Black Chicken Studios Forums

Production Update #6: Beta No Go!

Legate of Mineta

Captains, this time no Beta Candidate vote was held, as the client has still not completed transformation.

Production Update #6: No Go

The forecasts for the Backend Transformation have proven entirely wrong, and we're back in the teeth of the storm again!

This month, the Team completed testing and remediation efforts on the complete gameflow from the Region selection to entry to Battle, including Campaign, Fleet Selection and Weather, but many more areas remain undone, including Battle itself. Additionally, the Team has expanded by three, in order to provide immediate expertise on specific problems we're facing.

Before any Beta Candidate can be prepared, all of these will need to be tested and any defects remediated. At the current speed, it's believed that no Beta Candidate could be prepared until October, at the earliest. Let's hope that forecast is wrong, too, Captain! *Ahem* In a positive direction, of course.

The Team will continue to hold these updates for general interest and visbility, and the next review will take place mid-September.

Well it's nice that more team members have been added. But could we get a KS update that goes more in depth into the issues and what's being done to solve them. Also what they plan to work on and where the october eta comes from? it feels like it's been a while since there was an update discussing all the technical stuff the team was working on and it would be nice if we could get another one for more transparency. 

First off I want to state that this KickStarter who threw in enough to play any KS Belle I want is totally and completely confident this game will be awesome when it comes out. As I said rather vociferously on Discord, I have no doubts whatever in the eventual quality once the technical kinks are works out.

None.

That said, I can see the doubts rising and I'd like to suggest those die hard captains like me work harder to keep these forums more active. I take partial responsibility for that and will do my best to make up for prior laziness. If the Naval College can work so hard, then I must do my part too!

Finally, I would encourage the College to help keep things lively by resuming weekly activities that involve captain participation and hopefully discussion. The lore and Belle duo conversations kinda fell off. Maybe some more interviews?  If we had weekly releases it would help keep enthusiasm alive. 

DYM;

We don't have any doubts either. :)

In the background, we're noodling on other ways to encourage participation, although right now it's all hands on deck and everyone appreciates the slower pace. We're thinking about it, though. ;)

Z-chan;

It's possible, but it's more probable that you'll see a demo once a proper end to end gameflow is tested. Right now, everyone on the Team has to focus on the problems they can solve, and the feeling is we want to stay focused on finishing the transformation.

I understand how you feel, though. :)

Otherwise, thanks everyone! I'll relay the wishes on!

I heartily agree with Dr.YuriMom.  I have put money into this game, that while tiny, was my entire life savings at the time.  Even still I'm perfectly confident that this game will not just meet, but exceed my expectations for it once it gets released.  As one of the writers who has fallen off his duties of late, I'm certain I should get back in and assist in making these forums live once more.  I also would love to see more interaction from the team, as that has been one of the major drawing points for me on this game over other kickstarters.  It's always massively refreshing to see the developers making effort to connect with their player base and supporters.

Legate, 

As indicated above the discussion has been... fiery... on the discord but I compiled some of the big things that got talked about in hopes it might be useful for you guys as you work on new content and consider new moves for customer engagement. 

The following that shook out seem to be the major points
-More detail on what's going on. To paraphrase. ""Still replacing backend" for a whole month of work seems lacking to me." Personally I can't say I disagree as we get later in the dev cycle, but I know how that works, especially regarding development details. So in general a desire for an in depth technical update as expressed up thread. On the plus side, having a passionate fan base who actually cares about stuff like that as opposed to just griping might be a refreshing change of pace?

-More game content plz. Specifically said it doesn't have to be final or anything close to it, doesn't have to be prettily edited or require Mahan to come in and do some voice over either. 

Connected to that questions about mechanics, such as how the affection system functions. (Personally I'd like to know more about that one too. I have an aircraft carrier to seduce and a gentleman must be fully prepared for such efforts!) 

People are also looking for more on character stories and the slice of life stuff for when you're not battling the Boche... wait. Wrong war. Munching the Morgana? I'll have to work on that. More of an idea of how it works maybe? Seems like that's connected to the affection system. Like say, can I invite Arc Royal up for music and and an apertif (British ships still had booze allowed aboard, god save the Royal Navy.) whenever? Set conversation lines during "normal" game play with events that pop up at certain affection gates? Or seasonal things of course. Then there's always the harem route question which may as well be staked in the heart one way or another already. ;)

That's some of the more concrete stuff flying around any way.

