Black Chicken Studios Forums

An online Ars Magica session

Adrian

Yay

I came across something. I think this question is asking a bit of you to do, but it's mainly a precaution.

I was looking at wizard war and saw something called a wizard march. What is it, what are the normal causes (other than over use of wizard war), and what known instantes did it happen (where it wasn't due to over use of wizard war).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nagas: A wizards' march is, as I recall, something like excommunication for the Church - i.e. you are officially kicked out and everyone must officially hate you - except they are also officially required to kill you. A war is between 2 magi, I think.

Wizard's March: When a Tribunal finds someone guilty of a HIGH CRIME (one punishable by death) they declare a Wizard's March on them. Their parens must try to find them and slay them: by tradition they get the first spell or attack. It is customary for the person ot be executed to be allowed to leave the Tribunal Meeting, and for the March to begin after the meeting ends; not always the case through, some Tribunals keep you under a spell and kill you immediately. It varies on local practice. However basically it means you are chucked out of the Order, and all other members must hunt you down and slay you -- but your parens gets the first shot, so to speak, and honour demands they at least try. LOW CRIMES are just punished by fines, etc, etc.

Wizard's War: Any magi may declare war on each other, and must give notice on the night of a new moon I think, usually by Redcap. 28 days later the war begins, and lasts for the next lunar month - 28 days. They may hunt each other down and kill each other without breaking the Code. Whole covenants, even whole Houses (in the Schism War) have declared Wizard's War on each other. You can not however keep declaring war on the same person!

Certamen: a less violent way of settling disputes. Effectively magus A challenges Magus B to a duel over Stakes C & D. C (or D) is often a "dare" - you will give me a pawn of vis, or you not enter my covenant again, or you will copy a book for me, or you will help me with a project, or you will wear your undergarments on your head for a season, or you will tell everyone you like sheep - whatever the stakes are, the person challenging proposes them, and often D forfeit they will pay if they lose. If the challenged agrees to certamen, a magical duel ensues, in which no one can be harmed, as it uses non-violent magical rites. House Tremere are REALLY good at this, and use it to bully/coerce/encourage people in to doing what they want.

Scrying: It is illegal to use magic to spy upon another member of the Order of Hermes, including unGifted Redcaps. It is illegal to use Truth magics upon a magus even at Tribunal under investigation for example, unless they agree.

Wow interisting infos here. Sadly this don't hold true for our new player as he is no mage.

Maybe Freespace should start puting his own ideas together what he want to play if he want to continue so this char can sacreviced if needed.

Btw sorry CJ that today we took a lot of extra time from you to sort everything out.

...Certamen...Calpurnia is probably going to one day use it to make Sir Class her pet for said amount of time...Yeah---------------.

Soso You whant to go the path of Low Crime?

Beside that Class is not realy weak there also and if he win you will have to give soemthing of simmiliar value as what you ask!

Yes, Gustbran is not guilty of a Hermetic Crime as he is not a magus. Any magus can slay him with impunity, as he is no longer a member of Nigrasaxa, so long as by their actions they do not bring ruin upon anyone in the Order of Hermes. (interfering with Mundanes is ONLY a crime if it causes problems for a magus, covenant or the Order as a whole).

Tribunal Procedures and Hermetic Law are detailed in a book called Houses of Hermes True Lineages. I have been writing for the line for over a decade now and I STILL find the way the Code of Hermes hard works in practice to understand. :)http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG0277.php is the book if anyone wants it, it is available in pdf but costs $15 for the download from - http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=AG0277 Still I do encourage people to buy the pdf's or books rather than pirate, as I promise that Ars Magica authors work incredibly hard on their books and ATLAS GAMES need the money if the line is to continue. I know people do try and pirate the books because I'm always getting people searching for them on my website, which is kind of depressing, given how horribly poor I am! :)

There is however no need ot won the book for this saga, unless you really want to and are interested in Original research, Tribunal Procedures, Redcaps, and Houses Tremere, Guernicus, Bonisagus and Merecre which are detailed in there. :D

cj x

Sorry with 10 ARS Magica pdf I bought after we started my limit is hit for now.

Edit: scrap that! I actual own this book already and now just need to find the time to read the right passages.

Beside CJ how much do you get per sold pdf of your book? 1$ or even less? At last if you are allowed to talk about it.

Ars Magica 5th Hedge Magic Revised Edition

Reason CJ is one of the 2 writer. But Beside this I doubt its a good book in the hand of the player unless they are into secret groups within the Order of Hermes.

Priority 1 the Core Rule Book

Priority 2 The Book that cover your house

After this I think its up to you.

This will probably be when Class tries to leave. Unless she loses interest of having a eagle owl. When that day comes.

Trust me when he leaves the way I sayed you probably realise it to late and he wont care at all any more about the covenant and so your cellange will hit deaf ears.

Beside that as soon he made the name change I realy doubt you have any chance in finding him ever again.

But if you want a eagle owl so much why not get your self a eagle owl familiar?

Trust me when he leaves the way I sayed you probably realise it to late and he wont care at all any more about the covenant and so your cellange will hit deaf ears.

Beside that as soon he made the name change I realy doubt you have any chance in finding him ever again.

But if you want a eagle owl so much why not get your self a eagle owl familiar?

Because it would most likely flee as she has blatant gift and it affects animals along with humans, etc.

I don't get royalties. However sales will determine if I get to write any more books in the future, but if by me or others does not matter. I'd say buy books that interest you if any. The core rules will be really useful to own, in 5th Edition. Beyond that nothing is necessary.

The House Books are as follows

Houses of Hermes : True Lineages - covers Mercere, Bonisagus, Tremere and Guernicus. Very handy with a lot of detail on how the Order works.

Houses of Hermes : Mystery Cults - absolutely wonderful if you are playing Criamon, Bjornaer, Verditius or Merinita

Houses of Hermes: Societates - covers Jerbiton, Tytalus, Flambeau and House Ex Miscellanea

You don't need them, but they are very nice and useful books. If you are going to buy a book, I'd buy one of those for your characters House.

I wouldn't recommend The Mysteries Revised Edition yet, even though I was an author. Later in the campaign may be useful, but we are a year off that power level I would say.

Realms of Power Magic is actually a really great book if you want to run the game, and has loads in it but not needed yet. The other Realms books are not needed yet much, though ROP: Infernal and Divine are interesting and Faerie but you won't know anything about them yet.

If I think someone would benefit from a book I'll point it out, but don't feel you need to buy any books beyond the Core Rules to play this game.

Oh and Art and Academe has some really lovely stuff on Medieval Science, Medicine, Art and Education. You don't need it, but it's a fun read, if really hard going in places! City and Gild is good for trader/merchants and urban life.

Grogs is a great book. I'd recommend that. But all these books are expensive, so buy what interests you and as you can afford, and ask questions about other stuff. You should NOT need any book beyond the core rules!

cj x

Well a owl is out of the question unless my awesome magic defense of 16 can block it.

The Owl of Virtue can captivate other

birds with its expression; if captured, the

owl can charm its captors into setting it free.

Seeing an owl during the daytime is widely

thought to be a bad omen.

I don't know how far along the owls this applies to, but it's good info to know.

Archived