Black Chicken Studios Forums

Game

thezooqueen

I wonder how much you thought this out. It baffles me with how much we have talked about comparisons between this game, kancolle (the most popular of the three by far) and warship girls, that you could still believe we don't know about the others. The idea behind this game is that the games in the east, Kancolle and Warship Girls, are inaccessible generally to a western audience because of region locking, culture differences, etc. Victory belles intends to promote this genre in historical context in a setting accessible to everyone. They've done a fantastic job of making the game unique and fun in its own ways, completely setting it apart from the other two.

TL;DR, It's not a bad thing to take a good idea and run with it in a new and unique way.

Oh well, as long as you enjoy it. :rolleyes: Not many people can come up with original ideas these days anyway.

There's nothing new under the Sun as the saying goes. However there is enough in Victory Belles that make it unique.

Kancolle didn't have the original idea for shipgirls either, as there are images of shipgirls that predate KanColle by nearly a decade.

But yes, BCS has enough fresh ideas in Victory Belles that will make it stand out from the others.

We should at least accuse Victory Belles of copying the originator of the specific trend. Anthropomorphism of warships itself is older than writing. Sailors have been feminizing their ships for a very, very long time.

So if we skip past the actual concept of ship girls, which is thousands of years old in it's origins, we should then look at game play. KanColle is a WW2 ship girls skin over a normal auto battler. I've also heard it described as a form of card collector, which I suppose makes some sense. There isn't extensive strategy, and while there's equipment, I don't have the heart to call them RPG elements. I haven't played warship girls near as much as KanColle but I don't recall it being particularly different.

Victory Belles on the other hand, is bringing a significantly more complex and historically relevant combat engine, with detailed stages that allow you to do more than line your ships up and hope RNG-sama holds favor for you today.

This is in addition to actual plot. The main story, the national missions, and missions and VN style story for the individual Belles themselves. All of the individual Belles. VN elements and an actual overarching story alone are more than enough to differentiate Victory Belles as a unique out crop of this particular sub genre if we look at things objectively.

Let's be honest alot of people already know that, we supported VB bc it has a certain flair and interesting ideas that makes us want to support it.

The idea behind this game is that the games in the east, Kancolle and Warship Girls, are inaccessible generally to a western audience because of region locking, culture differences, etc.

Basically the region locking is why I only played two seconds of Kancolle, decided it was not worth the effort for the account and browser add-on, and stopped playing. Only other anthropomorphized military waifu game I have is on my smartphone is PanzerWaltz and it cannot hold a match to the art design/character/certainly story that VB is and will be.

VB actually has USS Arizona, a ship of which neither Kancolle(Iowa and Saratoga, that's about it) or Warship Girls (Practically includes every other US Battleship EXCEPT Arizona and her sister ship) so there is one kind of difference between VB and the other games. Then again, the sheer fact VB has an equal distribution of Belles from each Nation when possible is a massive difference in itself where Kancolle is primarily Japanese with a handful of US/German/UK/Italy warships and Warship girls does better with more inclusion of other nations, yet still leaves a good amount of ships out (Arizona).

In terms of similarity to VB JP Belles the Japanese Belles look AWESOME compared to their Kancolle Schoolgirl counterparts with some practically looking like older versions (i.e. Nenohi and Kitakami <- albeit personality 180 for Kitakami) and others more historically accurate (Kongou built earlier than Nagato, therefore, Nagato looks younger than Kongou). Others look entirely different (Fubuki, Kumano, I-8, Chiyoda, and Hiryu).

I never read the OP, but based on the responses I can intuit the contents. There was a great anthology written many yarens ago by Spider Robinson called "Melancholy Elephants". The point of these stories was that all creators stand on the shoulders of giants. To go further, it argued that indefinite copyright laws stifle creativity. Imagine if Shakespeare's descendants still had copyright over Romeo and Juliet. Do you realize all the amazing (and, okay, some not so amazing) stories that would have been stillborn? West Side Story, anyone? Look at all the great stories that have started emerging from the wellspring of E.F.Baum's The Wizard of Oz since the copyright expired. Wicked, anyone?

So yes, we all stand on the shoulders of the giants before us. Most literature of the Western Tradition owes itself to the Heroes Journey which goes back in writing at least as far as Gilgamesh, and who knows how much further in oral tradition. Star Wars broke so many molds when it literally burst onto the screen in 1977. But it essentially regurgitates Gilgamesh.

I, for one, embrace new takes on old ideas. Without them, our library shelves would be quite barren...

I should add, there's a minor appearance of a character from Scheherazade in Victory Belles- and there was serious discussion about having an alternate outfit for [redacted] which used Sadie's clothing. :)

Thanks, Legate. Now I need to raid my VB research fund and buy a license... :P

Basically the region locking is why I only played two seconds of Kancolle, decided it was not worth the effort for the account and browser add-on, and stopped playing. Only other anthropomorphized military waifu game I have is on my smartphone is PanzerWaltz and it cannot hold a match to the art design/character/certainly story that VB is and will be.

VB actually has USS Arizona, a ship of which neither Kancolle(Iowa and Saratoga, that's about it) or Warship Girls (Practically includes every other US Battleship EXCEPT Arizona and her sister ship) so there is one kind of difference between VB and the other games. Then again, the sheer fact VB has an equal distribution of Belles from each Nation when possible is a massive difference in itself where Kancolle is primarily Japanese with a handful of US/German/UK/Italy warships and Warship girls does better with more inclusion of other nations, yet still leaves a good amount of ships out (Arizona).

In terms of similarity to VB JP Belles the Japanese Belles look AWESOME compared to their Kancolle Schoolgirl counterparts with some practically looking like older versions (i.e. Nenohi and Kitakami <- albeit personality 180 for Kitakami) and others more historically accurate (Kongou built earlier than Nagato, therefore, Nagato looks younger than Kongou). Others look entirely different (Fubuki, Kumano, I-8, Chiyoda, and Hiryu).

I kinda agree. It seems that VB (in terms of design) is going farther than Kancolle in regards to overall look and historical references.

We'll have to still see about gameplay, but I hope for the best with this team! After all, this could really help BCS reach the big-top!

Archived