Black Chicken Studios Forums

Detention. Detention everywhere...

renoraider

Not really sure if this is a gamebreaking bug or an honest mistake on my part but, I've been skip-alternating classes (morning on monday, afternoon on tuesday, morning again on wednesday, etc.) I've kept this up for a while now, getting along well with professors, along with good exam grades. I don't really mind one or two sessions of detention every week but during rest I can't do anything except rest. I'm already in Nivelos, few days after the feast of Iasos. Detention is scheduled up until the last day of the last month and even then I can't change my actions into adventure/shop or basically anything besides rest, attend class, detention or hall session. The thing is, I can't even use items, use spells or abilities. Any ideas if this is it for my character or temporary. This is a new game after I updated my version to accommodate the 16th dlc. Help!

Yeah... skipping detention *really* gets you into trouble... or more trouble, to be correct.

If you skip too much you get forced into attending class and detentions and nothing else, it is when you start getting hall sessions.

To avoid this in the future then be sure to at least attend detentions. They tend to only last a week or two so it is no major loss on your part time-wise considering what happens if you don't attend them. Skipping classes is of cause fine, but keep in mind that the game keeps track on how much you have been skipping and the teachers will punish you if your attendence %age goes too high.

Also, welcome to the posting part of the forums! :)

First of all where you have Rest is the place where you usually do your actions as Rest only heals you up and do nothing else.

Then you also can skip class but this can get you to detention and the more you miss class the higher the chance get that you get detention.

Skipping detention is a big large no as this is granted way to give you a extra detention or even straight to hall sessions.

When you get to the point where you get Hall Sessions, what means you can't use your time slots any more till they end, then best stop to be a bad kid for the rest of the year.

As player you can even reach the point where the Regents together with the Legate decide that your not worth the trouble and exclude you from the school.

What I mean to say is that I don't skip detentions (EVER) and I do all available hall sessions if they crop up. Problem is, the game's set so that there's detention once a week and even during holidays the only available action is rest, as in it's the only thing in the list of things you can do. I can't do any spells or abilities whatsoever. Random events still pop up as they should but it's gotten to the point where I'm no longer allowed to choose Adventure at the very least. To elaborate, I've recently changing my action locations in order to have a go at gaining new research topics and maxing skills to 11. I've also recently just unlocked the gates school and I've also used the Mastery papers, so, yeah, I've unlocked two of the prohibited schools of magic. Not surprised if this somehow has something to do with me no longer being able to do anything besides attend class, detention and sleep.

To elaborate, I've recently changing my action locations in order to have a go at gaining new research topics and maxing skills to 11.

Unless you have visitation rights to a location, getting caught there by someone that cares gets you a reprimand. And BTW, no one cares about you learning Gates or Mastery...in Y1, so long as you're not explicitly seen doing it by getting caught studying in the Forbidden Archive.

No, as mentioned above as soon you get Hall Sessions you can't use your time slots any more because your under constant watch! Only when the Court decide you no longer supposed to do Hall Sessions your allowed to use your time slots normal again.

But I'm personal usually not even skip enough class to get into detention so I'm not the best to ask.

No, as mentioned above as soon you get Hall Sessions you can't use your time slots any more because your under constant watch! Only when the Court decide you no longer supposed to do Hall Sessions your allowed to use your time slots normal again.

But I'm personal usually not even skip enough class to get into detention so I'm not the best to ask.

Any idea what factors can influence their decision? Thanks for the quick replies, btw, guys.

For deciding whether you're done with a Hall Session, I'm not sure. I know for regular detention it's if you're skilled enough with one of the personal favorite skills of whichever professor you have detention with - which skills those are for each professor are listed on the wiki. For whether you get detention for skipping class it's entirely a matter of how often you've skipped class and (a lack of) luck. Neither skill nor a lowered Chance of Detection (check your inventory to see that) influences that.

Ah sorry Renoraider, I even read your first post a few times to be sure, but somehow I must have convinced myself that you said you were skipping detention. My bad.

But yeah, as Schwarzbart and Metis mentioned, once you get Hall Sessions there is very little to my knowledge that helps, save perhaps time. I dislike this actively encuraging this semi meta-gaming but if you are not playing a roleplaying game then it may be worth reloading an older save if you got one, simply to avoid the "wased" time sitting with a dusty old teacher watching you do homework.

Another thing you can do if you're really cheap, and you don't intend on taking that character into Y2 (not that Y2 has been or will be released for a while anyway), is to not install patch 128 - DLC 16 accidentally shipped with patch 68, which hasn't yet fixed an old bug where if you only skip the afternoon classes, the game doesn't properly increase your chance of getting caught and being reprimanded. You can skip every single afternoon class in the entire game and the teachers aren't going to care simply because the game fails to make them notice.

