Nel Celestine

Update 64: Leberecht Maass

33 posts in this topic

Regarding where it crosses the line from a cute gimmick to "pledge to protect cute clumsy baby"... hmm that's tough since most extreme examples of a cute klutz character i know of are in moe anime where that's pretty much their job. I want to say that the difference would be competence. Here Maass is very unlucky but otherwise seems to have herself in order, even predicting what might go wrong (though even so it doesn't seem to work out). A straight up pander character would be totally hopeless. Still, it's a narrow line to walk.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would argue that the line comes from if the clumsiness comes with a purpose. Maas has the personality of someone who accepts that bad stuff happens to her but never lets that stop her. Just as often as she fails she comes back from it. She gotten to the point she could rebuild destroyed glass vases and have them come out more beautiful than the original vase. In most clumsy moe there is nothing gained from their clumsiness other than being cute.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, PizzaRocket said:

Regarding where it crosses the line from a cute gimmick to "pledge to protect cute clumsy baby"... hmm that's tough since most extreme examples of a cute klutz character i know of are in moe anime where that's pretty much their job. I want to say that the difference would be competence. Here Maass is very unlucky but otherwise seems to have herself in order, even predicting what might go wrong (though even so it doesn't seem to work out). A straight up pander character would be totally hopeless. Still, it's a narrow line to walk.

That's what I think as well.  Maass doesn't come across as completely helpless - she just has freak accidents from time to time (like a slapstick character).  That being said, she's somewhat aware that stuff tends to happen around her and is a bit self-depreciating about it. 

She's not a klutz who isn't aware that stuff catches on fire around her.  She seems to realize it...and kinda accepts that while also trying to improve her situation somewhat.  If anything, I could say that she's more of a Chew Toy than anything moe-ish.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Polish sources during the fight with the Polish ships Leberecht Maass got hit one bullet in anti-aircraft and destroyed them on the the minelayer Gryf.  Seven Polish sailors were killed. Then Leberecht Maass was hit.

For damage, who suffered damage to Leberecht Maass are also recognized ORP Gryf and the coast defense battery at Hel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.5.2017 at 1:07 AM, Procyon said:

That's what I think as well.  Maass doesn't come across as completely helpless - she just has freak accidents from time to time (like a slapstick character).  That being said, she's somewhat aware that stuff tends to happen around her and is a bit self-depreciating about it. 

She's not a klutz who isn't aware that stuff catches on fire around her.  She seems to realize it...and kinda accepts that while also trying to improve her situation somewhat.  If anything, I could say that she's more of a Chew Toy than anything moe-ish.

I second that opinion and would like to add something.

Lebi is very much capable, since she's a fine german destroyer. But she probably is a bit insecure about herself because of her bad luck and her being a 1934 destroyer, compared to Hanna and Dietra who are 1936ers. So she cutens up to attract more captains. Nothing wrong with that. I guess the combat heels (des Todes. Natürlich.) are on purpose so yavuz would probably be received as a old, annoying hag if DYM gets serious with her plan. Lebi is no child, respect her choices. She's a fully grown belle and in combat probably only slightly less capable than Hanna and Dietra. BUT you have to watch out much more around her, because stuff will happen to her otherwise.

I just assume Lebi is as capable as she is cute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Annoying old hag' is as good a description as any for women drill instructors at Parris Island, but thier training will save your life if you end up in the line of fire. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DrYuriMom said:

'Annoying old hag' is as good a description as any for women drill instructors at Parris Island, but thier training will save your life if you end up in the line of fire. :-)

Poor US Marines, but they probably don't know it any other way. My female drill sergeant was very strict but very cool at the same time. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Female soldiers, especially in infantry, tend to be harasses in general at least in my experience.  

 

Except for my friend Nina, how that lightning charged woman got into the army is anyone's guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now