Black Chicken Studios Forums

Cool Kickstarter Thread

Schwarzbart

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now what have the maker of the Oyua expected when they say they direct add a other 50k to every sucessfull KS that get at last 50k and make theyr game 6 month time exclusive?

For a Normal developer there is simply no large enough market at Oyua to can live with the 6 month time exclusive as the game sales have shown so fare.

So whats left? Yes exactly people who never plan to spend the full 90k they get from KS+Ouya fund on the development of the game.

Take this a bit future if people spend the 50k in theyr own KS and accept the lost of the 10% there for gaining a other 50k sound like a good deal, dosn't it?

Sure they wuld probably have to spend some money on the development of a game but nobody say how much it actual have to cost and so doing a game done in 1-2 man years they probably still left with a win of 20-30k bevore taxes.

Edit: But there is a other trend at KS that I doubt is good.

Some 1 or 2 person LLC Companys try to get $500k to cover for the full development costs with nothing to show so fare because they have no artist in theyr team.

Given all the publicity games like Starcitizen is gettign for their crowdfunding I guess it's only natural for a few scammers to enter the stage.

People are givign away money? Can I have some of that?

It's hardly surprising.

I've pledged a decent amount for Star citizen and a small 5£ pledge for Elite Dangerous. Hopefully those two won't dissapoint me entierly and will deliver some kind of game in the end :)

It's kind of crazy to invest into something that gives you minimal insight though ;)

But I would love to get a good old spacesim if possible. I havn't had one of those for quite a while.

Oh. Fallen London.

I have never been burned out by the grinding so much. I backed their Tales of the Silver Tree and then I literally got thrown into grinder's hell, far beyond the level of any shallow Korean MMO or Chinese Skinner Boxes.

The worst thing is that they are wonderful writers but my experience with Tales of the Silver Tree is that it takes 3 hours for each little bit of progression so replaying for new endings are just soul-crushing and I don't want to use a bot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a new article about Kickstarter at RPS

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/21/kickstarter-pledges-are-risky-investments-not-purchases/

But I have to disagree with them as if it is a risk investment because then I would have to expect a lower price then the retail price for the game copy but by now it turns out that most KS games sell for even lower in Early Access, when they are released or short after thanks to STEAM.

So we are down to the point that the game might not be made at all if we don't invest but that's only good for so many similar games.

KS backing have already inert the problem that the game might end up in nothing you like, if we now also take out that the developer have to refund the backer (or at last sign for bankrupt) if they can't deliver the rewards they promised then what's left?

• 3 months later...

I have to break the long time of silent here because The Universim sounds very interesting.

The-Universim_UI_Concept.jpg

It is a God game where you go from stoneage over spaceage to even colonize other planets, at last that what they promise.

The graphic they already have looks nice but the big risk I see in backing this is that the team overdo them self with the large scale of this game.

Still if they manage to bring what they promise it could be a really great game.

• 1 month later...

The rate its going I could see it going to 15mil. I never much cared for the show as I was reading since I was like four and it had to compete for my time with the golden age of television animation, but I respect the message.

Is it me or the ''we can bring reading rainbow to every child everywhere''... is US only? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

To anyone that have internet to access it online for free on their pc. The 1 mil goal also include providing all of them for free to 1500 school that can't afford it because school licensing fee works differently at a subscription bases or something.

Isn't the idea to teach read and write using a PC very strange as it require one already to be able to read and write and the family to have the resources for such a device?

For most its the problem of the poor who can't afford to send their children to a school and where the parent also can't read and write.

But if the parents already don't have enough money to feed their family they for most time will send the young for some kind of work, mostly illegal ones, instead to a school.

In my opinion its one of the most important functions of a country to give the next generation a good enough education that they can join the workforce.

With a rich country like the USA there should be no external help needed like trough donations to fulfil this.

You are making an extreme example there. If a family can't afford all three things you listed, then they should satisfy for government aid programs and even domestic/foreign aid program like One Laptop per Child.

To address the last two points, even in the USA, 1 in 4 kids still grow up Illiterate, which can lead to the first three extreme condition you mentioned. If every country's education system is working and successful as intended, we probably won't need this kickstarter in the first place.

In my country you get even brought to school by the police if your missing class unexcused by your parent or a doctor.

Some parents even lost their children because they refused to send their children to the school.

Its quite simple you have to go to school as child for at last 8 years and there is absolute no way out of this except you leave the country.

I was never a truant, but from my experiences It's never been that strict. In the US there probably would be police involved if we were talking about a period of a month or greater but I've never been in that situation so I don't know.

What if parents want to do homeschooling?

Not even the people of a circus are allowed to do home teaching to my knowledge. You actual have to create a full school to teach children and your teacher have to be official educated as teacher for the specific classes you have.

Beside by unexcused missing the police is at latest at the second day in front of the house of your parents.

But as mentioned that's how it is handled in my country.

Back when I was still attending school the country shifted to a stricter policy for attendance and hour mandates, which was met with widespread resist and protest. Not enough to overturn the decision, but the following policy changes had a definite "please don't object again it's for your own good" feel to it. The funny part is that the policy shift meant more time had to be spend in the classrooms and later campaigns focussed on trying to convince people to actually do that, but never were there any rules that said students had to actually be taught anything during all those extra periods, so most were spend doing nothing in an empty classroom.

Really, everything from grade school to high school for me was very little but an in-depth study of something located between Lawful Stupid and Stupid Good. As for the Kickstarter, eh, really? Aren't there like dozens and dozens of software and toys and shows and whatever else already? Besides, isn't "things that cease to be profitable cease to exist" a perfectly valid lesson for the kids in it's own right?

Archived