?

4. Can you tell us if Y2 is playable from beginning to end, yet? You don't need to tell us anything more, or how bad the bugs might be. I just want to gauge progress... :(

5. I don't think it was ever asked, but... Exactly what does the calendar year count from? The Exile?

6.  Can you explain to me how Revisions which might otherwise kill people by turning them into inanimate objects, would allow them to survive? And can you explain why the heart is significant when being slowly petrified under such a revision?

7. Would bringing a fresh-baked apple pie into Calligraphy class be considered disruptive by Von Rupprecht? Or would he just let it slide after he confiscated it? What would happen to repeat offenders? :)

8. What is the significance of magic that smells of Cinnamon? or any magic that leaves behind any particular smell even if that wasn't part of the spell at all?

9. While Massioti may not care if you go to Contu's school so long as he doesn't find you playing Rimbal for them, traditionally, what did the former Regents and Godina staff think of this? What do the Contu teachers think of an Academagia student showing up at their doors to learn? Would they care at all?

@freespace2dotcom: The chain of lores uncovered by researching relaxation reveals that Orsi was a Verrnin student. And while negation would be useful for exposing impostures based upon glamour, I was thinking about impostures in which no magic were involved - say, a person claiming to be a long-lost heir to a fortune.

2 hours ago, Rhialto said:

@freespace2dotcom: The chain of lores uncovered by researching relaxation reveals that Orsi was a Verrnin student. And while negation would be useful for exposing impostures based upon glamour, I was thinking about impostures in which no magic were involved - say, a person claiming to be a long-lost heir to a fortune.

This has got to be fairly new then. I don't do research in the game and I haven't read that in the mod tools. Fascinating. I guess I need to get off my butt and finally play a DLC 17 game, even though I've been waiting for the new modbase to come out before fooling with that...

I find most research lores to be very boring, since they do not tell a coherent story, but just give snippets of in game information that is often disconnected from the setting, but the lores for researching Relaxation are one of the few that I enjoy, since they provide hilarious insight into the characters of Briardi, Orsi, Flore, and Prudence, all while telling a funny and interesting story about Orsi's rise to power. The Lore Level 10 bonus is not broken, either, and is useful (+1 Fitness) which is an added in-game bonus.

Speaking of which, Question 11. Are there any professors who would actively discourage or even punish students for researching their pasts?

Question 11. Are there any professors who would encourage or even reward students for researching their pasts aside from Massioti, whom I assume would love to be known as a champion archer and dagger thrower?

I suspect that professors would only passively prevent students from researching their past. To do so actively is to put a giant bullseye on your butt saying, "Hey guys, I've got some information that will hurt me if it gets out, please kick me!"

5 hours ago, freespace2dotcom said:

Rhialto, I would say Negation would not only be easier for detecting, it would also be useful to unmask the imposter too.

Legate!

1. Exactly when does the Venalicium close? What about the Library of the Mantle of Stars, and the Library of Manetele? And I suppose that the Library of Longshade is officially closed always. While I suppose we know Why it closed, can you tell us How it happened and if not how, then When?

2. Have old Gates or Mastery enchantments ever been found by accident in the student dormitories? Mischievous fairly innocent stuff back from before the bans and not the malicious stuff bringing up images of black wizards?

3.Since Orsi graduated from the Academagia, Can you pretty please tell us what College he attended?

4. Can you tell us if Y2 is playable from beginning to end, yet? You don't need to tell us anything more, or how bad the bugs might be. I just want to gauge progress... :(

5. I don't think it was ever asked, but... Exactly what does the calendar year count from? The Exile?

6.  Can you explain to me how Revisions which might otherwise kill people by turning them into inanimate objects, would allow them to survive? And can you explain why the heart is significant when being slowly petrified under such a revision?

7. Would bringing a fresh-baked apple pie into Calligraphy class be considered disruptive by Von Rupprecht? Or would he just let it slide after he confiscated it? What would happen to repeat offenders? :)

8. What is the significance of magic that smells of Cinnamon? or any magic that leaves behind any particular smell even if that wasn't part of the spell at all?

9. While Massioti may not care if you go to Contu's school so long as he doesn't find you playing Rimbal for them, traditionally, what did the former Regents and Godina staff think of this? What do the Contu teachers think of an Academagia student showing up at their doors to learn? Would they care at all?

3 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

10) Do year 2 have the ability to give different CoD depending if it is Class time or not?

1 hour ago, Rhialto said:

Question 11a. Are there any professors who would actively discourage or even punish students for researching their pasts?

Question 11b. Are there any professors who would encourage or even reward students for researching their pasts aside from Massioti, whom I assume would love to be known as a champion archer and dagger thrower?

To make it easier for the Legate I put all questions in this posting, I hope I didn't forgot one.

Schwarzbart;

Thanks! :)

They close to *Students* the day after the last day of class. Longshade is, of course, [Redacted]. :)

If they have, it's been suppressed, or it wasn't identified as such...

[Redacted], although...

4. Can you tell us if Y2 is playable from beginning to end, yet? You don't need to tell us anything more, or how bad the bugs might be. I just want to gauge progress... :(

Yep.

The founding of the Empire of Man.

It's a great question, one that many magical theorists (and religious philosophers) have grappled with. You'll get many, many, many answers to this question, but current magical theory suggests that the survival of the victim is independent of the state of the body during transformation, regardless of the length of that transformation, once the Ideals have been changed.

7. Would bringing a fresh-baked apple pie into Calligraphy class be considered disruptive by Von Rupprecht? Or would he just let it slide after he confiscated it? What would happen to repeat offenders? :)

You will have to find out. :)

It is part of the caster's aura, generally.

The Contus wouldn't care, but certainly Academagia staff frown on it.

6 hours ago, Schwarzbart said:

10) Do year 2 have the ability to give different CoD depending if it is Class time or not?

Hmmm. No. :(

Question 11a. Are there any professors who would actively discourage or even punish students for researching their pasts?

Mmmm. Most all of them. :)

Question 11b. Are there any professors who would encourage or even reward students for researching their pasts aside from Massioti, whom I assume would love to be known as a champion archer and dagger thrower?

There are Instructors who would like you to research a *specific part* of their backgrounds, like Massioti. But...maybe not all of it. :)

13. Would astrology be the easiest magical way to identify a person/distinguish an imposter from the real person? I assume that the imposter is not using glamour magic, just making claims that cannot be easily disproven.

The easiest way, hmmmmmm. Depending on the availability of the subject and their cooperation, Negation is likely the easiest. You would set about proving or disproving parts of their story. Astrology can do the same thing without the needed cooperation, but it would be very different, and only grow in complexity the more comprehensive the proof needed to be.