Black Chicken Studios Forums

"Overly Enthusiastic"

ArcticuKitsu

Space Quest, if we're going retro. My friend enjoyed that game and has nostalgic memories of it: http://store.steampowered.com/app/10110/

-----------

Alright, I guess I'm gradually inching closer to the negative feedback side of things because I can't play the game. I have no choice but to cave into people's well thought out frustrations & criticisms about the game, and others. Can't boot it up with no fixes in the experimental beta patch line. I can't argue against the complaints because it's well thought out, well placed, and such that this just proves why playing games is just a major hassle when nothing wants to work because things aren't as they are, and why I'm happy with KanColle & hopefully with Victory Belles when it comes out.

But I guess I'm just an idiot, falsely intelligent, & etc (as people claim) because games can't be properly made while having too many chains attached to them that they're too much of a hassle. I now feel like a hypocrite backtracking (flip-flopping), yet I can't argue against NMS being both awesome & crappy at the same time; With people's well thought out postings. :unsure: [i go with the wind so keep that in mind]

Just to note: My error for No Man's Sky is (oxc000007b) with any fixes leading to fishy sites I'd rather not touch, or hiding in unfamiliar sites. I have to wait for that stuff to be patched, and I can wait because I have trucking games & KanColle event. If I didn't have them then it would have been more of an issue in a more dramatic state.

I guess that's another game I can't play. When you finally get something it's only natural to hype that stuff to god-like status at this point, just like my RCN hype hmm.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, feeling that "gaming frustration" mood again that it's also amusing to note the following:

1) I found myself back in Minecraft playing FTB (Feed The Beast) Inventions while having custom mods added to them. Had to Traincraft on my end, yet my host had to add in Galcticraft into it making it all awesome. It's genuinely fun when you have all the right features, something which should be noted in all seriousness in games. All this while waiting for the likes of 'Rising World' game to mature with these same features of technological advancements, as well as biome related fun. It won't contain space, just heavy realistic survival, something you should also look into #3. I love building a railway for my trains, as well as even flying my zeppelin around to get to places. I love this kind of creativity, and how everything has a worth and value in the world, something a game called 'Rising World' shall have in time. Development and waiting is a pain in the rear, yet I'm trying to be patient.

2) An interesting note was made during Steam altering review rating abuse that comments comes up, being the following: "...that developers should just make great games because we have too many shit games. If you make shit games you'll get shit reviews. Simple as that." .....Which I generalized a bit, yet is the general jist of things. I tried to review a game with it telling me that "you do not own the game", which I clearly do. Such a mess thanks to people abusing things......

3) This should be first, yet '7 Days to Die' was something I got myself into in heavy curiousity thanks to how survival is done in that game. I'm a resource hoarder, and hoarding resources is damn fun in that game. I had to refund 'No Man's Sky' for how it failed on all fronts that I also feel like shit trying to defend it (look at #2). I did try to give No Man's Sky a chance, yet it failed me. It truly failed me. I love the first few zombies, even the moody vibe from it, something which wears off the more you familiarize yourself with the game. I still haven't encountered a Day 7 swarm, yet it's just insanely fun & scary that I give this game my high praise. I love how you have to scavenge for loot, even the "realistic" way you scavenge for resources & build thing. The way you have to upgrade. It feels all natural and right. The game however now suffers on my end that it has no AI partners, or buddies not interested in playing the game that the game simply wears itself out sooner than it should have. The game is built as a co-op game, and it sadly doesn't co-exist properly on my end I simply jumped onto Minecraft. Great game, yet need to do something about the multiplayer part of things,...or some AI companion to tag along.....The fun part of 7D2D also is the whole environmental effects of hot & cold, as well as temperature. You get sick, among other things. It's all nitty-gritty.

4) In response to 'No Man's Sky's' failure my Twitter made me aware of 'Everspace', a new space game. Something being "non-linear story-telling", something I love the most in my choices of games. I hate being cramped that games with linear gameplay feels claustrophobic to me. I need the freedom. [Everspace: https://everspace-game.com/media/]

5) UBOOT also updated, and I'm glad with where that's going. More visual improvements, more interior improvements, as well as being informed how you have to manage your power supplies to hunt convoys & such. How you'll have to disable various machines to deal with various situations. It's going to be a very nitty-gritty game. Next update should mention crew management & submarine pens, yet I'm now highly worried this might not be your "casual" game that it'll punish you at every turn. Silent Hunter 3 could be made casual, even serious, which is making me highly curious if there's a way to make it curious without it insulting you for being a weakling in difficulty mode, as tends to be the case in gamer pride & ego related stuff in difficulty. KanColle players get mocked for going on easy mode during events. :rolleyes: . Even so, I'm loving the features in this game, even the diving for treasure in diving gear of the 1930's. I need to see more of this game.

----------

Yeah.....When I'm happy it's because someone did something right, and VB gained my high praise for adding one Canadian VB Belle & various features, among others (stuff I keep repeating in general). I again feel that seeing as how this is 2016 (going into 2017) that games should be more open, non-linear, and just all about doing as you desire. Basically what KanColle also allows you to do, and seeing similar with Victory Belles how you can switch regions. Anything that's stuck in a linear fashion is stuck behind the times & shouldn't be around.

