Black Chicken Studios Forums

Useful Spells

Cyx

In my latest playthrough, I've found that I rarely actually cast any Spells - there are the obvious exceptions, stuff like Cleanse and Remake and 6th Finger, but almost everyone knows about those.

One issue is the sheer volume of spells you learn as you go along. The spell menu itself is difficult to navigate, there's no option to sort spells by what they do and, well, they often do quite similar things. Once you have found your dueling spell, for example, you can just about discard a good twenty other spells.

That last one is not inherently bad of course - in fact, I quite the idea of magic as a vast thing, with multiple approaches to pretty much every problem, but combined with the other factors I mentioned, it means that I don't actually have a very firm grasp of the contents of the grimoires I build in each playthrough.

So what spells stand out, are worth casting? Or just extremely neat, that's fine too.

Cleanse & Remake definitely fits the bill. It's extremely powerful, though it requires some planning or investment to obtain in the early game, where it has the most impact. If you manage that however, you're pretty pretty much set. All Adventures are possible, really, everything is.

6th Finger unless DLC 17 changed things, this spell breaks exam scores. It is an enchantment based spell that buffs enchantment, basically a Von Neumann machine of magic. You just need to stack on whatever Phemes you like.

Master is reprehensible, outlawed, extremely difficult to actually cast and effectively supplanted by stuff like Hypnotize or that one Calligraphy thing. Once you have the Spell, however, its effects are immense. Giving you nine timeslots in exchange for the one you needed to cast it, it drastically lengthens your year. Just... leave your morals at the door.

The Familiar's Gift is not to be confused with The Gift of the Familiar. The latter is something worse than Mastery and should be banned for all time, the former is an amazingly useful Spell that is effectively Cleanse & Remake, just for your loyal buddy. Somewhat difficult to acquire, but definitely worth it.

Obviously, these are standout examples, but I'm curious as to what other spells you actually use. Metis mentioned a spell that gives you rerolls, which sounds very interesting, for example. An honorary mention goes to Calculate the Familiar Equation, which is not actually a Spell but deserves more recognition anyway.

The problem is that apart from some stat boosts, there isn't much reward for casting them. No description for how well you cast or amazed witnesses.

Also, It's just preference but I like arm brace over 6th finger.

I usual only use From Nothing Knowledge or Revision of Skills as Pheme carrier for the exam.

The 2nd only if I still have a adventure open where under normal circumstances I wouldn't make the roll and

the 1st because of the chance to get 2 SS in random skills so that the slot still aid my skill training.

Archived