Black Chicken Studios Forums

KS Updates 81 - on Rank

von_Lipstig

I didn't know belles got paid, although, that would explain a few things we've seen in the interviews. Do belles need to eat? Bathe? Are they physical manifestations or flesh and blood?

Everyone's reaction to the sudden appearance of the belles is pretty hilarious but also quite touching in the way that their crews just accepted them, except perhaps for the ones that tried to shuffle them off in lifeboats or to safety below decks XD. Well, chivalry was still around back then. In fact, some of my favourite stories of chivalry and are from WW 2.

Very interesting how the whole race issue was raised. I had been wondering about that. Britain is better than most of the major powers at the time I'd say, but the British have always had a superiority complex. At the same time, it also creates another narrative to the conflict. About how superficial human appearances really are. There are plenty of dark-skinned British belles, but that's due to their namesakes. They were built in Britain the same as the other ships and so technically, they are as British as any other British ship, regardless of the Belle's appearance. While this might not have the same dramatic effect on the British as it might have on other nations, I think it's a good example and worth thinking about. For all we know, it could cause large social shakeups, especially in Canada with all the tribal-themed destroyers, and especially the Tribal-class themselves. Maybe the aboriginal veterans will finally get the respect and acknowledgement they deserve.

The concept of a belle having rank is a bit funny to me, although given the nature of most military bureaucracies it's not surprising. Like ships though, I imagine a belle's rank depends on the position of her captain in the fleet. Just like an admiral has a flag captain, the flagship (or flag belle) might also have some authority, at least among the other belles in a fleet. This means that a belle's seniority might be more important when an admiral or commodore chooses a flagship compared to real life where it was often the newest, most powerful, or most prestigious ship in a fleet (AFAIK). There will also be squadron and division leaders. These roles could change quite frequently.

I found this update rather interesting on the lore of the world, although I’d assume that more than a few sailors, especially the older ones would think “bad luck to have a woman aboard.”

I also found it amusing that belles get paid.  I suppose support for their myriad hobbies can be incentive to stay with whatever navy pays them.

They're as human as they want to be. Some probably get hungry and tired just like humans while others eat sociably and are up 24/7 without need of sleep. I'm sure that there's plenty who want to seem as human as they can be so that no one is freaking out that she's not eaten in a month.

Does raise a question about if you can get Belles drunk

43 minutes ago, Wellington99 said:

They're as human as they want to be. Some probably get hungry and tired just like humans while others eat sociably and are up 24/7 without need of sleep. I'm sure that there's plenty who want to seem as human as they can be so that no one is freaking out that she's not eaten in a month.

They only take part in human things by their own choosing (outside of rest). So the question is less "Can you get a Belle drunk?" and more along the lines "Does the Belle want to be drunk?", I can imagine belles drinking everyone under the table because she chooses not to let alchohol affect her body.

2 hours ago, Wellington99 said:

And why would you even want to know that?

I fear some captains might get rather dangerous ideas...

On 10/20/2017 at 1:58 PM, Wellington99 said:

Wasn't it implied that Kirov drinks to keep that hard-partying nature of hers?

Okay, here we go.

First of all: I really like Belfast delivering those lore question updates. And I'll gladly take some tea and biscuits.

My first question is why Belfast uses a sanscrit reference? If it were Rawa.... but Belfast? What am I missing here? Also I kind of feel it's a hint of some kind.... can anyone enlighten me here?

"Kept" is a good start. But try the "in" without "i". Really just " 'n ". If little me would be from the coast, it would probably be "Käpp'n" btw. And my regional tonguw pronounces Korky as Koaky, just a notice. Hey, she brought it up!

The whole update gave me an immediate idea for a "origin" story, since I started Korkys story in the writers corner way after he already had met his Walküre. It was partly because I couldn't quite figure out how such an event would have happened. But know I think I know under which circumstances he met her and how Korky and his crew responded. But it's too early to write it down.

Okay, second question: Who could the redacted Belle be? Houston is out of the picture, because she was already revealed? Who else could it be? I know I already asked in the discord, but maybe here is the place for some more in depth answer? And as stated on the discord as well I think Churchill was first, too. But who cares.

Can we also please use "bad people" from now on as a chiffre for "ruddy ba..." you know what she wanted to say.....

"....and it almost feels like dumb luck that that hasn't been seriously proposed" It takes a evil german to articulate it first, natürlich. :ph34r:

I'd guess the german navy would ensure there are very little racial issues in the reports, since they will know how to prevent it before it happens. It's an international fleet, but every navy will have its national set of rules for the mission. As the neutrality patrols around spain proved.

Since Korky is a male of his time, I don't know how well he will receive the fact of his ship being paid the same as he is. Plus she gets the much more expensive equipment and repairs for free.... but then, technically, he gets it too.

And I would like to propose the actual rank "Walküre" or "Schiffsdame" (Lady of the ship). "Erster Berater" sounds far too political and also she'll probably have to listen to the first mate, who is "first counselor" of the captain in a sense. We won't want him to be jealous? And it's male. Female form would be "Erste Beraterin". But then there is the issue of "no female ranks in the military" to this day.
"Walküre" would also resonate well with the japanese name since it's a mythological AND fit the nazi/SS ideology pretty well imho. 

Imho there is no german equivalent for "Ma'am" that would really fit. Calling a superior officer "gnädige Frau"..... yeah, but... no. My drill sergeant would have probably sent my ass to hell for it. Depends on the Belle maybe. In the german navy "(Frau) Walküre/Erster Berater" would be the formal address. But only the stiff ones would insist on it.

"...and what the chief engineer tells me...." Oh yeah. I can totally see THAT with Hans Lüdemann and Lampo. The headaches you'll get as a captain to cool your Belle and the Chief engineer down every day.....

And at last I think it might be odd for all Belles to hold the same rank. As stated in the forum and the updates: You can only make your biggest shipclass vessel in the fleet a flagship. So no DD flagship, if you deploy a BB. Am I wrong? But to me that indicates kind of different ranks. But maybe not right from the start. anyhow, just a thought.

Archived