I personally abuse this bug heavily and without a shred of guilt, although note that it's purely for the purpose of making the game more fun for me. You might have a different opinion on what exactly counts as "fun", so you can simply not abuse it if you so wish.

Another thing you can do if you're really cheap, and you don't intend on taking that character into Y2 (not that Y2 has been or will be released for a while anyway), is to not install patch 128 - DLC 16 accidentally shipped with patch 68, which hasn't yet fixed an old bug where if you only skip the afternoon classes, the game doesn't properly increase your chance of getting caught and being reprimanded. You can skip every single afternoon class in the entire game and the teachers aren't going to care simply because the game fails to make them notice.

Wait, Y2 won't properly import a character that hasn't been played under patch 128? Are there issues with older playthroughs (like I think around DLC 12 or so)?

The issue is that the game keeps track of attendance record in Y1, which will have an effect (positive or negative) in Y2. And not having been in 3 of your classes for 70% of the year...kinda falls onto the "negative" side of that scale.

The issue is that the game keeps track of attendance record in Y1, which will have an effect (positive or negative) in Y2. And not having been in 3 of your classes for 70% of the year...kinda falls onto the "negative" side of that scale.

Oh, was just worried the old files would be non-importable. I'd be surprised if the hooky penalty is so crippling to make a character nonplayable.

Skipping that many classes, though? Normally you have a high chance of detention after skipping classes for two weeks, the bug lets you skip 7 months worth. I honestly hope there's no big penalty, mind, because strangely enough being able to skip so many classes actually makes the game significantly better. For me, at least.

Skipping that many classes, though? Normally you have a high chance of detention after skipping classes for two weeks, the bug lets you skip 7 months worth. I honestly hope there's no big penalty, mind, because strangely enough being able to skip so many classes actually makes the game significantly better. For me, at least.

Well, they've pretty much greenlight going truant during the exam months. Unless my character's absenteeism meter gets too hot I don't think I have a playthrough where I haven't pretty much blown off every class except the exams for those months. Granted, I cool things down for two weeks before those months start. Overall balancing attendance vs. hooky is a bit of guesswork, but I think it's clear designer intent is that running the risk of detention yields the greater rewards in the time management game.

I'm pretty sure I don't have a playthrough where I skipped every afternoon class, but I'm pretty sure almost all of them have a reasonably high absence rate (3-4 classes a week range except during 2 week 'cooldown' periods). Skipping class detention is still pretty arcane to me... I usually take the Background Friendships: Instructor but I have no idea if that "permanent 1% reduction the school will take action against you..." is a normal -1% CoD or not (either way it's still useful to my general playstyle).

I also don't know if the weekend periods count towards a cooling off period for the instructors but I like to activate short term abilities and primary pheme carrying spells on Fridays (for weekend adventuring or selective focus to grind up a multi SS skill) and it just seems from my perspective that when I have a character on the detention radar they get snagged more often if I skip on a Monday or Tuesday. I also like to build up a high relationship score with the entire faculty since I'm reasonably sure that does affect CoD... just not sure it affects skipping classes. I does feel like I skip more classes scot-free towards the end of the year (when most if not all of the prof relationship scores are maxed out) then towards the beginning. I don't think I have a completed playthrough without the Page Background...the utility of Elegant Service is hard to pass up especially if you plan on going down a Mastery route.

You shouldn't all be that worried about year 2 consequences.

It will probably give rewards to those who keep going to classes than punishing the skippers which is what detention/hall is already supposed to do anyway.

That game will not be realesed any times soon anyway.

It was already mentioned that usually you start year 2 with a clean record unless you overdid it in year 1.

I personal suspect its only the hall sessions that continue to be remembered in year 2 but that's to be seen when year 2 get out.

For the mentioned bonus you need a absolute perfect attendance not even a single day class can be missing not trough sickness or other reasons.

It was already mentioned that usually you start year 2 with a clean record unless you overdid it in year 1.

I personal suspect its only the hall sessions that continue to be remembered in year 2 but that's to be seen when year 2 get out.

For the mentioned bonus you need a absolute perfect attendance not even a single day class can be missing not trough sickness or other reasons.

Joana & Philippe thus ensure that large numbers of students lose out on the bonus :rolleyes:

I'm abusing the DLC 16 bug too, but even without it I'd recommend taking a 2-week "perfect student" break every time you start to get detentions to avoid hall sessions as that appears to reset the chance of detention down to zero.

Personally I suspect that a better strategy than skipping alternate classes would be to skip on alternate 2-week blocks to get the reset-to-zero counter going rather than having a continually high absentee count from the alternate-class approach.

IIRC getting three reprimands in one month gets you a Hall session, and getting more detention on top of that...yeah. Note that random events can screw you over and give you detention, particularly early game since you're not likely to be able to avoid those situations. Than again, early game classes are actually surprisingly good, so skipping them isn't really necessary.

Archived