Black Chicken Studios Forums

What got you into warships?

Sinboto Simmons

I'm not even sure if this is the right section or it should be in the other one but here goes (copy from a facebook post I made some time back):

Ok so I was in highshcool, a classmate of mine wanted to go to England and join the royal navy (we're Bermudian in case you didn't recognise the flag) in the end he went to join the navy and I ended up in infantry (lots of people in my family were including my older sister and uncle) I started looking up warships to remember my friend. I got some books from the local library (this is before I had good internet) and one of them was about the battle of Jutland, in the book I came across a ship named 'the grand old lady' a few books later and I found out her name was warspite. This beautiful woman was everywhere, racking up achievements and serving her nation proudly. It was in that moment I knew I wanted to learn and spread knowledge about these ships so I went to college for game design and animation in hopes that one day I can go back to Bermuda and create a studio of my own and create games and documentaries about the royal navy and other navies of the world.

What got you into the subject?

Ahmmm so basically i love war things but i don't really read books and back in college me and friends take ROTC damn ask my self then dude why u join this hahahahaha after I graduate i enroll in to arts school to be a Graphic artist ..... Ps cute girl and mech are my thing and yeah drawing is one of my hobby.

Thanks to YouTube recommendation i see this game

I guess it started with my father.

He died when I was a kid, but he had TONS of books. They were mainly about railways, as that was his greatest passions, but there were several about other things, and a few were about battleships.

One day, I began reading one of them... and it all went downhill from then on. :rolleyes:

I've always been more interested in the Army than the Navy due to my grandfather being a rifleman in North Africa. However, my uncle was a submariner during the Cold War in the Royal Navy, and I've had some interest in the navy around Nelson's time. My love of World War II warships came through watching the episode of "Dogfights" where they covered the sinking of the Bismarck. Seeing HMS Hood and finding out about her, really got my English pride going and into World War II ships. Kancolle got me even more into it, as did World of Warships

I've always been fascinated by military history and hardware. My old man was in the USAF for over 20 years and is one of those "walking encyclopedia" type people (he's seriously a bloody genius, I'm incredibly jealous of his ability to pull out a fact sheet from his head about whatever is in front of him). He's also 1/2 Japanese, so I've also had exposure to the anime subculture and enjoy it very much. I became aware of this, as many before me did, thanks to GaijinGoomba over on youtube, and jumped at the chance to back something that combined two of my interests so well. So, why don't I play KanColle? ... Dunno? I really like getting in on ground floor so I don't feel like I have to play catch-up, I suppose.

Looking way back, i can probably blame the movie Topgun for getting me enamored with fighterjets, which eventually spread to a general fascination with military equipment. Most of what i know about warships is thanks to kantai collection getting me started looking up histories. As a techie i love big machines like ships, though representing them as cute girls didn't hurt i'm sure. I'm also reading Arpreggio of Blue Steel on Crunchyroll, though that doesn't really have much to do with the real ship histories; it's more of a fun naval sci-fi story.

I was always interested in Wolrd war II stories. At first it was about the individual soldiers and great battles, but when I got into the game World of Tanks, I began to look more into the technical aspects. I read all about tanks, every one I could find, and tried to learn as much as I could. Eventually, I began to come across stories of great Naval battles and ships, and I kept seeing the same ship names pop up in them. Hence I started researching those specific ships, finding stories of their sailors, and of the greatest ships. It just spiraled from there. Eventually I got into aircraft as well, and at this point I'm studying history in college.

For me, It started consciously interested in the ships through the purchase of the first book encyclopedia of battleships, cruisers and aircraft carriers. Later became a regular guest at the nearby library for the a nautical theme section. The two best books were and are on the Polish navy and initiated interest include: Flota Białego Orła - Fleet of White Eagle - Edmund Kosiarz over 700 page book and Wielkie Dni Małej Floty - Great Days of the Small Fleet - Jerzy Peterk two books, which were created on documents and relations Polish sailors during World War II. And so I started to be interested in other discussions World War II and listen to the memories of grandfathers and uncle about World War II. After some time, I became a fan of military anime and manga.

A slight interest was sparked when I kept hearing about Bismarck & Tirpitz on the History Channel from the 2003 till 2006 mark that I gave Tirptiz the higher respect than Bismarck for her struggles. Even around then It was mostly about U-Boats that I love Das Boot movie, treating it as the best submarine war movie ever which in itself spawned 'UBOOT' game on Kickstarter. Silent Hunter 3 was a fun one that I loved to play it whenever I could (I should go back playing it).

The real spark is with the Japanese because they love poking at everything in their artistic manner. The Japanese with their KanColle that I stalled a bit, yet when I joined it was during the KanColle anime that I just wanted to know what Kanmusu I was getting, familiarizing myself with them, and seeing how they were stuck in Axis only. Was nice seeing it from the Axis side that it made myself & others wonder if they'd add in Allied units. Sure enough, they added in Iowa on Vita then the game, they then added Commandant Teste & Warspite, and even Saratoga. There was even Arpeggio of Blue Steel nudging me a bit before & during KanColle that I just loved the possibilities & realms being unleashed. Arpeggio hit harder during the KanColle period when I was ramping up my curiousity. I just want to support any warship game as there's a big void of them, more so with 'minor nations' not being just with Canada. I have to support Victory Belles because it's trying to be serious yet it hit a few bumps that has me second guessing. I really do want more warship games.

