Black Chicken Studios Forums

Update 65- Verdun

RockyArby

6d9292d6e3e4bc2f0ec17ae2c18b91a1_origina

With the latest update of Victory Belles Kickstarter we have been introduced to the French Destroyer Verdun, who makes the trip across the Atlantic to help Commemorate a special someone on this Memorial Day. Also, the monthly update is included! Please post your thoughts!

I love the somber tone honoring those who have fallen.  The addition of USS Olympia really nailed it for me.  Verdun is a great Belle, but I don't think she's going to be a part of me fleet.  Even still, this was one of the best interviews BCS has done.  I also love the insight they gave into a belle's relation to their namesake.  I see a lot of US Belles, especially the carriers, who would have similar knowledge and similar feelings.

I agree completely! I had my doubts (i figured she would be the ultimate French Patriot but the worn soldier psyche really made her stand out and seem like a good fit for the Memorial Day Interview.

Vive la liberté

Nice interview, very touching and appropriate for the day (to us in the USA, at any rate).

25 minutes ago, Ninjapacman said:

I love the somber tone honoring those who have fallen.  The addition of USS Olympia really nailed it for me.  Verdun is a great Belle, but I don't think she's going to be a part of me fleet.  Even still, this was one of the best interviews BCS has done.  I also love the insight they gave into a belle's relation to their namesake.  I see a lot of US Belles, especially the carriers, who would have similar knowledge and similar feelings.

Aren't we glad we voted for her. :-)

I did not vote for her, but I am quite happy that she was the interview today.  That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that BCS skipped two weeks of potential interviews to set this one up.

I found her rather interesting, more so considering her views on war and soldiers and my own WWI Vet of a character. I think the two share rather similar views

Beautiful design, especially the blue uniform in reference to the French soldiers of WW1 (...or as they call it in the game Verdun - "shoot me blue" :P). 

Besides that, I kinda appreciated that Verdun was serious, partly because I usually like the more serious Belles over the goofier ones.  If anything, her weary attitude about war remind me of the Lost Generation in literature, especially somebody like the shell-shocked Ernest Hemingway. 

I hope everybody had a blessed Memorial Day - whether you know of a veteran or are a veteran yourself. 

On a less serious note, Verdun reminded me of this gem :)

EDIT: Wait!  I have a lore question.  Verdun and Mahan were laying a wreath down for the USS Olympia.  Is Olympia dead?  Can Belles actually die? O_O

I'm really liking the effects for the battles. You've definitely polished up the hit and miss effects. I'm guessing courage will be an important stat for getting your ships to stay in brawl range. Also the crits will likely be nasty. Can't wait for public release!

*is sad I didn't find out till after the main Kickstarter was done.*

1 hour ago, Procyon said:

EDIT: Wait!  I have a lore question.  Verdun and Mahan were laying a wreath down for the USS Olympia.  Is Olympia dead?  Can Belles actually die? O_O

Olympia isn't dead, just decommissioned and a museum.  She doesn't have a Belle, but then there are far more ships in '39 who don't have Belles than the 100+ who do, so she's not alone.

Do you hear that, Verdun? For a moment, the wind… it sounded like an old melody I know.

An Irving Berlin song, I’m sure. Oh, what were the words?

If Washington were living today
With sword in hand he'd stand up and say
For Your country and my country

How did it end? I hate it when lyrics escape me.

I'll do it all over again :blink:

...Dun, dun duuuuun!

14 minutes ago, Panay's Ghost said:

Olympia isn't dead, just decommissioned and a museum.  She doesn't have a Belle, but then there are far more ships in '39 who don't have Belles than the 100+ who do, so she's not alone.

I'll do it all over again :blink:

...Dun, dun duuuuun!

This is an interesting bit of lore then.  Who determined which ships had Belles in canon? O_O

...the worst would be? Of course I mind Fräulein Mahan.

But to Verdun. Very melancholic ship. Also Verdun...... nevermind. If I come across her, I will treat her with respect. Thus I will spare you all my cocky remarks I could make about the interview.

To honor the dead americans and Verdun somehow alike:

The german "memorial day" is Volkstrauertag (Volksmourningday), two sundays before the first Adventsunday. We honour the dead of war and oppression. The last sunday before Advent is Totensonntag (Sunday of the dead) where we honour our dead who died in peaceful times. Also end of christian churchyear for the religious ones of you. Just in case you were interested.

