Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

3 hours ago, freespace2dotcom said:

Legate, While there are probably lots of candidates for the best Legate of the Academagia, (and probably a little bit of bias exists, ha!) Who would be considered as some of the worst Legates in the Academagia's history and why did they get the notoriety?

2) Was there ever a Legate that was a expert in Mastery who used said magic to keep order at Academagia? (I hope the records of the Legates in the past didn't get cleaned for this as well)

I am sure there was.

3) What is the longest and shortest tenure of the Legate's office ?

4) Were their cases where a former Legate become one again ? exemple ?

5) have there been some (surely extraordinary) cases where a Legate held a Regent seat at the same time ?

6) Do you have any infamous exemples of Legate showing a strong bias to a particular college to share with us ?.

And here you are!

1)  Ah, Legates gone bad - a perennial favorite among Academagia history students!  The great standout of the relatively modern era was Legate Donatio Rosada, who in 1522 attempted a coup in the heart of Mineta itself.  He hoped to depose (and in some cases murder) the Golden Families of the city and replace their leadership with his Fratellanza dei Saggi, or Fraternity of Sages - basically a bunch of wizards who would restore Mineta to its ancient greatness.

Instead, he managed to disable enough of the city's magical defenses to allow in invaders from Villefour and Montevre, who argued that they were needed to purge the city of its "foreign influences."  [Incidentally, this in turn led to the ancient Dell'Acqua family - as Golden as Golden gets - marrying off a daughter to a nobleman from Chagnac named Etiphien Chard in exchange for help booting the Montevran menace out.]

When the dust settled, the wizards of the day decided to show Rosada mercy, sort of.  They imposed his consciousness into the body of his Familiar (a doomhound, appropriately enough), flipped the dog's awareness into his own form, and locked both into a magical glass house in the middle of Undergate so that the citizens of Mineta could watch their antics any time of day or night.

2)  The records were very much cleaned.  ;)

3)  Longest tenure belonged to Erato of Monteon, the Lady of Rubies, from 517 to 608.  Legend has it that once a year she would magically age every student a single day, and rejuvenate herself by the accumulated number of days she had claimed - but when the magic went wrong, it went very wrong.

It's disputed, but the shortest tenure probably goes to Publia Mero in 1122.  She was a hermit who lived in the mountains, and was widely loved for her wisdom and benevolence; representatives from the City and the Academy pled with her to take the job when no one else would, and she grudgingly accepted.  For better or for worse, she announced she was going to walk barefoot from the mountain to the school in a show of humility after receiving the keys of office, which gave "pranksters" from Aranaz the opportunity to intercept her en route and Gate her to the village of West Nothing in Balesfield.  [She took this as a great reprieve from the Gods, and ultimately ended up marrying a local pig farmer.]

The keys of office returned to the Academy within an hour of her disappearance, and that was taken as an official resignation.

4)  They went and found poor Publia again in 1128, and by then she was sick of pig farming.  This time she lasted as Legate until 1137.  It's not the only example of a returning Legate, but our favorite.  ;)

5)  In theory, no.  It's one of the oldest rules of the Academy: the Legate is appointed by Imperial authority (or the next best thing) to oversee the Colleges, but the Empire cannot set one College above the others.  If a Regent is going to become Legate, he or she has to stop being Regent first.

In practice, the Academy "disbanded" College Vernin and administered its properties for a good chunk of the 11th century, and it just happened that Legates of the period tended to come from the sorts of wealthy Minetan families who sent their kids into the Vernin towers and the like.  But, on paper, that was all coincidence.

6)  Oh, it's incredibly frequent.  At least half the Legates have historically been promoted up from within the Academy - the Regents all have deep ties to communities (and in some cases secret societies) in Mineta, and they don't have to worry about arguments over their qualifications - and they almost always come to office loving their College and hating at least one of the others.  It's really the model, and it's exactly the kind of reign that von Rupprecht was hoping to enjoy before the Captain brought in Orso.

We've mentioned the open hostilities between Legate Randsom and (Durand) Regent Ghiberti in the past - they had a duel that led to student deaths back in 1615 - but it's amazing how many of the histories of the period put down their disagreements not to the fact that Randsom was a secret Gates cultist, but instead to the fact that Randsom was a former Aranaz Regent who had it in for Durand and who seemed to be able to be in two places at once.  ;)

It continues to amaze me how much thought went into the lores. I love you guys. :)

So the Captain brought in Orso, eh? This implies that Orso became Legate *after* Von Rupprecht deposed Strom, whereas VR's description implies the other way around. Can/will you confirm one way or the other?

And we learned a little bit about the Chard family as well. Very interesting.

