Black Chicken Studios Forums

Green Incantation Checks

89157Z

On my most recent playthrough, I got a lot of green incantation checks during adventures and random events... in spite of not being in incantation classes and not studying the skill independently. I had zero incantation skill. Why were all these checks passing?

89157Z;

It may be that your Attribute was high, or that the check was low? Some combination is likely.

I thought attributes functioned as a random boost to the check, thus meaning that high attributes could only ever turn a check blue?

Well, If my understanding is correct, if the check is say a low 5, and your attribute is 3 and skill is one... Then a roll of anything but zero would be sufficient to pass. I'm not even sure if the game rolls zeros so if it doesn't that would mean an automatic pass and thus green.

Assuming my understanding checks out.

There are checks in events as low as 2. :) You can easily pass that with no skill whatsoever, just attribute-ness. More often, checks are 4, but that's still pretty easy to pass with attributes alone.

Well, If my understanding is correct, if the check is say a low 5, and your attribute is 3 and skill is one... Then a roll of anything but zero would be sufficient to pass. I'm not even sure if the game rolls zeros so if it doesn't that would mean an automatic pass and thus green.

Assuming my understanding checks out.

As I understand it, your attribute creates the check range, to the tune of attributex2. So at skill of 1 and attribute of 3, you have a check of 1+1d6. If you're aiming for a 5, you have to roll at least 4. Possible, but not the best odds.

89157Z;

You are correct- an Attribute of 3 would give you a range of +1-6.

That just restores the question of why I was getting green Incantation checks. I had skill 0. Granted, my attributes were in the 11-15 range, and that's without Cleansing first... Still! For a dominant attribute check (Finesse+Incantation) that should have produced a range of 1-22 (Finesse was one of my low attributes). It's very likely to pass an easy check, but not guaranteed. Shouldn't green only show up on guaranteed passes?

The most egregious of these was a blue check late in the Bassan Adventure. I checked it in the mod tools. Isn't 50% a less friendly color than blue?

89157Z;

I don't think so- green will show up if the likelihood of success is very high. I don't know the exact threshold off-hand, though. Blue is around 75% chance, if I recall correctly. 50% is black.

I must have some kind of invisible modifier going on. That test shouldn't have been blue, and a lot of these other ones that have shown up as green... well, only unlosable diff 1 tests should show up green for someone with no skill.

I think I've figured this out. I had clique members who were in incantation classes and doing quite well. Their skill was being subbed in for mine. That's how that works, right?

Archived