Black Chicken Studios Forums

Similar Games

reckonersr

Fate of The World

The year is 2020. Climate change has been ignored. Cities are underwater. People are starving. Nations brace for war. Species are dying. And you’ve got to solve the crisis. The fate of the world is in your hands.

A simulation game where you try to solve world crisis natural disasters, foreign diplomacy, clandestine operations, technological breakthroughs, and somehow satisfy the food and energy needs of a growing world population in the next 200 years.

This game just released couple of days ago, so I haven't played it yet.

Democracy 2

Government Sim. Pretty short game since you are pretty much done when majority of the people are happy and you solved the crisis.

Kudos by the same people who did Democracy maybe?

the 'choice of games' webgames to some extent, they're obviously a lot simpler but they're free as long as you play the web version and not the iphone version

Cute Knight and its sequel, as well as the princess maker games they're based on if you can find an english patch

they're also doing a magical school dating sim which is in alpha

also do you like sim board games?

Kudos by the same people who did Democracy maybe?

the 'choice of games' webgames to some extent, they're obviously a lot simpler but they're free as long as you play the web version and not the iphone version

Cute Knight and its sequel, as well as the princess maker games they're based on if you can find an english patch

they're also doing a magical school dating sim which is in alpha

also do you like sim board games?

Actually when I first saw this topic I thought about Princess Maker 2. However, since my only exposure to the game was through a rather PG-13/R rated Let's Play write-up I read a while ago I didn't want to bring it up... :blush:

Just tried Fate of The World for a hour or two. Pretty interesting, I was expecting something like Ufo: Enemy Unknown, but it's a turn based card game that you play cards at each major continent to solve the problem.

Wish there would be a story, but there's just four campaigns where stage one throw you out of tutorial too fast and leave you to solve the whole world right at stage two with tough losing condition, Stage three seems to be a super hard mode, and stage four require you to be politically evil and raise hell on earth without being banned from the countries.

Definitely education and explore all sort current technology and theoretical technology that can use to solve the world, and you can read all about it in the in-game wiki. I feel smarter already. :rolleyes:

However, since my only exposure to the game was through a rather PG-13/R rated Let's Play write-up I read a while ago I didn't want to bring it up... :blush:

Same here, along with "other" similar titles. Since Academagia is for 9+ and above, I will just assume there is 9 years old in this forum somewhere.

Oh yeah, King of Dragon Pass is pure awesome. You can get it game from the website or try the demo first.

However, the game is currently scheduled to be published for iOS platform in early 2011 with a little extras, so you might want to wait instead.

• 3 months later...

Oh yeah, King of Dragon Pass is pure awesome. You can get it game from the website or try the demo first.

However, the game is currently scheduled to be published for iOS platform in early 2011 with a little extras, so you might want to wait instead.

If KoDP is released for the Apple next year, I hope A Sharp upgrades the PC version for "little extras." It's an extraordinary game.

I'd buy that again for 'little extras'. Hey, I just want a sequel. :)

I just checked A-Sharp's website. The information is that the game will be next on the iPhone and iPod, and "Our goal is to keep King of Dragon Pass’s unique stories and basic game play, but simplify things where possible."

I suspect they believe (with some reason) that the giant iPhone/iPod market isn't into simulations with that level of density, so simplification, rather than add-ons, is the order of the day. I've been hoping they'd do a followup title, given that Web-based games now sell well, unlike when they first released KoDP, but they're still pretty gun shy. Perhaps after the iOS version comes out and does well, they'll reconsider.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly the Windows Tour reports that the arcive is damaged (I tryed 2 times now to download and the install)

Edit: Found a downlowd that worked over a other webpage.

As a gamer, I do not particularly favor simulation games. However, I do enjoy Japanese visual novels. Depending on if you like the Adventures and Events in Academagia, you might like them too.

9 Hours, 9 People, 9 Doors - Forced into playing a twisted game, you are one of nine people who has to correctly decide how to proceed within nine hours. Choose unwisely or wait too long, you will die. I don't know if it is actually good, but it sounds like an interesting premise to me. DS.

Ever17 - Trapped within an underwater amusement park, you and an number of other people have to find some way to escape - or die trying.

