Black Chicken Studios Forums

Check difficulty

dustman

Just finished a game as Aranaz with 20 insight and maxed Wit (dlc 15). He spent quite a bit of time during last two month talking to Sphinx. With Wit/Insight check vs. 13 he fails relatively often, and action itself is colored blue.

So, what's chance of success for such action should be? I can't really get it from few other posts I've seen on wiki and forums.

The chance of failure must be around 7,5% in your example but as mentioned there hiden modifications.

Also dont forget that if you only get your chosen SS but fail to get the 2 other SS then its no failure of the roll but instead the Random SS come up to a skill you already haved maxed.

The chance of failure must be around 7,5% in your example but as mentioned there hiden modifications.

Also dont forget that if you only get your chosen SS but fail to get the 2 other SS then its no failure of the roll but instead the Random SS come up to a skill you already haved maxed.

I frankly don't get numbers. What do I roll? How it's modified by stats? What are other sorts of randomness? How other SS for the same skill affect rolls if they aren't mentioned at all? How can I use a mentioned formula (I get 10 - random*10, but what is this?)?

The roll is beatwean 0 and 2 times your Attribute and to this your Skill and half of your Familiar Skill is added.

So if you get to nearly 100% success its bether to train you Familiar in this skill then to boost your attributes.

There are no other SS but Hidden other effects on the rolls!!!

The roll is beatwean 0 and 2 times your Attribute and to this your Skill and half of your Familiar Skill is added.

So if you get to nearly 100% success its bether to train you Familiar in this skill then to boost your attributes.

There are no other SS but Hidden other effects on the rolls!!!

Now it's clear, thanks:) I would debate tho that training familiars is better than rising stats, since stats affect all dependent skills.

The problem ist that no mater how high you attribute is there is allways the chance that the roll ends up at 0 but i.e. if you have Wit 10 and your familiar have Wit 6 you have 13 so even if the roll end up with 0 you make it if there is no hidden effect that hinders you.

True but getting +3 Wit from familiar requires at least 9 actions spent, 6 for Wit 6 and 3 for one of the bonds. To compensate for this one should talk to Sphinx at least 95 times.

Depending of your Familiars Attributes its just 6 actions if you unlooked Improved Familiar Handling from Zoology 5. (beside that Bound 5 bring other nice things with it and might be needed to get trough your familiar adventures)

But anyway I usualy train my familiar Wit to just 2 to get a extre 1 point for the Sphinx roll.

The Sphinx does this to me all the time. I've gotten 10 Insight, 10 Wit, and 10 Wit on my familiar. The Sphinx still never turns green, though I'm pretty sure that should be a green roll. I'm convinced the Sphinx somehow has special coding to hate whoever is trying to talk to him. I can't figure out why else I fail so often.

Seriously, I have better luck at the Ministry of Transportation or whatever it is- that place where you have a 1 in 10 chance to be caught, that gives you four skill ups (Filing, History, and I don't remember what else). I can do that for ages and never get caught.

Go the Sphinx? Boom, he hates me. Fail!

(And I end up getting caught for trespassing, too.)

There is always a chance of failure, but I don't know what you need to do to turn the Sphinx green.

The Sphinx does this to me all the time. I've gotten 10 Insight, 10 Wit, and 10 Wit on my familiar. The Sphinx still never turns green, though I'm pretty sure that should be a green roll. I'm convinced the Sphinx somehow has special coding to hate whoever is trying to talk to him. I can't figure out why else I fail so often.

Seriously, I have better luck at the Ministry of Transportation or whatever it is- that place where you have a 1 in 10 chance to be caught, that gives you four skill ups (Filing, History, and I don't remember what else). I can do that for ages and never get caught.

Go the Sphinx? Boom, he hates me. Fail!

(And I end up getting caught for trespassing, too.)

There is always a chance of failure, but I don't know what you need to do to turn the Sphinx green.

Frankly, it sounds like a bug. What's a familiar for if it doesn't affect your rolls? I thought of creating Godina harpicordist who'd play Epics all the time, but now can't see how to pull it.

• 1 month later...

I might be incorrect, but I think the Familiar Bonus isn't included in that color calculation.

I'll ping the Team, though, as I'm unsure.

I'm actually referring to getting an actual failure while using it rather than the color (which I'm pretty sure doesn't account for familiar).

EDIT: Following up, I checked the editor but don't see anything amiss. Only thing I can thing of is if I've got some unknown %failure on social actions/abilities. As far as I know I should be fairly positive as far as % chance of success goes, but if I've got any chance of failure it may lead to a constitutive 1% failure chance. Not aware of anything on this char that would give %failure to any action/ability/spell type but I'll have a look tonight, as I'm a bit short on time now and the character is very far along and has a lot of passives to check.

Archived