Black Chicken Studios Forums

Cool Kickstarter Thread

Schwarzbart

Back when I was in sixth grade, around 1996 or so, I still remember being woken up from a nap by my teacher who was standing next to a school administrator, and asked me a question from a part of my textbook the class hadn't gotten to, which I answered correctly and then went back to sleep.

I didn't think much of that then, but I realize now that I'm older that schools can hold back a kid just as much as help them in some cases. I'm a big believer in laissez-faire in most things, and it really should be up to the people affected to make their own choices for good or ill.

Anyway, I'm sure that with the kickstarter being an internet app it will be available to people all over the world. (that can make use of English language material anyway.) If people see the good in it then they should be allowed to spend their money however they want. I didn't see anything that lead me to conclude there that it was "US ONLY" and while I'm sure that a program based on an American television show would be focused primarily on America, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or have Kickstarter projects the tendency to be even earlier to be available a large discounts then any other games?

I.e.Broken Age release January 28, 2014 is now part of the GOG summer sale for $12.49 instead of $24.99 and was before already part of some Humble Bundle deals.

And if my mind don't fail me every large video game Kickstarter project that was released so fare was already either in a bundle or in a 50% and up discount sale.

If they don't have a major publisher backing them, It would be hard to maintain sales momentum after the early adopters buy in. That's a guaranteed way to get more sales. Might reduce the shelf life of the product but that's the nature of the beast.

The discounted price is usually about the same price that backer paid anyway, and the extra cost is usually from the publisher fee and stuff. They might get a bit more profit in the long term by charging it higher for a longer period, but the game has already made back its cost thanks to kickstarter, and getting massive boost of money from discount sales will help a lot with quickly funding the next project. It's not like you can't keep doing discount special for the next 50 years, look at the current summer Steam Sales.

Looking long term again, more faster funding to develop and pump out games faster could be better than keeping a few old game at higher prices while developing slowly.

Nyaa sadly your wrong, right now I know for sure that FTL and Broken Age where sold below the Kickstarter price by no small margin even before the release.

(FTL at GOG and Broken Age at Humble Bundle)

Shadowrun Returns was by now already sold at 10% of the price a KS backer had paid minimum to get the game.

For people that still pledge at Kickstarter and are interested in a Dieselpunk RPG InSomnia might be worth a look.

085ba274c604a36a133dcf1958141d9a_large.j

Its the second try of this team to find enough backer and the main changes are that compared to the previous what was a online co-op game the new KS is a DRM free single player / co-op game.

• 3 weeks later...

I've backed Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous (not in the beta, just a small game package for when it's released).

They arn't RPG heavy as in having skills for your characters, but you can work factions and you can roleplay your character. Also, I've always enjoyed those good old spacesims. Npc's and NPC crew will have some kind of skill progression though if you hire them or assign them as an Alt NPC.

Elite: seems well on it's way but I hear it's been in development for years before the Kickstarter, so the kickstarter might have been more of an attempt to show investors there was interest in the genre, and has gained some investor support.

I really hope Star Citizen makes it :) It sounds like a really interesting universe to explore, and you arn't bound by your ship, you can actually leave it and explore places. Least they should have the money needed, I hope the different teams will be able to integrate all those different aspects of the game. They also got the wingcommander like singleplayer campaign if nothing else :)

And, I'm also looking forward to Academagia year 2! Or the Beta for it ;)

Ooh, a double negative! :( Tricky! ;)

I'm not totally going to not tease Schwarzbart for a grammar lesson in a language that is not his own! ;)

(for the record, I am looking forward to y2 also!, when it comes out in a few more years. ;))

It will be fun to attempt to incert your character into the post-School world, at the end of year 5.

I'm sure a lot of student's will either be working on securing a job or planning for some other activities after school when the end of year 5 is approaching.

Some might be going back to a family business, or starting a family, or seeking employment as a court wizard. Or become the harbingers of doom. Or Heroes or just simple crooks because their grades suck and/or they arn't satisfied with the options provided through legal means.

Or maybe their study in botany has turned them into farmers seeking to win awards for the biggest pumpkin and such.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bunchoballoons/bunch-o-balloons-100-water-balloons-in-less-than-1

A little too old to care about it now, but I still think it's cool. Maybe an idea for the Y2 or later balloon day. ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived