Black Chicken Studios Forums

Introduce Yourself

dingbat91

This is Ranielle, I'm a 23 years old university student in Europe. I study Philosophy in one, and Literature in the other which pretty much takes all my time and means that I spend more time in various libraries than at home. It's not that I'm complaining, I like reading and thinking, this allows me to do both in extreme amounts.

Anyway, I saw Academagia on Rpgwatch news, and I was interested in it almost immediately, fortunately you were selling on impulse and well, here we are. I probably hold the record by buying the game about in 20 seconds after finding out that it exists. And now I'm trying to find out everything secret in it with the obsession only a real bookworm can muster.

hmm.. page two of the introuctions, maybe I should introduce myself too then. ;)

Going with the name Draigh online, am a 28 year old guy from the Netherlands, Amsterdam to be exact. Studying Psychology at the university, after having studied Information Technology (software development, part AI, part Human Computer Interactions, part Games Development). Found the workarea to not really be my style, am currently working with mentally handicapped children instead. :lol:

I have Impulse, was waiting for Elemental: War of Magic. And then I saw this game pop up. Having played Princess Maker and some other simgames, I was curious and interested. Bought it, downloaded it and am now working on the wiki. ;)

Why not throw my two cents in and let everyone else start hunting me down, too.

My handle NightGuard goes back over a decade to a name I picked out for a game, and it's just stuck with me. As mentioned in another thread, I found out about this game on Impulse and picked it up that day, although others certainly went from learning about the game to actually buying it much faster than I did. Currently, I do office work for a living, and spend most of my free time either reading or gaming. Given that Academagia is about equal parts of each, it definitely fits my interests.

I've always had a love for dreaming up and fleshing out worlds, be it the people that live there, the customs, the history... Anything that lets me dream up wild ideas without any real constraints.

And yes, that avi is a chibi version of me, made for me about ten years ago by a good friend. Like my handle, it's stuck.

Hello! It's about time I stopped lurking quite so much.

I'm the voice you hear on the Academagia Intro Tutorial videos. And while the world-building and game engine is all the work of our glorious leader, the Legate, I'm the brain behind the student body and many of the adventure concepts in the game, as well as some of the broad plot strokes for the game.

Currently, my role is more that of cheerleader, though.

I guess it would be polite to introduce myself as well, considering that I've decided to delurk.

I'm originally from a tiny Eastern European country, but I have been living in England for the last 6 years, ever since I came here to study in university. I'm a Philosopher and an Economist by training and am currently working as the latter. I'm also studying for a Masters in Economics part-time, which means that I will have far less time on games when my lectures begin. Which will happen tomorrow. *shudder*

I've been playing computer games (mainly adventure games and RPGs) for pretty much as long as I can remember, and I've always prioritised a good story and game mechanics over graphics. This meant that I was naturally drawn to check Academagia out as soon as I stumbled across a review on Rock, Paper, Shotgun blog. Unsurprisingly, I'm really enjoying the game's complexity and the challenge of figuring out what exactly is going on and how the huge number of pieces of the puzzle fit together. I think that the Wiki for the game is a brilliant idea, so I've started contributing it it as much as time and my humble skills permit...

Right, enough about me.

I guess it would be polite to introduce myself as well, considering that I've decided to delurk.

I'm originally from a tiny Eastern European country, but I have been living in England for the last 6 years, ever since I came here to study in university. I'm a Philosopher and an Economist by training and am currently working as the latter. I'm also studying for a Masters in Economics part-time, which means that I will have far less time on games when my lectures begin. Which will happen tomorrow. *shudder*

I've been playing computer games (mainly adventure games and RPGs) for pretty much as long as I can remember, and I've always prioritised a good story and game mechanics over graphics. This meant that I was naturally drawn to check Academagia out as soon as I stumbled across a review on Rock, Paper, Shotgun blog. Unsurprisingly, I'm really enjoying the game's complexity and the challenge of figuring out what exactly is going on and how the huge number of pieces of the puzzle fit together. I think that the Wiki for the game is a brilliant idea, so I've started contributing it it as much as time and my humble skills permit...

Right, enough about me.

Welcome AdW!

Good luck with your lectures - I actually miss being in college - so enjoy while you can. :)

I'm Housellama, a 30something dabbler in many things. Currently I'm going back to school to finish my psychology degree and hopefully on to grad school after that. I grew up gaming, both role playing and video, and was very active in a number of gaming communities. One of my best friends is actually a writer and game designer who has done work for one of the more well known role playing game publishers. I've had the pleasure of helping her with some of her projects.

I've had computers for as long as I can remember. Started with an Apple II+ and now I have three of my own at home. I started doing computer support in high school, and have been doing that ever since. My first time through school I took a number of programming classes and loved it. My day job is as a IT support tech for one of the largest food companies in the world. Although it's not something I do for a living, chasing bugs and doing qa is something I love doing. I have a thing about systems and learning how they work and making them work better.

