Black Chicken Studios Forums

The Academagia Gradebook (Year 1)

freespace2dotcom

Nothing Major. Just something from here that was so minor that it wasn't worth posting about.

http://academagia.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=2790&p=37340

Found a bug in the version I'm using:
In Music the player's pass or fail is according to the one of Alan and not the player.
Sorry if that was a problem of the port or is already fixed.

At least I think it's that. I've held on to 1.72 for so Long I don't remember. It's minor minor stuff that you shouldn't have to worry about.

This is minor, but is there any reasoning behind the overall ranking system being in alphabetical order based off of the college?

As in, if an Avila student and a Vernin student are tied in final score, the Avila student gets the higher rank. I was just wondering if this was something you did based off personal sorting preference, of if this is something the game actually takes into account.

Great tool though. I like looking at how all the pieces work together.

Grrr. Somebody found a bug that I am not likely capable of fixing. It's because of the way Excel sorts things.

To be quite honest, the exact way the game works is unknown to us, and this spreadsheet represents a 'Best Guess', Ties in practice shouldn't happen all that often. As future years come out, ties should become less common and this sort of thing should be less noticeable in the future.

It wouldn't surprise me too much if in setting that ties might not be formally recognized. There might be a need for a strict ranking, though this might just be my great hope. In any case, we're not going to see any changes in this sheet until the Team either tells us exactly how the game processes this info, or else Y2 is released and we can infer from that how certain calculations are done.

Haha no worries. The only reason I pointed it out is because I am indignant at being placed #2 in the ranks due to being in Vernin ;)

But yeah, even game mechanics notwithstanding, it is hard thinking of how to handle ties. Ideally you'd be able to reference the respective class GPA rather than the Honors system, but I know that'd be a nightmare in itself to make a Boolean that accounts for all that. I am very curious now to see how Y2 will account for all this too! I would hope they take test scores into account rather than solely rely on Honors scores.

I did want to make the numerical grade count in the calculations for the overall sheet, but due to the Curve in some classes, it would render the overall sheet more inaccurate than the current system. And the NIGHTMARE you mentioned indeed makes it not worth fooling with.

I'm not against tweaking the sheet to allow ties, but only when we have more information on how the game calculates things. Legate, that's your cue.... ;)

• 3 months later...

Thank you for reporting that.

That was due to a weighting error on the player character's score. Basically I had failed to change the player's grade calcs from 20% in mids and 80% in finals, to 13% in mids and 87% in finals.

If you would have put in finals you'd have found that your ranking would have been lower than it should have been. :(

Thankfully, after scouring the page, I found the bug.

Here's V1.73 with the corrected calculations for botany.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=82413846449222070933

Thank you for reporting that.

That was due to a weighting error on the player character's score. Basically I had failed to change the player's grade calcs from 20% in mids and 80% in finals, to 13% in mids and 87% in finals.

If you would have put in finals you'd have found that your ranking would have been lower than it should have been. :(

Thankfully, after scouring the page, I found the bug.

Here's V1.73 with the corrected calculations for botany.

It works now, thanks!

• 2 months later...

A new development. Since the forums now allow for the attachment of files directly to the forums, I've replaced the download link on the opening post of this thread with a link hosted by the forum itself.

So with a little luck, we'll never have a case where the link goes dead due to inactivity again!

... Seriously?

Go figure.

Legaaaaaate, someone needs to yell at the forum people! ...Again!

Until then, I still have the old download link here, and will put it back on the main post temporarily.

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2018 at 9:31 PM, freespace2dotcom said:

I just checked to make sure the link is still working. It still is. 42 downloads. Awesome number. You guys really do care~! :sadface:

One of the 42 people here :lol:. This is a great tool for people that wish to have a fuller picture of what's going on in their Academagia. So, thanks for your effort and time in making it.

After all, without it I'd never know Zoe Melis somehow managed to skip her Zoology midterms by being in Hall Sessions. I have no idea whether this is a bug, she really took the exam and I was merely not informed of her score, or what.