Does this magical glass house housing a former legate still exist, even if it's occupants may not? And just to ask, can that sort of swapping awareness be done without Mastery? Bcause it sure seems like that would be the way to do that, unless there's something special about the Familiar bond to allow that?

Longest tenure belonged to Erato of Monteon, the Lady of Rubies, from 517 to 608.  Legend has it that once a year she would magically age every student a single day, and rejuvenate herself by the accumulated number of days she had claimed - but when the magic went wrong, it went

very wrong.

4) What do the record say happened when her magic did go wrong? (there 2 possible drastic outcomes that come to my mind a ) The timeflow reversed and she aged her self b ) she took to much and became younger and younger till she became undone after an short moment as baby)

5) Are there records /speculations that a youth stealing spell was used at other times and places?

6) What school of magic would such a youth stealing spell belong to? (Right now I probably would place it in forbidden Astrology magic)

7) Do each spell sphere of magic have a way to stop aging at last in combination with Enchant /Artifice? 

8) If so the I think I'm missing the glamour, incantation and astrology (except I'm right with the youth stealing spell) way at moment. Could you share what age stopping magic this 3 have and if my "speculation" below is correct? 

Revision direct stop the aging or even reverse it, Mastery transfer mind & soul in a new body, Negation ... Negate aging ... at last theoretical speaking, Gate live most of your time in a sphere that slow or even stop aging and probably Astrology the youth stealing magic. 

.1. Are concepts like Sanctuary for fugitives practiced in certain religious institutions?

2. While I suspect the team is unwilling to comment on the specific magic that Briardi used while floating the flooded river over Mineta in stormy dreams, I would like to ask about how possible it is to overstrain yourself while using magic? And what are some of the most common things that can happen if you actually faint from casting powerful ones.

Conjecturing here but if Glammour is like illusions magic in other settings aka if your powerfull enough the illusions become real then just making you look younger will do the trick.

Astrology is covered by the weird magic that old hag of a legate used no doubt.

Incantations is a bit tricky but I guess you could incant new organs and cells instead of rejunevating them with Revisions. New is better some say.

Of course Enchant makes everything better because well... Vernin obviously. -_-

Free;

1) Yes.

2) It's definitely possible to overstrain yourself- Gates, in particular, is very, very demanding physically. This doesn't come from any type of magical fatigue (usually), but rather from the complexity and range of the motions necessary to draw the Phemes and Spells.

3) The Team actually answered, but it's [Redacted]. Here's what I can show. :)

[Redacted]

The glass house in Undergate was torn down in 1599.  By then it was widely seen as cursed or haunted, and it attracted sick animals from across the entire island.

[Redacted]

;)

1. I take it that it would be a very bad insult to describe Catherine Chard as the offspring of mercenaries whom the Golden Families ingratiated themselves with. But do the Chards have to deal with such insults or rumours surrounding them?

2. Speaking of such rumours or insults, would a history written outside Mineta describe (and not affiliated with the Chard family) describe the Chards as the offspring of mercenaries whom the Golden Families ingratiated themselves with? What about a history written inside Mineta (not affiliated with the Chard family)?

Considering that Etiphien was a nobleman, I don't see what she whould find insulting about her ancestor origins.

And where do you get that the Chard are descended from mercenaries ?

I think that in the case of Catherine she would probably take it badly to admit that her blood is not as old some families living in Mineta are.

4. Will Y2 allow us the freedom to, say, choose that our character's family is closely related to other characters (Say you're a cousin or something) or at least is politically in sync with their families? Or is the player's family mostly going to be a separate thing from that?

5. As far as the Related to Traitors background is concerned, I'd like to ask if my player character's name is the same as the person who committed the crime, whatever it was? Or if the family changed the name in the time since it happened?

6. Can you tell us a little bit about College Vernin's pile of discarded enchanted artifacts? Is there a reason that they are all discarded in one spot? And how Dangerous is it to go looking for buried treasure in it?

7. What is the largest Magical Gate that was ever (known to be) created and why was it done?

8. Does Lambert Cobo ever bother with disguises when sneaking about places where he shouldn't be? Or is he strictly a stealth-first person?

9. Since the Emperor's throne is vacant, How is the Position of Captain of Mineta filled in his absence?

10. Regarding the Special Diploma that the Academagia used to give out for those students who could best all the Regents of the Colleges, I understand that that sort of thing is not practiced now,  but I would like to ask if it would be possible for a very exceptional student to ask the Regents and Legate for a challenge in that vein in the closing days of Y5? Especially if the player is graduating anyway and wants to leave school with a bang, rather than leave school early as was the original intent behind the event. Humorously, on a side note, would an Aranaz student who declared that as their Final Project be taken seriously? (whether or not it would be accepted as a valid project per the school's rules has nothing to do with the rule of drama, haha)

S & Free;

3) I dare not answer. :)

4. Will Y2 allow us the freedom to, say, choose that our character's family is closely related to other characters (Say you're a cousin or something) or at least is politically in sync with their families? Or is the player's family mostly going to be a separate thing from that?

