Black Chicken Studios Forums

Aranaz is the Hardest College for Me to Play

Rhialto

So, I have been trying to play an Aranaz student who gets involved in the college-exclusive adventures, but I am having major difficulty with this because Aranaz's core skills are Finesse and Intelligence yet so many of the college's adventures require charm-based rolls or subskills. Early access to Selective focus is only getting my character so far. So many of the adventures that I come upon that are associated with Aranaz very rapidly reach red or purple options. So, does anyone have any advice for how to set up a character and play a successful Aranaz student completing Aranaz adventures?

I would just save the college adventures until you are a few months in,once you get your stats up a bit and random boosts to skills it should be easier.  Otherwise you need to have someone with the right skillset join your clique.  It will be a little harder than colleges with softer adventures but should be do-able.

Those are equal or less than signs - meaning that I did the adventure with conceal 26 (on a straight ability+skill roll) and the option was blue for example.  The actual difficulties might be much less.  Since I don't have the modbase the only way I could estimate difficulty of rolls was by noting the colour I had and comparing that to a flat roll.

And of course it might be half ability+skill, and so on.

Ah, right, let me check it real quick...those thresholds are exactly right, although I see that I missed the fact that the Negation Spells v. 20 check is just an investigation which opens up a Negation v. 20 option. So, yes, brutal rolls there. If you manage to get to that stage and don't have Conceal/Brew/Negation trained I'd highly suggest burning a Clique member.

Actually, that's another bit of advice - get a big Clique and don't be afraid to burn 'em.

Why is it assumed that Emilia Picotti is an OOC clique member for an Aranaz student? If she were a Durand student, I would agree, but as an Avila?

Really, from a roleplaying perspective, the only non-durand students whom I would see an Aranaz student not accepting outright would be Philippe and Joana (for obvious reasons) and Louise (too bitter, unpredictable, hot-tempered).

Out of College, not Out of Character. I suppose CC, Cross-College, would be a less confusing term, but I like having a ton of things be abbreviated as OOC.

Mind you, an Aranaz student played straight would probably be no one's actual friend. "Beware Courtesy" and all.

Archived