Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Rhi;

1. How easy is it to use revision magic to change weapons into less harmful things (i.e., swords into stalks of grain)?

It's not overly hard, in the hands of a skilled practitioner.

2. Are better quality weapons imbued with negation magic in order to protect them from such transformations?

As Metis notes. They typically are enchanted or artificed to deviate in some significant way from the Ideal, so that it's much harder to Revise.

3. Is it common in Academagia for parents to pressure their children to choose one college over another?

Not usually, no. Nobility, or parents that have attended, are the general exception.

4. Related to #3, are some colleges seen as better by the aristocracy in terms of providing appropriate environments and curricula?

Vernin, as Metis notes. :)

1. Are all members of the clergy trained mages (or at least expected to be)?

2. What pillars of magic are most commonly practiced among the clergy?

3. You have said that originally, no college of Academagia focused upon astrology, which was presented as a universal pillar. Was Avila then originally focused upon being a college for women?

4. Is Avila's current focus on etiquette due to Regent-Professor Badcrumble's interests, or is it a long-standing tradition for the college?

Honestly there's a difference between segregation and discrimination, Schwarzbart. Especially when it comes to keeping boys and girls seperate, for obvious reasons. And even to this day the individual colleges continue the segregation, just on a more local level.

It's been stated that Badcrumble has made significant efforts to make the boys dorms more livable. And I don't think the goblins are prejudiced against gender. I think they just enjoy dirty things, though if I'm being prejudiced against goblins, any self-identified goblin can feel free to correct me. :rolleyes:

How about an indoor pool from all the rainwater seeping into the basement, furnaces stuck on full blast all the time (explaining the lack of windows) and ogres instead of goblins?

Honestly, though, I think infestation is a more appropriate word than invasion. In the one random event where a girl character sneaks into the boy's dorm on a bet, you can wind up coming face to face with a goblin and it's just as scared of you as the other way around.

Personally, I was hoping for aquatic ogres. Complete with low-tech scuba gear and magic/clockwork harpoon gun analogues :rolleyes:. I mean it'd beg a lot of questions as to what the hell Dorm Tower Eight was build on, and especially what they'd use the harpoon guns for, but that'd definitely be worse than goblins ^_^.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised you said nothing about furnaces being on full blast underwater when the whole basement would be submerged, but then I guess magic could easily take care of that. It would also be very Academagia-like to spend a lot of effort to protect a malfunctioning object from somthing that could damage it, while also ignoring the issues causing it to malfunction anyway.

...Never even occurred to me that the furnaces would be in the basement. Every house I remember living in (which, admittedly, isn't saying much) had the boiler in the attic, so...go figure. That'd certainly create an interesting situation RE: Aquatic ogres, though. Maybe it's "their" communal cooking pot?

Maybe it's a European/Amerian thing? I've always assumed furnaces and water heaters and the like to be in the basement if there was one available.

It also might be an old-fashioned/modern clash, too. I know a lot of old coal furnaces would always be in the basement. Who'd be interested in hauling UP all the fuel you need to the attic every day? (especially in a multi-story building), when it's far easier to pipe in the hot air? Hot air rises naturally, after all.

Well, in my case this house (and the one I remember living in before it) use(d) gas boilers, so no problems in terms of shovelling coal anywhere. In those two examples I'd say it was just a design decision - in both cases the boiler is located in a place where you couldn't really do anything else with the space, other than a small storage area, whereas the basements are (relatively) huge and spacious. Of course compare that to my grandma's house, who had the (gas) boiler I think located in the kitchen? Ground floor, at least, and my other grandma's house who I'm quite sure has a gas boiler in the basement currently, might have been a coal boiler at some point. The latter's house I want to say is the oldest, since it's light switches are dials rather than...well, switches, though I've no idea how old it is. The only point of comparison I have is a house I know was build in the 70s, which shows with it's psychedelic tile work accenting the gold-coloured toilet and wall covered with floor carpet (yes, really), so I want to say pre-70s? Incidentally, I don't know where that 70s house's boiler is...I think maybe the garage? It's the only place I haven't been to, since as far as I know it doesn't have an attic or a basement.

...I guess it's an old-fashioned/modern thing, if it's anything at all? I don't have a better guess.

Dials for lights date back mostly to the 1960's and 70's if I recall. They probably were used earlier but that was when they were most popular.

I really doubt that many folks use coal today but it was surprisingly common even as late as the 1950's. I grew up in Chicago, which has a lot of old buildings, and little things that go back over a century, like lots of wooden porches which satisfies old fire code stating a need for 2 egress routes for any apartment... And though rare, even holes in the kitchen wall can be found so that the non-electric Ice Box that was in common use for a time could be easily replenished, though almost all of those are sealed up.

Which brings an interesting point. Legate. What kind of oddities can be found in the buildings in Mineta that might be unusual for us simply due to the times that they live in, in setting?