Black Chicken Studios Forums

5 Years Later... Still No Year 2?

The13thRonin

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we don't get a real official answer on this.

But I extend a post from freespace today that put pretty good together what we know about the current BCS plans for this year

1. Scheherazade Steam release

2. New Kickstarter for a side project (maybe even before 1)

3. Year 1 Steam release

4. Release of the Secret KS project

5. DLC 17 if it isn't included with the steam stuff

6. Y1 save converter beta + debugging if necessary

7. Holdfast 2 Kickstarter (not exactly sure when but its planed for this year)

8. Maybe a Kickstarter for Year 2 Graphics (probably even before 4 or 5)

9. Release of Holdfast 2

10. Year two! (some time in the 'Sixt' year of our exile.) (Ha! The wit!)

Given the speed of BCS I suspect this is more the workload of 2-3 years

Hmm, does the team have a save converter already? Personally I think that even an initial release of one would go a long way to quell our discontent and it would be nice to know that one already exists even if not in a form that is releasable.

I'm kinda getting the impression it'll take about a year or more for a release as it has already been close to finished for quite some time. How long before it's finished will a date be set anyhow? Feel free to reveal it'll definitely be released this year. :)

I'd really just like a few screenshots or something if the layout is mostly done, maybe a shot of a couple students to show how they look, as a teaser.

Good to read on these things, to know what the team is working on. I hope Scheherazade and Holdfast were successful financially and we will se eventually Academagia Y2. If it comes with updated UI or graphics it could be more accessible to new players too. (I hope for Ars Magica too!)

These niche games need a different marketing, but I hope that the team knows its job very well. ;)

Until then I play with Failbetter Games' Fallen London and Sunless Sea, I love narrative games, I could imagine an Academagia setting in Storynexus too, they have fairly similar mechanics, maybe BCS wants to make a browser game in the future. :)

Free;

No, the save converter is not yet complete- that will be publicly tested.

Dream;

It will be announced as soon as the Team is confident on hitting a date, I believe. There may be an art related Kickstarter, for animations, in which case it would be announced then. I've asked for teasers, and they have agreed, when they consider it final.

Drakov;

Fallen London is so much fun, we agree!

• 3 weeks later...

What would the save converter transfer to a new save?

Completed Adventures and events? How we completed them or at least the exit choices?

Stats I assume, including those that we can't see.

Familiar information.

How much of a difference will it make if we completed our familiars Adventures, and spend at least the minimal amount of time required?

I got characters that pretty much ignored their familiar and others that went out of their way to perfect them.

My most extreme familiar beats most NPC students in several subjects, not everything of course, but it's really impressive. Took a lot of timeslots though. A more even approach is probably best though. But I really wanted to figure out how best to level a Familiar. Training skills that awarded atribute increases helped speed up training. Lend stats also helped once they became available.

I hope we get some stuff soon :) This is my favourite BCS game.

One more thought, when your character completes an adventure or event they tend to gain a stat increase or skill or a trinket sometimes more than one thing. Shouldn't the familiar be able to gain a skill or a similar award when doing the familiar adventures? The Hawk has an extensive adventure where the wizard isn't involved unless it asks the wizard for help casting an Astrology spell. Or maybe it gained a skill point but I missed it in the daily report..

Maybe, familiar events that can popup? Might be harder given the amount of different familiars I guess.

• 2 months later...

1. Scheherazade Steam release

2. New Kickstarter for a side project (maybe even before 1)

3. Year 1 Steam release

4. Release of the Secret KS project

5. DLC 17 if it isn't included with the steam stuff

6. Y1 save converter beta + debugging if necessary

7. Holdfast 2 Kickstarter (not exactly sure when but its planed for this year)

8. Maybe a Kickstarter for Year 2 Graphics (probably even before 4 or 5)

9. Release of Holdfast 2

10. Year two! (some time in the 'Sixt' year of our exile.)

Step 1 was finished just a vew days back now just the other 8 steps till we hopeful hold year 2 in our hands ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I suppose it's a bit too late to ask, but are those really necessary anyway? I don't think a lack of achievements will detract from the gameplay, and if it does than perhaps one should find a less...how to phrase this politely...new-age audience? Not sure if that's even a word but it's the best I can come up with.

I don't mind achievements but I grew up on classic 8 bit games and so find things like achievements stupid.

Although I do genuinely want a safe way to continue to download Y1, which is why I support the efforts to move to steam, I am really mostly in the wait for Y2. I think I might even wait until I play Y2 before deciding to make a new Y1 char.

Fun fact: I got my main PC online again after forever, but it has been a chore reinstalling stuff.

I Had saves from Y1 saved everywhere and am busy consolidating them so I know where they are when the save converter comes out. Especially annoying is that my laptop had its hdd full with crap that now has to be archived in the cavernous hdds of my main PC so I can download more stuff on my laptop if my PC goes down again..

A shift of over 100GB of files.. Aiyayai

The game wasn't originally designed for Achievements of that kind. So I can imagine.

I'm also old enough to find Achievements to be a funny new notion. I don't mind them, but I'm not sure it adds anything for me.

I'm sure Steam wants it though, since it's become a commonplace thing.

Kind of like game from the 70's and 80's being unsalable unless they could present a highscore.

I think Achievements are silly. The only time I've liked them is recently, when Pillars of Eternity came out and only Backers can get 100%. The amount of butt hurt and whining on the Steam forums was laughable. People were threatening to not buy the game or to try and get a refund simply cause they couldn't get 100%.

I don't know if achievements can be added after a game is released/sold on Steam (and whether it won't make it harder to do so), but if so it's probably worthwhile to focus on getting the game ready before the achievements, since the latter will never happen without the former anyway. That would likely result in achievements not registering until after they're officially added, but if that's what primarily draws in the Steam market I'd say the initial exercise was doomed to failure anyway.

I liked the achivements in star trek Online where I completed a mission under a certain time limit or without dying and respawning and got an achivement.

It's not like I gave it a lot of thought, but it did tell me I did something somewhat good. Kind of like recognition for doing better than the game required off you.

I like the differentiation between accomplishing something and doing it well.

Kind of like the difference between a Success and a Critical Success! (If that makes any sense)

You don't just pass the test or task, but you pass with distinction. etz...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if achievements can be added after a game is released/sold on Steam (and whether it won't make it harder to do so), but if so it's probably worthwhile to focus on getting the game ready before the achievements, since the latter will never happen without the former anyway. That would likely result in achievements not registering until after they're officially added, but if that's what primarily draws in the Steam market I'd say the initial exercise was doomed to failure anyway.

You can add achievements after launch for sure - and there have been cases on Steam where they are effectively retroactive as well. Now as to if that is harder to code or not, I don't know.

Archived