[Too many edits, yet the basicness of the thoughts out there. Curious how people shall take this, if they're interested to or not.]

Have you ever checked TerraFirmaCraft? It's a minecraft mod that takes the early game of modded Minecraft and stretches it into basically the entire game. End-game in TFC is crafting a bucket capable of vanilla's source-block moving shenanigans, and even than there's two separate buckets for moving water/lava. Definitely not easy to get into, it's complicated as heck, but solo TFC is a different MC experience entirely.

Linear has it's place if the story is rich and game mechanics fun. But rpg's that are linear and don't let you select dialogue are pretty boring (usually why I don't like a lot of jrpgs)

Have you ever checked TerraFirmaCraft? It's a minecraft mod that takes the early game of modded Minecraft and stretches it into basically the entire game. End-game in TFC is crafting a bucket capable of vanilla's source-block moving shenanigans, and even than there's two separate buckets for moving water/lava. Definitely not easy to get into, it's complicated as heck, but solo TFC is a different MC experience entirely.

Yes, long ago. Never did play it because of bigger & better things at the time. Even Pixelmon, Traincraft, PSO2 (until it treated my client as a ghost) and such. Yeah, been hearing it's insanely complicated that a group of buddies in another community voiced their complaints about how rare iron is & how sadistic the mod developer was at the time. I followed Direwolf20 at the time, yet it seem the knowledge & awareness faded over time that I forgot all about it. The way it does things though is truly interesting, even the cave ins.

Thanks for reminding me that mod exists.

Linear has it's place if the story is rich and game mechanics fun. But rpg's that are linear and don't let you select dialogue are pretty boring (usually why I don't like a lot of jrpgs)

Yup. Some (linear) RPGs I'm fine with, yet when it comes to other things it just pokes at my curiousity so hard that I just want to explore things. Once I'm contained to a box or a little path the game becomes so boring that it's not even worth playing anymore. It's just like with Pokemon gameboy games (something I mentioned in detail in the Pokemon GO thread) that once you reach the end there's no point to it anymore. I'm not into the whole PVP Pokemon & Pokemon breeding stuff that it's just "meh" to me. I'd rather keep playing, keep exploring, building, and etc because that's when a game has more life to it.

There are times when linear is done right, yet often times it's done so wrong that it's just a short burst of a gameplay then you're left frustrated you can't play more.

-----------

Also, been made aware that '7 Days to Die' also has its new patch in the experimental branch to test new things within the game. It'll be awhile before I do because it's now going into Minecraft again, as well as KanColle expedition & daily management. Even wanting to play Euro Truck Sim 2 & ATS, yet time is an issue. I still 100% believe games in 2016 (2017+) should be all open ended in some manner as to also future proof itself on that same front. Victory Belles is mostly safe so no complaints there. Just that other games need to get with the modern times & program. This is something which shall be hard for me to think otherwise after being burned heavily by numerous games, and agreeing with the Youtube comments of developers needing to make good games to get good reviews.

Yes, long ago. Never did play it because of bigger & better things at the time. Even Pixelmon, Traincraft, PSO2 (until it treated my client as a ghost) and such. Yeah, been hearing it's insanely complicated that a group of buddies in another community voiced their complaints about how rare iron is & how sadistic the mod developer was at the time. I followed Direwolf20 at the time, yet it seem the knowledge & awareness faded over time that I forgot all about it. The way it does things though is truly interesting, even the cave ins.

Thanks for reminding me that mod exists.

Those issues have been addressed since then I believe, to the extend that they needed to be for the communities that are able to send out literal continent-spanning expeditions in MP. In SP you do everything from farming to forging to mining yourself, so if you're really looking for some particular metal and the nearest deposit you can find is 1KM away you find out a way to deal with it.

Yup. Some (linear) RPGs I'm fine with, yet when it comes to other things it just pokes at my curiousity so hard that I just want to explore things. Once I'm contained to a box or a little path the game becomes so boring that it's not even worth playing anymore. It's just like with Pokemon gameboy games (something I mentioned in detail in the Pokemon GO thread) that once you reach the end there's no point to it anymore. I'm not into the whole PVP Pokemon & Pokemon breeding stuff that it's just "meh" to me. I'd rather keep playing, keep exploring, building, and etc because that's when a game has more life to it.

The lack of a post-game is indeed an issue in the older games ever since the whole "gotta catch 'em all-oh wait, that's now impossible oh well" thing happened...'bout a decade and some change ago, though again, perhaps this is something the randomizer can address. A recent update added the ability to mess with the levels of trainers' mons, from -50% to +50%, so that might do something for making the Elite Four a worthy "end-game" rather than just "railroad station number 23". I've taken a stab at a Leaf Green game with completely random trainer mons with +50% to their level. I ran into bug catcher with a level 10+ Mewtwo in the Viridian Forest, which I actually managed to beat with a Butterfree who I'd call a glass cannon were that not an insult to glass and it's ability to not fall over to a stiff breeze, but soon after I lost hope. The Elite Four, quickly making a new randomized game and checking the log, are going to have levels ranging from...~77-90, and the champion has ~86-95. Lance, to be specific, rolled Aggron (84), Vileplume (81), Castform (81), Raticate (87) and Walrein (90).