I'd also like to note as someone with money down, not only do I have full confidence in the team, I'd throw /more/ money you guy's way. Hell I even asked about it via the KS email system a month or two back. 

Unfortunately unlike Cat and Pac, I can't promise to be more active on the forums or in running more writing projects. Real life has to come first after all, and just messing around on discord can eat up a lot of time. 

TH;

Oh, we know about the desire! We're gamers, too. :)

But the essence of it is that we don't want to prepare the next proper Update until we're out of the woods. That rate fell waaaayyyy short of what we expected.

As far as what, specifically, about the Backend is being worked on- well, I'm not technical, but it's the complete gamut of things you might expect when you take an entirely new Backend and graft it on to an existing Front End. Necessary, as it happens, but painful. ;)

There will be more Updates, of course. But first, but *first*...1938. :)

19 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

But first, but *first*...1938. :)

I see what you did there..... :ph34r: 
For everyone else: Guess what you call it if you try to fix a front-end and a back-end together. Or if you try to put a client up for the run and deliver it to costumers (not as dead on as the first example but a valuable option). 

And now for some true comments:

20 hours ago, DrYuriMom said:

That said, I can see the doubts rising and I'd like to suggest those die hard captains like me work harder to keep these forums more active. I take partial responsibility for that and will do my best to make up for prior laziness. If the Naval College can work so hard, then I must do my part too!

19 hours ago, TwoHeavens said:

As indicated above the discussion has been... fiery... on the discord [...]

Ever since I found out about the discord channel I wonder how much discussion and activity is drawn away from this forum.

@Legate: Until Beta-update 5 your information was...felt.... more. What happened? 

Well in any case I patiently wait for october now. Snce I did not put any money in it, yet, I don't fell there is anything else for me to do.
But DYM has a point, when she requests some "entertainment" to keep up the interest. And if I remember correctly the writer team bragged a bit about being finished or at least ahead of the other teams? So, yeah some fun and information would be healthy. Or are they still doublechecking all nouns in german for capitalization? ;)

KK;

My information? Hmmm, what do you mean?

The Writing Team is almost wound down, apart from a few Assignments which are lingering. It's Editing now, primarily.

Edit: Oh, I see- you're asking if the Writers can write more for the Updates? I guess I think that's already happening, no? Isn't that what the last two Updates were (not to mention the coming one!) ;)

1 hour ago, Legate of Mineta said:

KK;

My information? Hmmm, what do you mean?

The Writing Team is almost wound down, apart from a few Assignments which are lingering. It's Editing now, primarily.

Edit: Oh, I see- you're asking if the Writers can write more for the Updates? I guess I think that's already happening, no? Isn't that what the last two Updates were (not to mention the coming one!) ;)

Your information about production updates. But that was probably my imagination. They were always about the same size. And smaller updates are probably better because you always report things that need fixing. ^_^

They write more frequent? Once per week was the old rythm as well and now you people take one week off from updates. Don't make me count lines.
And yes, as metioned I wait eagerly for the "surprise" update. If it's good, all is forgiven, forever. ;)

11 hours ago, Käpt'n Korky said:

Ever since I found out about the discord channel I wonder how much discussion and activity is drawn away from this forum.

Very little I'd imagine, it's a very different format/communication style for one.

On 17.8.2017 at 4:02 AM, TwoHeavens said:

People are also looking for more on character stories and the slice of life stuff for when you're not battling the Boche...

Bon, beau, boche. B)

11 hours ago, TwoHeavens said:

Very little I'd imagine, it's a very different format/communication style for one.

Your imagination seems disproven by yourself. You brought a lot of discussion material to the table out of the discord chats, no?

Out of one chat specifically related to the subject with significant editing and redrafting required. My original intent was to collect people's thoughts and send it in as an email, but as the forum post was active I figured I'd take advantage of the activity. Gathering that information via forum post would have taken ages as opposed to being able to discuss it live with the people who wished to contribute. So it did indeed make useful content... out of a fair bit of effort. It's like saying because one has cheese one should have no problem producing butter. 

Most of the chats on the discord wouldn't fit the format of the forums. Most chats on a forum wouldn't fit an IM channel. Different animals entirely to my perspective. 

Archived