Black Chicken Studios Forums

Other eras that could work with a Victory Belles-style game?

Procyon

I thought this would be a fun topic since we all love naval things...and Victory Belles.  It's usually obvious to choose World War II since there is a rich variety of ships...and there were many epic battles fought in that era.  However, do you guys think other eras could get the Victory Belles treatment? 

I can go first.

Age of Sail / Napoleonic Wars - Lots of naval battles were fought during this period, whether it be against pirates or enemy armadas.  There are even some famous ships that people could latch onto...like HMS Victory and USS Constitution.  Like World War II, there are a rich variety of Belles that could be created from all the different navies that were active during the era...including famous pirate vessels like Queen Anne's Revenge.

World War I - There weren't many naval battles fought during this era (except maybe for Jutland), but there are a lot of ships that people could choose.  There are also a few famous ships during this era, including HMS Iron Duke and Emden. 

Cold War (60s to 70s) - Since the Cold War spanned a long stretch of time, I thought the 60s and 70s might be the best for a Victory Belles treatment because that's when two big events happened - the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Vietnam War.  There are also a few WW2 ships that are around during this time since they participated in the Vietnam War.  This is a bit off-beat since no big naval conflict happened during this era, but I think the Cold War could have some possibility with all the NATO vs Warsaw Pact navies fighting it out (or fighting against the Morganas together). 

Do you think it's feasible to do other eras?  Do you have other eras that might be suited for the Victory Belles treatment?  It's just a fun exercise in brainstorming...while we wait for Victory Belles to get started.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Procyon said:

I thought this would be a fun topic since we all love naval things...and Victory Belles.  It's usually obvious to choose World War II since there is a rich variety of ships...and there were many epic battles fought in that era.  However, do you guys think other eras could get the Victory Belles treatment? 

I can go first.

Age of Sail / Napoleonic Wars - Lots of naval battles were fought during this period, whether it be against pirates or enemy armadas.  There are even some famous ships that people could latch onto...like HMS Victory and USS Constitution.  Like World War II, there are a rich variety of Belles that could be created from all the different navies that were active during the era...including famous pirate vessels like Queen Anne's Revenge.

World War I - There weren't many naval battles fought during this era (except maybe for Jutland), but there are a lot of ships that people could choose.  There are also a few famous ships during this era, including HMS Iron Duke and Emden. 

Cold War (60s to 70s) - Since the Cold War spanned a long stretch of time, I thought the 60s and 70s might be the best for a Victory Belles treatment because that's when two big events happened - the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Vietnam War.  There are also a few WW2 ships that are around during this time since they participated in the Vietnam War.  This is a bit off-beat since no big naval conflict happened during this era, but I think the Cold War could have some possibility with all the NATO vs Warsaw Pact navies fighting it out (or fighting against the Morganas together). 

Do you think it's feasible to do other eras?  Do you have other eras that might be suited for the Victory Belles treatment?  It's just a fun exercise in brainstorming...while we wait for Victory Belles to get started.

Thanks!

I did ask the team a while back about the future. Cold war era belles are a distinct possibility beyond that or as I call them space belles are unlikely.

as for sail ships victory and constitution are technically aloud in the current game the rest I doubt will be in unless an expansion pack is added

2 hours ago, lazarusdw said:

I did ask the team a while back about the future. Cold war era belles are a distinct possibility beyond that or as I call them space belles are unlikely.

as for sail ships victory and constitution are technically aloud in the current game the rest I doubt will be in unless an expansion pack is added

Of course, some of the latter WW2 ships (like the Clevelands, Iowas, and Essex) did serve in the Cold War.

For my question, I was thinking of a game just dedicated to these eras.  It is all in jest though since it's an exercise in brainstorming.  It's not meant for the current VB game.

I think the age of sail would easily be able to be used in such a setting.  Sailors were far more superstitious of their ships back then, so it would make even more sense, not to mention the intensity of battles.  Many nations had great and powerful ships that were household names, and would make fantastic belles.  Any of the US's First 6 ships, or the Royal Navy's HMS Victorious would have worked.  Ships back then were built to last for decades, so many had quite the rich history, and even some from different periods in the age of sail existed together in the same time due to the general longevity of service.