No, alas! But that would be very cool.

5. As far as the Related to Traitors background is concerned, I'd like to ask if my player character's name is the same as the person who committed the crime, whatever it was? Or if the family changed the name in the time since it happened?

That really depends on your character's name, but the working assumption is that it has changed.

6. Can you tell us a little bit about College Vernin's pile of discarded enchanted artifacts? Is there a reason that they are all discarded in one spot? And how Dangerous is it to go looking for buried treasure in it?

They are discarded in the same place for convenience, but also because no one wanted to take the time to properly disenchant them. It is dangerous, yes. Very. :)

7. What is the largest Magical Gate that was ever (known to be) created and why was it done?

Oooh. I'll ask.

8. Does Lambert Cobo ever bother with disguises when sneaking about places where he shouldn't be? Or is he strictly a stealth-first person?

Although I can't be definitive, I definitely think he wears disguises, too.

9. Since the Emperor's throne is vacant, How is the Position of Captain of Mineta filled in his absence?

It's determined by the nobility, and sometimes other leading figures in the City, usually.

10. Regarding the Special Diploma that the Academagia used to give out for those students who could best all the Regents of the Colleges, I understand that that sort of thing is not practiced now,  but I would like to ask if it would be possible for a very exceptional student to ask the Regents and Legate for a challenge in that vein in the closing days of Y5? Especially if the player is graduating anyway and wants to leave school with a bang, rather than leave school early as was the original intent behind the event. Humorously, on a side note, would an Aranaz student who declared that as their Final Project be taken seriously? (whether or not it would be accepted as a valid project per the school's rules has nothing to do with the rule of drama, haha)

That sounds very cool. I'll take the suggestion to the Team...;)

1) Was Necromancy ever considered as separate pillar of magic?

Not at the Academagia.

12) Will the NPC students be able to control other students in year 2 as well or is the control other function player only?

It's, in theory, possible in Y2. But I doubt it. ;)

Legate;

1. What is the Academagia's policy on students trying to learn Fey magic?

2. Have students ever received summons to a gathering of either a dark or light court of faeries? If one did receive such an "invite", what is the recommended course of action?

3. Are Master Illusionists capable of making illusions that can fool even the fabric of reality? In theory, could you use such an ability to, say, bring the dead back to life?

4. Are there any good ways to tell whether a dream might be prophetic or not? At least things that Piaxenza might be testing out in his own dream observations?

5. How does the Academagia handle sleepwalking students? Especially those who have a tendency to cast spells in their sleep?

6. Are there any creatures known, that a dragon might give a moment's hesitation about fighting? even if only a split second?

7. How common and useful is magically fortifying real foods with extra nutrition?

8. How common is smoking in setting? I recall Orsi conjuring up a pipe with something called Dragonroot, I think? Can you tell us about that, and why it might be used over tobacco? Is tobacco known?

9. What safeguards are in place to prevent the regent from a particular college from showering their students with merit to win the races? Has such a merit race happened between colleges before?

10. I imagine Orso is far too busy to even consider helping me with my learning to be an omni-disciplinarian, even assuming he was inclined to want to help me. That said, if I could hunt him down at the end of Y1, (when Briardi wasn't looking, hehee) Would he consider giving advice for how to spend the summer? (And it wouldm't be, "This is where Polysena lives, Don't practice near there."?)

11. Exactly why is it so shocking that Professor Briardi used to date someone? Is she the perennially professionally single type? She does seem a bit too rigid at times...

12. About how long could an End of Y1 Enchanting student set up a long-term enchantment for?

13. Of all the students in Y1, not counting the player, who would you say has the most intelligent Familiar?

14. How many mages have a decent Enspell skill? It's been said that many wait until they're older before bothering with it. Can you give an example the professors might give as to why you want to Train that skill as early as possible? Exactly where does the Phemes subskill fit in compared to the main Pillars of magic?

15,  Has the Venalicium ever had a fire before? If so, what happened?

1. Was the Venalicium always the main library in the history of Academagia? (At last it looks to me that it is the main library now)

If not ...

1a. When was the Venalicium build and who was the regent back then?

1b. What was the main library before the Venalicium? 

2. Do each College have their own library and if so how are they called?