Black Chicken Studios Forums

Princess Maker 2

I thought I'd make a small mention of this, apparently there's a re-release of Princess Maker 2 on Steam.

As most of you may or may not know, the English DOS version that anyone played waaay back in the day was a 99% complete beta that never saw an official release.

This Steam version is a completed and refined version which not only has a modern, more accurate translation, but keeps the Japanese audio, and though I haven't played the game in forever, It looks cleaner and has a different soundtrack than my memory says existed back in the day.

Check it out!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/523000/Princess_Maker_2_Refine/

About a year, apparently. I don't browse Steam,  I found this by watching ending videos and noticing comments.

Still, it was news to me and since We hadn't mentioned it, and given its influence on Academagia.. I had to say something.

• 1 month later...

I've only played #2, but I would say that yes, that game is worth picking up. Especially this remastered version. The others I suspect would be good also, but I've got other things to save for at the moment.

• 3 months later...

Oooh, hope you don't mind if I make a mention on this, as a resident occasional lurker/ big Princess Maker fan. As in, "owns all of the Princess Maker games in the Japanese, and used to emulate Japanese Windows XP machines on her Windows 10 machine to play them."

There are 5 Princess Maker mainline games in total, and Princess Maker 1, Princess Maker 2, and Princess Maker 3 have been translated to English and released on Steam. The English translations for Princess Maker 4 and Princess Maker 5 were originally announced with the ones for 1-3,are still in development. The translating company is Korean, and the English translation is rather...Engrishy. I'd give it on the level of a mid-90's game level, think like Castlevania or Final Fantasy Tactics for the Playstation 1.  To give an example, the latest update patch came with the announcement:

"Again, we'd like to express the deep appreciation to all of you, PM 3 fans affections and patience. With the latest patch, you would experience following enhancements.
*More explicit English font style implementation for PM 3 *Word wrapping text issue resolution Meanwhile, your suggestions receiving from Forum and e-mails are well being collected right on end."

So, it's understandable, but still Engrishy. I've gotta give props to the team for not being great at English (they are released all 5 of the games on Steam for Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and English), but still listening to fan feedback and making corrections for all language.

Now, the games, however, are incredibly solid, and get better as the series goes on. Princess Maker 5  was released in 2008, and I think you could hold it up with a lot of modern life sim games released even today.

Archived