Black Chicken Studios Forums

An online Ars Magica session

Adrian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nagash He just told you to rise your Parma Magica above this level bevor you try to get your Familiar. You need to rise to this level anyway if you ever want to take a apprentice!

@CJ Wasn't it 4? As you get -3 and still need to keep 1 left to have it active or can it go down to 0 and then only give the protection from the social effect the gift have?

Once more this will be a problem. Knowing my characters... qualities finding one that doesn't reject her nature (depends what the definition of nature is, state of being, mind set, etc.) But, hey does make the search all the more climatic once one is found.

The animal can sense something of your nature

when you are in close contact. If your natures

clash, it rejects you. The need for mutual admiration

between magus and familiar is why air

magi, for example, often take birds as familiars,

and why you can often tell something about

magi by the familiars they have chosen and

that have chosen them.

Yes, a familiar can be friendly despite the Gift. What makes it a familiar. And yes it is Parma Magica 4 :) Let me know if starting to look for one and i'll build opportunities in to the stories

cj x

Let me know if starting to look for one and i'll build opportunities in to the stories

Well I do have a Minor story flaw : Magical Animal Companion for a

flying fish

but you can change it to something else like pet rock or something.

My Inoffensive to Animals virtue should save me the need to get higher parma for now.

OK, just in case anyone interested, the player characters home, the floating sky-city of Jade & Ivory.

city.jpg

Silas trained in the Tower of Emerald Joys

Calpurnia trained in the Tower of Flaming Passions

Makara trained in the Tower of Secret Philosophy

Baruch has a lab in the Tower of Emerald Joys

Class trained in the Tower of Secret Philosophy

Helpax trained in the Tower of Burnished Brass

The magi never invited apprentices to visit other towers, and Baruch alone has been in all four as a guest, and fairly briefly in some cases.

feel free to ask questions :)

cj x

I was expecting a more ruined like thing (maybe it still is).

My main questions are for what the quarters are for mainly angelic, Edenic, and hyperborean.

Also what is the temple of Jade and Ivory to (if the covenant even know)

Where is the entrance to the catacombs (if there is one entrance)

I was expecting a more ruined like thing (maybe it still is).

My main questions are for what the quarters are for mainly angelic, Edenic, and hyperborean.

Also what is the temple of Jade and Ivory to (if the covenant even know)

Where is the entrance to the catacombs (if there is one entrance)

The disk is 100m thick or thereabouts, and the catacombs have several entrances. Each Quarter has its own catacomb. the city is ancient, partially ruined and overgrown yes. Trees and undergrowth fill some alleys, and many buildings are collapsed. The Temple of Jade & ivory is the Palace of the Philosopher-Kings who rule the city - in other words the magi, that is your parens and Baruch. It contains the library and the Council Chamber. Labs are all in the great towers.

The Hyperborean quarter has tall willowy blonde haired people, who speak a strange tongue a little like Greek. Their skin is white as snow,and they like to boss everyone around. The city guard, leaders and administrators come from these people, who revere the Sun and prize physical fitness. They hold games in their forum, and love gladiatorial challenges, chariot races around the rim and epic poetry. They are warriors and heroes at heart. They can be given to becoming gloomy and depressive though. They are the most charismatic folk.

The Edenic Quarter have dark complexions, and black hair and brown eyes. They are passionate and at times volatile people. They hold masked balls, and are given to oratory, music and gossip. Poets, musicians and charming people - think all rock star wannabes with good looks and talent. Their tongue is like none you speak, but they are extremely friendly and their parties are legendary, and their hospitality famous. They are the most beautiful folk.

The Bazaar Quarter has bronze skinned people of dark hair and brown eyes, with Mediterranean complexions really. They are relaxed, quiet and extremely laid back, and they are much given to running the farms, food supply and barges. They are the extremely clever but easy going folks who get stuff done, and they like things the way they have always been. They have finally begun to accept the rule of the Philosopher Kings, but never thought it worth opposing even when the magi first arrived. Their tongue is probably unlike any you know. Everyone is welcome here, and people from the other quarters are often found here enjoying themselves. They are the friendliest folk.

The Angelic Quarter is said to weep for the sins of the world. Its people are of Northern European appearance, sombre and thoughtful, but resigned to toil at their appointed tasks. They speak a language which sounds a bit like German, but nothing like any German you know. They can be violent in pursuing their feuds, but it is always righteous anger carefully considered. They have many secrets, perhaps to terrible for outsiders to bear, so few enter this quarter. They are the secretive folk.