1 hour ago, Ninjapacman said:

I think the age of sail would easily be able to be used in such a setting.  Sailors were far more superstitious of their ships back then, so it would make even more sense, not to mention the intensity of battles.  Many nations had great and powerful ships that were household names, and would make fantastic belles.  Any of the US's First 6 ships, or the Royal Navy's HMS Victorious would have worked.  Ships back then were built to last for decades, so many had quite the rich history, and even some from different periods in the age of sail existed together in the same time due to the general longevity of service.

HMS Victory*

9 hours ago, Ninjapacman said:

Definitely could be interesting.  Even the Morgana-like enemies could be represented by phantom ships or sea creatures, which could allow for a lot of high-seas adventure.

2 hours ago, Wellington99 said:

There's your problem. Should be tea, not coffee

You seem to forget that I live in glorious America, where I am free to drink coffee when I want.  The only tea I make is in Boston harbor.

Heck, even the post-industrial pre-Great War era would be interesting. You've got all sorts of large naval conflicts with major technological and doctrinal advancements like the American Civil War or the Russo-Japanese War.

40 minutes ago, Dschuncks said:

Heck, even the post-industrial pre-Great War era would be interesting. You've got all sorts of large naval conflicts with major technological and doctrinal advancements like the American Civil War or the Russo-Japanese War.

That could be interesting since there were a lot of strange designs from that era, ranging from wooden ships with steam-power to ironclads.

Some of those monitors were horrifying to look at.  They'd certainly make some unique belles though. With a lack of IRL service history, we'd have to go off their namesake, by which there's plenty to use save for with the Brits.

9 hours ago, Ninjapacman said:

Some of those monitors were horrifying to look at.  They'd certainly make some unique belles though. With a lack of IRL service history, we'd have to go off their namesake, by which there's plenty to use save for with the Brits.

The monitors did look ugly, but they would definitely be fun.  Unfortunately, that era didn't have a lot of ship-to-ship combat a la the Age of Sail.

Interesting fact: The English did use two monitors to fight in WW2: HMS Erebus and HMS Terror. 

Something to note about the age of sail is that a lot of the combat was done via boarding actions by sailors or marines.  It would be interesting to see how such a fight would play out with Morganas.  Would Morganas manifest their own sailors to fight, and belles magically enhance their human crews similar to belle carriers boosting their complement of planes, turning it into a magic-fueled superpower brawl?

1 hour ago, Ninjapacman said:

Something to note about the age of sail is that a lot of the combat was done via boarding actions by sailors or marines.  It would be interesting to see how such a fight would play out with Morganas.  Would Morganas manifest their own sailors to fight, and belles magically enhance their human crews similar to belle carriers boosting their complement of planes, turning it into a magic-fueled superpower brawl?

Maybe Morganas could have zombie pirate crews...or spectral ghosts a la Pirates of the Caribbean.  The Belles have their own human crews, so they could be enhanced or reinforced by the Belle.

If anything, it would be like the game Dynasty Warrior with the Belles acting as the hero / officer units.

That sounds pretty interesting.  A Morgana and a belle both fighting with Human crews.  The belle does her best to make sure every crewman survives, but the Morgana throws them at her like the red army, knowing that if she wins she can replace the losses with the captured from her newest conquest.  

Chock one more on to stories I want to write but don't have time for...

I wonder what the Belles for USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia would be like. My guess is Monitor might be the world's flattest loli with the turret on her head like a hat

On 9/7/2017 at 7:19 AM, Ninjapacman said:

That sounds pretty interesting.  A Morgana and a belle both fighting with Human crews.  The belle does her best to make sure every crewman survives, but the Morgana throws them at her like the red army, knowing that if she wins she can replace the losses with the captured from her newest conquest.  

Chock one more on to stories I want to write but don't have time for...

That makes the Morganas the true pirates of the sea.  Maybe they could be named after famous pirate ships like Queen Anne's Revenge, Fancy, etc.

Archived