Harvest Moon - You are essentially a city slicker who has come to the country to run a farm. As you go about your work, you develop relationships with the people in the local village. Many different versions available, including girl-oriented ones.

Phoenix Wright - You are an defense attorney who argues on the behalf of people who are accused of wrongdoing. DS.

Snatcher - Set in a science-fiction future, it is all about robots that imitate humans in order to "snatch" key figures. The story was made by Hideo Kojima. Sega CD.

Shira Oka - Second Chances - Mixture of simulation and visual novel, created by Westerners. In this game, you reincarnate and continually play out scenarios, like in Groundhog Day. Not bad. PC.

Magical Dairy - Looks it takes place in an magical academy, and the first version is for girls. Looks interesting to me, but I will be waiting for a male-oriented outing.

Cute Knight Deluxe - An western interpretation of "Princess Maker", you play as a girl who wants to get ahead in life, be it through adventuring, magic, waitress, or working at an exotic bar. PC. There is a sequel, but I personally don't care for the none-anime art style of Kingdoms.

On the other hand, I like Cute Knight Kingdoms more. Hee.

Let me try to think.

If you like the RPG (and simulation) part of Academagia most...

King of Dragon Pass is brilliant- a tactical simulation game, basically. One of my favorites. You may want to wait for the Iphone version, but seriously, it's incredibly brilliant. You help a tribe in a very strange world branch out in to awesome, and the world built around you is incredible.

...If you like that, you may want to keep an eye out for Crusader Kings II, which will be coming out from Paradox... sometime. Paradox Games does brilliant real time strategy games, and Crusader Kings II will be probably something of a cross between the usual real time strategy with a slightly more RPG/simulation tinge (due to the more personal nature of your ruler and family). When I'm not playing Academagia, I'm playing Europia Universalis III, these days. (My dear Prussia currently owns Canada and South America. Making history is very amusing. Yet I still find myself butting heads with Austria all the time. Somethings just don't change.)

Capitalism ho! If action-RPGs are your bag,Racettear is an item store simulation/RPG that's tooth-rottingly adorable.

Princess Maker 2 was never legally released (the group finished translating it (mostly) but the contract was broken, still the translation is still out and about everywhere on the web (and you'll find it on many sites that will assure you it's perfectly legal)). A grey area, but it's fun. Child raising sim: you play the father of a young girl and help guide her to become awesome. Or horrible. There's a fangroup working on translating Princess Maker 5. I actually bought that, even though I really don't know quite enough Japanese to really play it all that well (I can read basically elementary school level kanji, but not much more ._.). Still, fun. Um, there's a free flash game... Project: Princess out there, that takes all it's cues from Princess Maker. Not as complete or with as many options, but still possibly fun. And there's Carmen Sandiago in it, which makes up for a lot, in my opinion.

Harvest Moon, I used to love upon love. Sadly, I don't think any other version has reached the sheer awesome of the N64 one (even though that was a guy only). ...Still, I had it on my SNES, and I have it on my Wii, and I've had it on all systems in-between. Farming sim with town life. Fun. Animal Crossing might also appeal.

For visual novel combined with RPG combined with awesome psycho-analysis combined with ridiculous difficulty, Persona 3 and 4. (Female gamers, get the Persona 3 Portable for PSP- it has the female route. But play the male route, then the female route (that goes for all players): it makes more sense that way, with the male route revealing the main plot and then the female route going and revealing answers to some unanswered questions and developing things slightly differently.) Probably my favorite Eastern RPGs ever. I'm not kidding about the difficulty, though: you probably want easy or normal for the first time through. Don't go hardcore/insane/nightmare. It will make you cry. Regardless, brilliant game.

Let's go old school, too. If what you like about Academagia is choosing your paths, then you may like old-school syntex based adventure games. A good compromise between them is Blue Lacuna which is the old-school type in your text ('look at painting') game that's unold-school very forgiving and paired with a gorgeous story (if at times, heartbreaking- I cried (for reasons other than difficulty :P), but I'm like that). And free!

If you liked more the Visual Novel (and Simulation) aspect of Academagia, then...