KanColle & Arpeggio truly make your mind wander in curiousity, even wondering how a possibly Canadian Kanmusu would appear. Not just Canadian, but with Dutch, Russians and etc. How would a Canadian Kanmusu appear in KanColle? WOuld they be seriously done, or would they be stereotypical in some form. What about the dutch. Would they be stereotypically Dutch. Even the Russians. Would they speak Russian, eat sprats, and all that lovely jazz. I really am 100% curious (RPG unit curiousity in KanColle's sense) of seeing HMCS Haida (her sisters), HMCS Ontario, HMCS Uganda (Quebec), The 'Three Princes' being HMCS Prince David, Prince Henry, and Prince David that it brings an interesting element to things, something which is in 'Silent Hunter 3' & "Atlantic Fleet'. I love games that add variety without holding back. I guess even 'Victory at Sea'.

I truly must thank KanColle & Arpeggio (in that order) for introducing me back into the naval world because my school system failed to teach me properly about anything naval war related. I had to do everything via Google searching that I'm just trying to inform myself when others couldn't. Always trying to fill in the void that it also becomes insanely misunderstood & twisted into me being "triggered" when I simply must know. It's like with Dschunks & Historynerd through natural curiousity. When you see a void you also want to fill it. Even Sinboto wanting to make a game studio & such. That's only natural.

I was always a big fan of the sea. Heck! Apparently my first word was "fish," according to my parents :).

When I was younger, I binged a lot on History Channel...back in the day they did history. So I watched copious amounts of Dogfights, Ancient Discoveries, Battle 360, and more. That eventually spawned my love for naval vessels because of all of these documentaries + my big love for the ocean.

Hello & good day everyone, I am new to this forum.

I got into battleships at age of four years old, "Sink the Bismarck" among the first songs I heard with Bismarck the battleship the first ship I heard about thanks to listing to my Grandfather. At the same time my Mother taught me how to read and so I read every book I could find about Bismarck, learned about battleship Yamato as well.

Played the PS2 video games "Naval Ops Warship Gunner", "Pacific Theater of Operations IV" & "Naval Ops Commander" then a decade later became a fan of the manga "Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio" since I like the 'Magical Girl genre" as well as Moe anthropomorphism this series caught my attention and I fell in love with The Bismarck Twins.

I would become a fan of Warship Girls ( I utterly <3 Tirpitz), Kantai Collection (Prinz Eugen is so cute <3 ) and now Victory Belles thanks to belles Admiral Graf Spee (look at her opera gloves & knee-high boots <3 ), Nürnberg (I missed out on funding the kick starter so no early Nürnberg for me T_T ) & Scharnhorst (what a Madame Boss she is <3 ).

@MarshallAidan,

Don't lose hope! It's been confirmed that some time into the release of the game, there will be a chance to acquire all the kickstarter exclusive belles through normal gameplay. However, I can't imagine these missions will be easy, so if you really want that enthusiastic Nazi, you'll have to try your hardest!

@MarshallAidan

Your reason for becoming a fan of victory belles is the noblest reason I can Imagine.

I don't think we need any more Fascists. I have enough on my hands dealing with you and Nel. [imperialism intensifies]

I had a general fascination with WW2 history since I was a young teen, but I was mostly focused on the human side of it. I loved hearing stories about soldiers on the front line or the civilians back home (on both sides of the war). I would have to say as for the WW2 ships themselves, I didn't know many except the really famous ones like Bismarck and Enterprise. It wasn't until I started playing KanColle in early 2014 (again, I barely knew most of these ships from before that, except Yamato and maybe Akagi) that I really started looking into ship history of my favorites.

I did have a grandfather and his brother who served in the Navy during WW2. My grandpa was a CB, while my great-uncle was on the USS Pope (DD-225). The latter was rescued by the Ikazuchi and was stuck in a POW camp on Makassar for 2 years. Any war stories they had was recounted to me from my aunts and mom, as I was very young with my great-uncle died (despite that, he never really talked much about his service) and grandpa died nearly 10 years ago.

On a more cheerful topic, I'm also a big fan of moe anthropomorphism. :)

@ Mig , Ninja : yup, that's one of the awesome things about these rescue stories - how the saved ones can continue their heritage, making a cultural/social development that makes us appreciate the efforts of the past rescue.

As for me, it's more of a personal influence from ships - i live next to a lively harbor (both in trading and tourism), so marine affairs were always a part of my life, though more in conversation than in actual practice because rare were the times i entered a moving ship (5 times in my life so far, i think). With this in mind, my father took me sometimes to watch military ships that were temporarily docked as part of my cultural growth (he works as a doctor on a monthly health visit at the dock). And then there was that millitary ship i visited during my short stay in Manhattan, though i wonder which one since i didn't memorize the name at the time. Perhaps i'll ask my father tonight.

And then Gaijin Goombah led me here, like many others. ^_^

To be honest, i never started as a warship fan. When I was growing up I loved the anime Mobile Suit Gundam. Usually every Gundam series has a warship that all the mechs take off from. Well, every space based mech series has a ship like that. I found the robot designs cool but loved the ships even more. Also in video games I tend to play mages and in a way that is what aircraft carriers feel like. You deploy, deal lots of damage from a distance, and the things you deploy come back. In summary, I think aircraft carriers are pretty amazing. The most famous real world version of those appear in WWII games, so I got into WWII games playing aircraft carriers and kind of got hooked. hahaha. Combine aircraft carriers with moe, and you have games like this that totally grab my attention ^_^.

@MarshallAidan,

Don't lose hope! It's been confirmed that some time into the release of the game, there will be a chance to acquire all the kickstarter exclusive belles through normal gameplay. However, I can't imagine these missions will be easy, so if you really want that enthusiastic Nazi, you'll have to try your hardest!

Aye Aye! I will have to be prepared for when she appears! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkU23m6yX04

@MarshallAidan

Your reason for becoming a fan of victory belles is the noblest reason I can Imagine.

That is quite the compliment, thank you :)

Archived