The downside of course is that while that certainly makes breeding and stuff have a clear and measurable purpose, it doesn't really do anything other than make it mandatory. To make it easier you'd need an Lua script to auto-decrypt a mon's data blocks and determine it's IVs, but that's something I never managed to do.

Hmm.....Looks like I needed to clear my mind some more that I failed to reply back. Still ticked off over one comment yet I'll hold that back.

I could imagine people making roadways to get at the resources so they could get back to it. Building all those stone roadways, or that would be me doing such to get at them easier. Making simple roadways to get at the rare iron and such. continent-spanning expeditions sound about right for any Minecraft, whether it be vanilla or this hardcore survival, or even 7 Days to Die, or even Rising World. Depending on what vehicles & tools you're given it can be worthwhile. I guess you would have to hang around with the basics, or at least with a skilled friend who knows how to help you in that crazy modpack.

The post-game seems to be an issue in every game, even Minecraft. I guess it's "fixed" with PSO2 in how it's continuously updating, and any high-end MMO (lower end don't do this very well), or some game with total-conversion mods such as Skyrim.

I guess I just wanted to note that I'm enjoying where the game vibe is going now with Battlefield 1, For Honor, and even Forza Horizon 3. Need more of those quality games where it won't end up as Watch Dogs, or as brutal as 'No Man's Sky'. Still feeling the burn on the NMS that it just keeps supporting my cautious side. Having to poke everything with a stick in a manner of poking a bear trap on a leg.....Everything bites, yet enjoying where Battlefield 1, For Honor, & Forza Horizon 3 is going.

And damn, did I ever get a surreal type rush from reading the Dutch interview with De Ryuter by poking at my attempt at putting both Canadian and Dutch Kanmusu in an RPG maker type game. Nearly had it, yet hit a brick wall with the simplicity of the maker. Just...Having Dutch in your fleet just feels so surreal from my amount of research to try and give Tromp a physical game form, as well as having some combat experience, close to the physical appearance style shown in the interview. I can't wait to see HNLMS Tromp as a ghost ship & how BCS shall display Tromp's historical tid-bits, and if she'll have any elements of a "ghost ship".

The three games & this interview showing where games should be going, as well as to hype one up. Damn. This is awesome

I could imagine people making roadways to get at the resources so they could get back to it. Building all those stone roadways, or that would be me doing such to get at them easier. Making simple roadways to get at the rare iron and such. continent-spanning expeditions sound about right for any Minecraft, whether it be vanilla or this hardcore survival, or even 7 Days to Die, or even Rising World. Depending on what vehicles & tools you're given it can be worthwhile. I guess you would have to hang around with the basics, or at least with a skilled friend who knows how to help you in that crazy modpack.

They do, unfortunately roadways aren't really that effective. They do work, running speed is dependant on what kind of block you're standing on in TFC IIRC, but it takes a long time to build it, especially if you're building it solo. And yes, jumping into TFC blind and solo is not a good idea. Playing it solo once you know how it works is one thing, but trying to learn it solo is...a slow process, at best.

The post-game seems to be an issue in every game, even Minecraft. I guess it's "fixed" with PSO2 in how it's continuously updating, and any high-end MMO (lower end don't do this very well), or some game with total-conversion mods such as Skyrim.

Or randomizers ;). Incidentally, I am making progress on getting the best gen 3 'mon experience I can manage to piece together. Recent additions are an LUA script that auto-decrypts IVs/nature/what have you, and the removal of randomizing a mon's base stats. Before the phys/special split in Gen 4 it sadly just doesn't end up working out too well. Also re-allowing trainers to randomly roll legendaries as part of their team to compensate for the scripting, though I'll regret that if champ whatshisface rolled a level 95 Rayquaza with Thick Fat as it's randomized ability. It could happen, already had to deal with a Latias and a Mew. Funnily enough I had a lot more trouble with a Claydol, and also funnily IIRC all three of those were taken down by the same mon - MewtwoBane the Metapod.

Yeah, turns out bugs can be surprisingly beastly early game, even in gen 3, if only they roll get a decent and manage to hit with it. Who knew?

I guess I just wanted to note that I'm enjoying where the game vibe is going now with Battlefield 1, For Honor, and even Forza Horizon 3. Need more of those quality games where it won't end up as Watch Dogs, or as brutal as 'No Man's Sky'. Still feeling the burn on the NMS that it just keeps supporting my cautious side. Having to poke everything with a stick in a manner of poking a bear trap on a leg.....Everything bites, yet enjoying where Battlefield 1, For Honor, & Forza Horizon 3 is going.

"Try before you buy" is a mantra that every modern gamer should follow, especially these days. Good games are out there, it's just a matter of finding them.

Archived