Black Chicken Studios Forums

The influence behind Victory Belles fashion & make-up?

MarshallAidan

Good day all on this forum.

I have been told that questions about Belles are best directed from this sub-forum and so I created a topic here about my questions about the belles, specifically about how their designs came about.

I am heavily into fashion as well as glamour and pin-up so I have an idea of where a lot of the fashion choices of the Belles came from such as USS Mississippi dress reminding me of a"Southern Belle", Camicia Nera costume reminds me of a modified "black shirt" uniform or how Admiral Graf Spee looks like a glorious (Bavarian?) noblewoman.

However my knowledge about the wild west era is not as strong as my knowledge of warships so I am curious about the design influence of USS Arizona in Victory Belles, her design looks like that of a cowgirl but her make up heavily reminds me of Native American face paint, any American history buffs here that can tell me about her design?

First of all, welcome!

Second of all, I believe Fifrein answered your Arizona question elsewhere, but I'd also point you in the direction of the Belle Interviews that have been going on since the middle of the Kickstarter Campaign...USS Arizona introduced herself to us back in December:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackchickenstudios/victory-belles/posts/1757158

New interviews go up on Fridays (sometimes Thursdays), and from the time a new Belle is introduced until afternoon-ish of Sunday, the Forums (AKA the Captain's Association) get to vote who will be interviewed next. We'll be down to the last 9 Belles that we have both names and faces for on Friday, so I encourage you to join in.

As far as how specifically they get designed, that was covered in great detail in Updates #7 (with Research Lead Krissy Stangarone), #8 (with Lead Character Designer Anh Sawh) and #9 (with the artist, Salmon 88). I'd look there for the answers. :)

Thanks for the info, PG, but I think they were looking for more specific info on influences in certain parts of particular belle designs. Those aren't always covered in the interview, and sometimes require a little digging. For example why Admiral Graf Spee wears glasses. I have two theories on that one, neither confirmed by the developers as of yet. (Although I believe Mahan's glasses are just there to make her seem more scholarly. Purely cosmetic.)

USS Arizona is part Navajo, which is the 2nd largest tribe in the continental United States. They were a semi-nomadic people (hence Arizona's wander lust). The tribe's were also matrilineal with inheritance coming from the Mother side of the family which plays in to her love of the lands of Arizona, essentially she inherited them. In fact she mentions wearing a Tsiiyeel which is a ceremonial hair bun that women are allowed to wear only once they reach womanhood and are allowed to inherit. That's all I have at the moment.

USS Arizona is part Navajo, which is the 2nd largest tribe in the continental United States. They were a semi-nomadic people (hence Arizona's wander lust). The tribe's were also matrilineal with inheritance coming from the Mother side of the family which plays in to her love of the lands of Arizona, essentially she inherited them. In fact she mentions wearing a Tsiiyeel which is a ceremonial hair bun that women are allowed to wear only once they reach womanhood and are allowed to inherit. That's all I have at the moment.

Good stuff Rocky. I'm not very well versed in the native American tribes. I only know a little about the Chumash along the west coast. I am well versed on many of the european belles, particularly some of the ones named after famous people, so if anyone wants to know about those, I'd be glad to help.

Well if glasses were radar, then all ships with radar would have glasses, and that's simply not the case. My main theory is simply that after her sinking, her main rangefinder was salvaged and put on display in Montevideo. It makes the idea that her vision was impaired, and therefore glasses. The other option is actually related to radar though, and it's that since she was the first ship in the Kriegsmarine to be equipped with a radar set, Spee does have glasses to signify that. It doesn't make as much sense as the first theory though.

Archived