Black Chicken Studios Forums

Academagia's Development during 2017

Rhialto

I hope that I am not violating a rule here with this topic. But I would like to ask questions about Academagia's 2017 development. Feel free to answer those of them that you will, and reprimand me if any of my questions are improper.

1. Was the release on Steam a commercially successful move in terms of increasing sales, improving the game's profile among consumers, improving the code?

2. I read in the thread about the Modbase that there will be another content update later this year. What sort of content will it contain?

3. I read also in the thread about the modbase that the new modbase will be released in late Summer 2017, after the new content patch. What will the benefits be to modders and non-modders of this new modbase? Will the new modbase be a key step in releasing Y2?

4. I have read rumours that Y2 will be released some time during 2017. Is this still a likely occurrence?

5. Roughly what stage in making Y2 is Black Chicken Studios on? is story content still being written? features still being coded in? is it now a matter of bug-fixing only? etc.

I have great faith in Black Chicken Studios, but hope that the answers that they may release will increase my faith and the faith of others.

2) From what I understand it this will contain fixes for the existing content

3) The last mod base is from DLC 15 and so is missing all the additions of DLC 16 and 17 and theoretical can be used for a fan patch of the official content. (or when we get our hand on the year 2 mod tools probably to make mod based on DLC 17 instead of Version 1.0)

Rhialto;

1) Certainly! It's always a good thing to have new players.

4) The Team hasn't given a date, but as soon as they do, it will be announced here.

5) Story writing is complete, although there's some editing left to do. There is still some coding and testing, and the art must be finalized.

Hope that helps!

Legate: Ah, how temptingly terrible the final editing always is. Terrible because you know that you are done and then discover bone-headed errors; Tempting because you so keenly want to release your product but must wait until the editing is finished.

So... Am I to take from this that the UI is mostly done now? (was all the work done on DLC 17 and the steam release duplicated for Y2's UI?)

Does this mean that a late 2017 release is not totally out of the question? We've been tacking years on for a while now, it would be lovely to not have to do that again....

• 4 weeks later...

Can you give us a percentage? Based on previous reports, the UI was supposed to be the main thing holding Y2 back...

And when the day comes that you will be willing to show screenies of Y2, will you finally give us the class list, too!?

• 1 month later...

Is there even the slightest slim hope that we can get Y2 this year? I just don't understand how come it's taken so long with so little revealed! :(

Can you at least elaborate on the difficulty you've had over these years? I know as well as the rest of us folks who've been waiting that the original plan was Y2's release somewhere around a year after Y1's release, and that's about the time that work on Y1 slowed down considerably.

Even then, though, it was believed by you that Y2 was somewhere 'just around the corner' as evidenced by my now infamous old sigi. 4 projects have been anounced since Y1's release, with 3 of them successful, yet the info we've gotten is sooo little. I'm sure you want to keep things a secret as much as possible, and rightly so for avoiding spoilers, but surely there must be other things you can talk about besides the game itself, right?

...Right? :(

3 minutes ago, freespace2dotcom said:

Is there even the slightest slim hope that we can get Y2 this year? I just don't understand how come it's taken so long with so little revealed! :(

I believe the answer to that is "Steam version" and (to a lesser extend) "Victory Belles". Yes, VB mostly has it's own Team, some aspects are shared IIRC.

The aspects that are shared were mostly PR stuff like trailer creation, And art, I suppose. I have a feeling that most of the art is either finished or else at least not bottlenecking the rest of the work that needs to be done, but then who knows? I sure don't... :(

I know we're not getting Y2 this year. I know that....

It's just I want to be an optimist, *sigh* That's why I keep getting disappointed.

• 1 month later...

Archived