Black Chicken Studios Forums

An online Ars Magica session

Adrian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that.

I think it would make sense for either the covenant to have a compass of some sort, or the boat to know the way. I don't think CJ has included that in his covenant calculations so far, though; we'll see what he thinks. Without this, we will always have to have Sedala with us when we travel, which is kind of sub-optimal :D

As you will find out shortly, the covenant has an arcane connection to the boat (and vice versa, of course), but making use of that to get back would require that one can spont at least a level 15 InHe or have a suitable spell, which I don't think anyone of us can do / has. So unless we can find a solution in time, I think you'll have to go with Ramon once more.

Ah, yes, I confused the spell you had on there for another. I think, however, that if it's concentration duration as you have indicated, then it would be level 20 - base 3, as for InCo The Inexorable Search, then +4 for arcane connection, and +1 for concentration. You wouldn't necessarily need it to be concentration, though, because I think a momentary indication of which direction to head into would be good enough for our purpose. You could cast it every once in a while if you're unsure.

Ok. Apparently it's easier to find a rock than a person :) I wonder which base we should use for a Herbam spell, because base 2 would drop the magnitude to 10 if momentary. That would make it possiblish to spont in the boat case, although I'm not sure anyone of us could still do it because we don't have an intellego or herbam expert, I think.

All right, after pouring over it for a while, I found the discrepancy.

Indeed, I was somehow 15 over, though had failed to add 3 elsewhere, bringing my total to 12 extra.

I dealt with it by tweaking the spells and arts just a tiny bit. Proper XP usage now. :)

(still have to settle on the extra "Characteristics" though.)

If we are sponting it, and the difficulty is normally 10, then I'll likely be able to pull it off, my herbam isn't amazing but my intellego is decent. If it is 15... well... with some luck... maybe... :P either way. Besides, won't we have an arcane connection to the ship as per Amaranth's blood scrying? or were we going after the row-boat form the first few sessions?

well, Does anyone else know Wizard's communion?

If "mysterymage" (gonna think up a name later) shows up before you all get into big trouble, he knows wizard's communion, and is fairly ideal for the initial casting of it. So we could in theory make a pretty nice high-leveled spell if one other of us knows it. If not then we'd be limited to lv. 10. All we'd need then is a single person who knows a good offensive spell at any level.

Baruch is going to get Wizard's communion at some point, but hasn't gotten around to it yet.

He also isn't going to be with you for the retrieval of the boat. The boat isn't, incidentally, the boat from last session, but the other small one from before - the small one's expensive though, so you better to try to get it back irrespective of whether we try to grab the attackers' ship later or not.

Class will be learning Wizard's communion at some point but right now the meeting of 12 years have replaced every plan of his to afterward in hope to manage to start the unlook of a Inner Mystery.

But it apear that I have to use Ramon anyway for this recovery.

Drake can be affected with Animal but also with Mentem.

So my character will have to be a support character or a negater. Maybe down the road he'll get the ability to learn a larger variety of Vim spells, and unlock the ability to use fae glamours or curses or something, but as spontaneous magic is outside of his realm... That's about it.

(I thought it'd be a neat play on the lore stating that meritina magi tend to have wild magic. I'd like to roleplay that his magic is so wild that he has to be extremely careful and cautious when using formulaic, and spontaneous magic is a nogo.)

I believe I have a list of all the Vim spells that are in the main rulebook, but does anyone have any other ones that I might be interested in learning to better assist the party in the future?

Evening chaps - I may try and pop in and say hi tomorrow, but I'm running a high fever and Barush is running the game anyway. Have a great time, and I'll see you all soon, and reply to emails. Oh and Sedala can't improve in downtime unless she eats vis - see Realm of power Magic. I Hope somebody has the book and can explain how creatures with Magic Might improve as i feel absolutely awful and can't do it tonight :(.

See you all soon.

cj x

I will explain how Magic Character Advance.

Upon becoming magical being, they can't learn new things like normal people anymore. This mean no studying book (except mystery cult book written for themself) or learn from teachers.

They can still gain xp from adventure, HOWEVER, they first must subtract their Magic Might from it.

Formula: Xp you gain - (Might - (vis consume X2))

Ex: A character with 10 Magic Might that gain 15 xp must -10 from the xp when they decide to spend it, so it will resulting you having only 5 points xp.

To get around this limitation, your char can consume a pawn of vis, each reduce the penalty by two.

Ex: Same example from above, but decide to eat 5 pawn of vis, then it will get 15 xp for his skill since the 5 pawn of vis negated the -10.

Edit: If the char is gifted, they can learn supernatural ability, but they must subtract the sum of all their supernatural ability scores as penalty along with their might penalty. You can spend vis to negate this too but you can spend no more than your magic might per session.

They can also initiate to mystery cult and gain virtue/flaw normally.

Edit 2: You can also spend your xp to do a thing call transformation, which is basically swapping virtue/flaws or even gaining it (expensive). The new virtue/flaw must fit the character theme though.

If a Magcial Creature from the Virtue Magical Mount can't grow at all then I should have gone to the upper limit wats possible (Magic Might 25)instead of limited her to Magic Might 10.

There is a other problem with this as in the Virtue it says if the Character is incapable to train the creature he have to take the Major Story Flaw Favor.

Thats why there must some rules somewhere to train them.

So yes that means if Ramon cant train Sedala the character need a major rework to keep within the rules.

Edit OK found where this is writen about will have to read it in the next time (RoP:M 81)

But from the what I can see Ramon would not be able to tame Sedala at all on his own so I have to replace his Story Flaw with Favors and make Sedala even more powerfull :(

(Easyst way I see right now to handle this -.- As my orginal plan was to get her to the full power allowed with the Virtue over time)

Nyaa, not that it is much of an issue (for me) but should the 'divided by' be a 'minus' in the calculation? Otherwise it would seem that you'd always have to subtract 'something' from your exp gain. (and you are missing a ')' at the end, but now I'm just being annoying :P )

Also, thanks for the links :)

Hope you get better CJ!

Archived