Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

1. If the Sticky Thread is "spun only once a year by a nomadic clan of Wizards deep in the Findricar Forest on Villocia," as per the lore, then why is it found in the Spider's Grove of the Imperial reserve? Could it be that the claim of the thread's unique origin in the Findricar Forest is a deception intended to drive up prices for it?

2. What percentage of the over world's area (by over-world, I mean floating islands and things at that level) is clearly mapped? Is is thought impossible for there to be large floating islands unknown to Mineta?

3. Why is it so difficult to travel to the land that Miya claims to come from (the east Asia equivalent)? lack of knowledge of hazards? distance? fear of dragon attacks? political interference by some states? lack of legal teleportation?

4. When teleportation was legal, was it easier to travel to the land that Miya claims to come from (the east Asia equivalent)?

5. Speaking of Miya, had she been caught for stealing what she stole in her adventure, could she have been executed? or would she have been shown mercy due to her age, sex, and/or attendance at Academagia?

How was magical travel handled, when Gates was legal and just about anyone with a basic understanding of it could move about freely without any customs declarations or anything? I can't help but wonder if at least a small part of the ban on Gates would be to stop smugglers, haha!

Hmm, Legate, what's the difference with "teleportation" and "portal hop between 2 spots"? Magically speaking. In practical effect surely near identical minus size and logistic restraints for the latter...

Legate, 

I'm in need of info to help me get started on an archery club adventure (and maybe some events for club members)

1. Are the names/descriptions of any older students involved in the archery club available?

2. Are any of the same year students interested in or currently in the archery club?

3. Do first years have access to "try out" clubs? Can they actually join clubs during their first year?

4. What competitive events does the archery club compete in?

Free;

Portals were static, but still required significant investment from a master. And, like any Enchantment, they could only last so long.

Ry;

Sure!

1) I think only a few upperclassmen have been published- no, in this case.

2) I imagine some are. You'd have to guess, but I doubt you would wrong. :)

3) No, it's a school rule that they cannot, in order to focus on studies.

4) You are free to invent here! :)

Ok, so:

1. With regards to the older students, should I just make them up? Or is there a way I can get a list or some info? 

2. As far as same-year students, the only obvious choice is Gwendy Zuyder, but I think she'd have a rather negative view of calling shooting at non-living targets as "sport". Though that could be interesting in it's own way, if she's the student visiting the club with the main character. And I suppose I could see her interested in using astrology to improve accuracy. Still, I can't see her as wanting to join a competition archery club that's not geared toward actual hunting.

Other marginally "possible" students:

Miya - storytelling or drama club? Not to mention she's probably going to be busy with something else...

Noemia - Maybe? School newspaper seems like a better fit though... but her parents probably want her involved in some kind of athletics since they made her attend Godina, and Archery is certainly less scary than Rimbal...

Antonio - it's a combat useful skill, but... doesn't really seem like he'd have the patience for it and would probably rather join a fencing club.

After a quick trip through the wiki pages, that's pretty much it, so unless there's any suggestions, I'm at a loss.

3. The idea I have starts with the main character visiting the archery club to see if it's a club that they want join in the future and the early stages involve trying out some of the club training activities under the supervision of one of the older members, is that something better done as a year 2 adventure then? Or is it just the officially joining part that's not allowed in Year 1?

3a. Are the school newspaper (Rikildis) and student government (Aranaz adventure) considered exceptions?

4. What is the focus of the existing archery club? Practical combat applications? Hunting? Sport competition?

I think the Bookworms is an exception because it's seen as an opportunity to study, helping take care of the Venalicium's stock of textbooks and all. As for Rikildis' newspaper, it isn't an officially recognized club so much as it's something that she just...does in her spare time.

Also, on students who might want to join an Archery club, Catherine Chard and Corradin D'Alfi. The former sees hunting as a noble's sport (one of the new DLC adventures has her doing exactly that with a bow, even) and Corradin would likely follow in line with her. A bit reluctantly, perhaps, but he would.

Ry;

1. With regards to the older students, should I just make them up? Or is there a way I can get a list or some info?

Sure, have at it! The Team will edit if needed. :)

3. The idea I have starts with the main character visiting the archery club to see if it's a club that they want join in the future and the early stages involve trying out some of the club training activities under the supervision of one of the older members, is that something better done as a year 2 adventure then? Or is it just the officially joining part that's not allowed in Year 1?

The joining and dedicated activities. As Metis & Schwarzbart noted, it's not a hard rule if it's academic in nature, however.

3a. Are the school newspaper (Rikildis) and student government (Aranaz adventure) considered exceptions?

As Metis noted. :)

4. What is the focus of the existing archery club? Practical combat applications? Hunting? Sport competition?

Hunting.

Interesting. I had thought it would be more of an olympic-style competition sports club like the Rimbal team (considering that it is part of the athletic fields), or an aesthetic thing like the Japanese zen archery.

Catherine and Corradin, eh? If I set up the adventure with the player going with Gwendy and Noemia, then Catherine and Corradin could show up as the villains. Might even be able to set it up with two separate paths depending on which group the player sides with, mwahahaha! ;)

Guess I need to read through Catherine's and Corradin's adventures to get some flavor for their personalities. I'll also need to take some time to re-read the Archery related lores.

Ok so new questions:

1. What do they tend to hunt?

2. Where do they tend to hunt?

3. Is hunting in the Imperial Reserve discouraged/illegal?

4. Is Godina also in charge of archery? Who is the professor assigned to the archery club?

5. Does the archery club/team have any rivalries? Other schools? Colleges? Clubs? Teams?

6. How is magic integrated into archery? While using a wand to draw phemes then pull an arrow seems problematic (holstering the wand might cancel the spell and drawing while holding a wand seems risky), drawing the phemes with the arrow before placing it on the bow and drawing the bow seems like an interesting approach (though that could make arrows expensive, if they needed special properties to make that practical). 

Ry;

1) It depends on the season, but game animals.

2) There are protected forests to the south of the city, and this is the usual destination of the nobility.

3) Illegal, yes. :)

4) Club activities aren't associated with a College per se. The instructor is someone you haven't met yet, I believe.

5) As it happens, they do...

6) Enchantments, usually, although spell release can be done using an arrow to draw Phemes!

It's thought no large islands remain undiscovered.

Exactly what constitutes an unusually large uncharted island? and what is the typical size of yet uncharted islands when they are found?

Did the island that appeared over the Academagia in the main story wander in with the storm? That part wasn't explained especially well, because it's kind of implied that it shows up rather suddenly...

To me the text sound that the isle was suddenly here aka it teleported there and not normal moved there. Probably the storm was actual there because such a big object suddenly enter reality.

Do you think there would be so many groups send there if it was already a known isle that just moved by some miles?

5 hours ago, freespace2dotcom said:

Did the island that appeared over the Academagia in the main story wander in with the storm? That part wasn't explained especially well, because it's kind of implied that it shows up rather suddenly...

2) Is the caste system already hit its limit in what colors and outfit are given to each population group? I know in Germany they put groups together that actual had nearly nothing in common to keep the outfit regulations going even after in the cities where more specialized professions.