...Calpurnia feels a need to explore the Angelic Quarter in search of strange markings.

I've just read the Rival Magic and Revised Hedge Magic (partially)... Did I ever mention I have a love for Norse mythology, and after reading those two books partially I really want to have Vitkir or Muspelli character. Sigh--- and both of those are seperate of Hermetic society sigh-- Well I can still hope I can run upon some runes and hopefully they will be runes of frost type magic.

The alignment shown is arbitrary - it spins slowly clockwise all day, and counter-clockwise at night, which is why the water circulates through the canal. The motion is completely imperceptible unless you are looking over the edge, and fairly slow and graceful. At dawn and sunrise each day it pauses motion for two minutes. Why no one knows. In fact the magi still know little about the city it seems!

cj x

The Angelic Quarter is EXACTLY where such secrets would lie... Nagash this look OK to you? Hard work actually designing it!

cj x

What exactly do you mean by does this look OK to me? I can't really say how the place feels unless Calpurnia or my other character goes there. (which I will force Calpurnia to go someday as she wants to explore the catacombs)

If your talking about does it sound like it's a place where secrets would be then yeah. Out of all the places it sounds like the best to get info, but it sure won't be gotten easily if your description is truthful to who I speak to.

Well I'm trying to make it fit a) your expectations of how you all envisaged it and B) my plot points which dictated certain things must work certain ways. However the above covers all.my necessary plot stuff to some extent so now I'd like you all to make suggestions and ideas we can incorporate. The city has a number of mysteries I have designed but you can all think of cool things within it and I will add them.

Well my expectations were, I didn't exactly know what to expect.

I thought that the actual "civilized" part would be smaller and the majority of it be a plain/forest that is either held up by the islands internals or some other thing.

Though there is in theory about 45% wilderness it would be difficult to find (in my head) faeries. Which I envisioned would be a plot thing (not connect to my other character). Though not to say there aren't faeries inside the island.

There are definitely mysteries, like:

1. How the hell did these "mundanes" get up here(no idea if they all are truly mundane)

2. The lay seems very convenient in the way of it having a exact number of quarters needed and maybe the amount needed to keep said group from heavy squalor.

3. The simple fact the island floats.

4. How the place looks like the knights Templar/Teutonic order/iron cross sign.

5. It moves counter-clockwise, reason enough to be suspicious.

6. Why are they not killing each other?

etc.

Anyway that little thing I mentioned is. As they speak a German like language it may contain some Virkir (order of Odin) in it or some people who know rune magic. It would make some sense as I wouldn't be surprised if other Rival magic groups were here. As it also has potential Augustan Brotherhood (the Hyperborean) and Sorcerers of Soqotra (the Bazaar quarter) here. Either way the place has a vast amount of people who due to lack of assimilation (I can guess this due to them being in their own little quarter) still have their cultural secrets. Be it just a couple of nice stories, inventions, or magics.

Uhh Goricious, a strange Criamon of the path of walking backwards. Who apparently goes to translyvania and adopts little girls (with bat wings). Not creepy at all. Just your average Criamon.

I did post something above what you posted above this like 1 minute before it. Typing this to make sure you read it.

CJ I hope the ideas I send you via the 2 mails about my Parrent (including a long therm goal) in combination what is at the backgroundstory of Class in the Charsheet is what your looking for.

For the city I also kind of hoped for more nature and maybe even a conection to a faerie regio but on can't have everything and so it is great as it is.

Edit:

As soon I have finished again a rework on my reserve mage I will try to do some grog level people for the city.

What is the common language there? Latin?

Edit 2:

How many normal Humans are you aiming to live on this city?

Was Ramon as Redcap allowed to enter the other tower on his dutty?

I expect that Ramon also stayed in the Tower of Emerald Joys or next to it when he is at the Covenant.

Would the magi who trained you and your actual parents often coincide? (I'm asking perhaps especially for Mercere?)

And the town looks amazing. I can imagine Silas wandering the Bazaar or strolling and dancing in the Edenic quarter (when not helping his 'parent' of cause) :) .

I'm slightly curious how many people live in the towers and how order is kept in the city, but, meh, I'm also quite happy enough to experience it when it comes. (The people, not the peace-keeping efforts mind you!)

Archived