In general, Hanako does some great games. I've been having a lot of fun with Magical Diary, although it does have it's oddities (...I can't help but get a bit weirded out by the Professor being a romance option). I find her games are perhaps a bit overpriced for what you get out of them, so I'd wait for sales and discounts, but they do have their amusements. Cute Knight (Deluxe), Cute Knight Kingdom, Magical Diary, Date Warp, and Fatal Hearts I've all played and enjoyed. Summer Session is the only one I've played that didn't really appeal to me.

Choice of Games' four main games are incredibly fun. I believe most of them are on the iphone now, too. Choice of Broadsides is probably the best, though I adore Choice of Vampire- brings back all those years I spent playing Masquerade (...and then Requiem). The online games are free, but do 'stop' right when things are getting good (at least with Vampire- the others have a more final resting point). Regardless, they're fun. For Choice of Vampire, make sure to do another sire first, then try the route with West (for maximum potential, going German is good). Very different story. A lot of thought went in to those games. Well, maybe not too much thought for Dragon, but it's still hilarious.

And when mentioning choose-your-own adventure type games, I have to of course mention the ones that made the genre famous. Relive Lone Wolf, now online. Remember to save your character charts, and when you switch from the first five to second five books (or however many there are), you'll need to go back to the main page to get the updated chart for the second series.

I have a love-hate deal with Shira Oka. Dating sims are amusing, but frustrating, but amusing... for gals looking at dating sims (or guys who don't mind playing gals- I do the opposite :)), Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side: First Love and Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side: Second Season have been translated by fans. I note for the sake of the board that the legality of that is iffy: they should only be used to patch an imported copy. Pirating gets you no cookies. In a simular status, there's a lot of other Japanese visual novels that occupy similar areas. You can find some translated doujin games out there, though, which are legal. I just can't think of any good visual novels atm, but I'm sure some will come to me. Free dating sims are out there, too- I know Fantasia and RE: Alistair for girls are of good quality. I don't know of any good free ones heterosexual guys, but I'm sure they're out there. Just not on newgrounds.

All that said and done, though, when it comes to games that a player of Academagia may like, there is one game I must recommend. Similar Victorian delight (if a bit less with the steampunk), similar brilliant characters, similar hard decisions... the only sad part is that it requires either twitter or facebook. If you do have them, though, I must implore you to take a visit to Fallen London, delicious friends.

You'll stay at the bazaar will be lovely, I'm certain. <3

Come to think of it, I want to recommend two really old but excellent adventure games. They are Star Trek adventure games that were made in the DOS era, but I think they truly captured the spirit of the original series. Each game has a number of chapters in which the player may converse with various people, and solve oodles of puzzles in order to progress. Now, the thing is that there is a scoring system that determines how much like an Starfleet officer you have behaved, and grades you according to your diplomatic abilities, loss of red shirts, and overall performance when resolving issues. You can probably find both games on Amazon or Ebay, but be on the lookout for Collector's Editions - they feature the voices of Kirk, Spock, and other actors from the show. Together, I consider them an additional season of TOS, which can't be a bad thing.

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (PC. The SNES version is horrid.)

Star Trek: Judgment Rites (PC, an direct sequel of 25th Anniversary.)

For Choice of Games, I recommend you check out their forums for the homebrew games - some of them are really good.

And Introcomp.

Trying Fallen London right now. Is considering using Cosetta Re as my name and getting killed horribly if possible.

Then decided not to.

Is now pretending to be the counterpart of Knoht in Fallen London!

Yay, another one brought to the lovely Echo Bazaar! Bwhahaha, etc etc etc.

Currently, my character is trying to drive herself insane in the search for a name which should not be searched. It's fun.

For Magical Diary, I think what's being done is each collage will be a seperate release. She did Horse Hall (girls), next will be Wolf Hall (a boys starting hall), then she'll probably do Butterfly, then Falcon, then Snakes and Toads. To get the full overview on all the characters and dramas, you'll have had to have played each game probably multiple times, but each game itself tells a pretty contained story.

I'm just worried about pricing. Six games at 20 or so can be a bit owch, and Hanako releases games fast! Hopefully they'll eventually be a bundle version with a discount.

Me, release games fast? I think you're mixing me up with jack/winterwolves :) I tend to release one game a year at best.

Yes, each Hall will be separate, but there will be bundles AND discounts for people who bought earlier games. So you'll still get game 2 cheaper if you bought game 1 even if you buy game 1 now. I don't want people to feel cheated by not waiting.