BCS has determined 133 ships with active Belles in 1939, three of those in collaboration with a few of the more generous KickStarter folks. It has been alluded to many time, though, that ships without active Belles may still have Belles, but they are sleeping. I've learned not to read too much into some sections of the interviews and I think this is one of those. Olympia may not be dead so much as in the deepest slumber you can imagine. The wreath may not be so much for Olympia as for the dead she honored. To date all the interviews take place on water so they couldn't exactly go to the Tomb of the Unknown at Arlington no matter how close to the Potomac it might be. Olympia was an extremely cool stand in for such a visit. Or so I interpret things. 

7 minutes ago, DrYuriMom said:

BCS has determined 133 ships with active Belles in 1939, three of those in collaboration with a few of the more generous KickStarter folks. It has been alluded to many time, though, that ships without active Belles may still have Belles, but they are sleeping. I've learned not to read too much into some sections of the interviews and I think this is one of those. Olympia may not be dead so much as in the deepest slumber you can imagine. The wreath may not be so much for Olympia as for the dead she honored. To date all the interviews take place on water so they couldn't exactly go to the Tomb of the Unknown at Arlington no matter how close to the Potomac it might be. Olympia was an extremely cool stand in for such a visit. Or so I interpret things. 

Yuri's right.  The interviews are known to be for the most part Non-Canon.  They help give a good insight into the girls, and are usually very fun, but none of the girls will have any memory of them in game.  As it is though, BCS has done a wonderful job of keeping them interesting and constantly bettering them so that I've kept interest in a game I can't even play far longer than I usually keep interest for games I do play.  Since it seems to be a trend, I'll post a song that fits the interview as well.  This one covers the more somber side of things though...

Read the interview late last night and I love her personality she has the independent attitude that I fell I needed a belle like her on my fleet I wonder if her and Mahan are close allies?

And maybe she has a few voice lines with Mahan for like support convos?

11 minutes ago, datupsmash88 said:

Read the interview late last night and I love her personality she has the independent attitude that I fell I needed a belle like her on my fleet 

Maybe you like to be the first captain to step forward to publicly pledge yourself to the french fleet as a starter? Or did I miss anyone?

2 minutes ago, Admiral Korky said:

Maybe you like to be the first captain to step forward to publicly pledge yourself to the french fleet as a starter? Or did I miss anyone?

I'm planning to start of the game with US ships Mahan Stewart Boise just to name a few ships but if do manage to get a hold of other ships to play as I will have the other bells on a different roster

4 hours ago, Ninjapacman said:

Yuri's right.  The interviews are known to be for the most part Non-Canon.  They help give a good insight into the girls, and are usually very fun, but none of the girls will have any memory of them in game.  As it is though, BCS has done a wonderful job of keeping them interesting and constantly bettering them so that I've kept interest in a game I can't even play far longer than I usually keep interest for games I do play.  Since it seems to be a trend, I'll post a song that fits the interview as well.  This one covers the more somber side of things though...

Reveal hidden contents

9 hours ago, Admiral Korky said:

...the worst would be? Of course I mind Fräulein Mahan.

But to Verdun. Very melancholic ship. Also Verdun...... nevermind. If I come across her, I will treat her with respect. Thus I will spare you all my cocky remarks I could make about the interview.

Reveal hidden contents

To honor the dead americans and Verdun somehow alike:

Reveal hidden contents

The german "memorial day" is Volkstrauertag (Volksmourningday), two sundays before the first Adventsunday. We honour the dead of war and oppression. The last sunday before Advent is Totensonntag (Sunday of the dead) where we honour our dead who died in peaceful times. Also end of christian churchyear for the religious ones of you. Just in case you were interested.

Man...you both posted serious music and I'm a derp that posted something from Battlefield 1 :P.

Definitely appreciated Verdun's weariness of war setting her apart. The nod to memorial day was also very nice.

I wish I could say more, but I'm getting distracted by this fun dynamic between our interview captain and Mahan. I know these interviews aren't cannon, but the duo have been through so much together at this point you can't help being close after all that. I'd be supportive of these characters getting their own official spin-off, perhaps in the 4koma style, but with the captain being a regular character as opposed to Kancolle's typically absent admiral.

6_Monument_allemand_1915_cimetiere_Saint

The German memorial of Sédan erected for their fallen soldiers of 1870 still stands today, having survived both World Wars. I wish more people would show the same kind of respect to the French soldiers who fell during WW2.

Verdun will be a mandatory ship for me. Thank you for including her, may we never forget her sacrifices...

• 1 month later...

Since today marks the 103rd anniversary of the Urkathastrophe I resurrect Verdun with two things as content.
The picture reads: "For that reason europe!"; "Voilà pourquoi europe!"; "Dlatego Europa!"
The video should explain itself.

Spoiler

20170629_115945.thumb.jpg.c20b06dc53a4be7efa2c592f1f923c30.jpg

Spoiler

Archived