I've been somewhat active on the boards, just started on the wiki. Thought I should introduce myself.

Hi! I just discovered Academagia the other day, and I have to say - what a great idea! I'm still getting used to how the game works properly (it's not the simplest game ever) but I think it has so much potential. Most games don't contain enough depth for my taste, so it's great to see something like this! If you need people to help out with future instalments, I'd love to help!

I'm a student in multimedia design with a background in music, commerce and writing, though I'm a bit of a 'Jack Of All Trades' when it comes to creativity. I definitely wouldn't call myself a hardcore gamer, but I love strategy games and especially the life simulation subgenre. Games like this are really hard to find (well, they are for me), so I was so pleased to see this!

Music and songwriting is my speciality and passion, so if you ever want some custom-made music, I'd be happy to help out! I'm also one of those annoying people who loves to give feedback on everything. That's why I'm here - this game provides me with plenty of material to talk about! :P

Might as well give a general hello to all, despite the fact I tend to lurk. Hello!

I would describe myself as a gamer with a wide taste in games playing things ranging from any genre of strategy, adventure, first person shooters, simulations games, and so on. Came across this little gem while looking at what Impulse had in their store after getting Elemental and saw this game had a high popularity rating and since I hadn't played a good simulation game in awhile I gave this a shot and was most pleased with that gamble.

I am currently studying for my masters in pharmacology and when I'm not buried in papers and experiments, I waste my time away staying up late playing games (Too many 2 am nights due to this game...) or role-playing. I suppose there's SOME aspects of a social life in there as well, heh. Not sure what else to say at the moment other than I should probably get back to work.

Hi everyone. Former insurance professional that's gone back to college to get a degree in accounting. Love games and reading for as long as I can remember. We're talking the 8086 computer days no less! I'm a huge fan of text adventures, rich lore, deep character creation, and the more complex the better! While this game has a bit of a learning curve, I was able to get a grasp on how to get ahead pretty easily with only a little bit of save reloading. I came to the forum to see if the bugs or lack of features that resulted in the reloading would be addressed and I'm happy to see that they are. Being able to see the stat categories needed to get out of Detention hell, being bullied after winning a duel, etc. I really hope this game succeeds because I hate an unfinished story. I really hope that we'll see the coming years to graduation come out. I've been telling my friends as much as possible to get this game.

I'll try to do my part to add to the community here. Sometimes the adventure can be even more fun when working with others to tackle a problem. ;)

Salve!

Current law student, life-long sucker both for life sims (Princess Maker 2, Kudos and Kudos 2, etc) and also for overly complicated indie games that are tenderly supported by dedicated developers (Dwarf Fortress, Aurora, and to a bit-less-indie extent, Paradox Interactive's historical games).

Academagia was therefore an excellent selection for me.

Clearly, the game is not perfect, yet, but it already is decently awesome with potential to become thoroughly awesome. I hope that sales and forum activity are enough to make sure the patches come out, the stories continue, and the rest of the years are released.

• 2 weeks later...

Aliquid linguam Romanae in forum dicit. :) (Excuse my grammar.)

Ha. Writing on this thread after...what, fifteen days inactivity? *goes back to check* Nah. Only eleven. :)

Hi there. I'm Solfege, or the Queen Weasel Solfege if you prefer a title. I actually hate solfege and use it as little as possible, really. I can never keep the hand motions down... I'm a current senior in high school, enrolled in AP Computer Science and all that jazz, and I feel really cheated since they changed the curriculum from C++ to Java. Guess that's for the best, though, so that I can learn programming before I dive headfirst into the shallow pool that is C. That's a metaphor I'd rather not try to dig too deep into. My first gaming experience was when I was around two or three years old, probably two, with the games "Mickey's ABC's - A Day At The Fair" and "Mickey's 123's -- The Big Surprise Party". My first programming experience was when I was eleven, changing the values (price, repair, experience) of all of the items and characters in School Tycoon. With this discovery came a feeling of empowerment. So that's why I'm the computer geek I am today. (Bless you, CatDaddy Games, you and your ini files.)

I love Academagia and all of the people who made it (even if I don't know any of them, not even by name), especially the content writers who seem to have nailed my sense of humour in a game perfectly (a week of gameplay takes me a few hours since I read everything, and I freely blame my ADD).

I write/talk too much.

Hiya all, I'm Sheyra.

I'm a big gamer, found Academagia back in August and messed around with it a bit, now I'm coming back to it now that I have a bit more time on my hands. Right now I'm also really into Minecraft, so Academagia provides something a bit different for me. :)

I'm thinking about writing up a story/journal from my student's perspective as I go, but I'm not sure where I should post it. I don't know much about the lore (yet), but I bet it'll still be a fun time as I go.

Hi all! Slightly late with the intro, but here I am: the Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight. (Surf's up, space ponies -- I'M MAKIN' GRAVY WITHOUT THE LUMPS!!!!!)

A very intriguing game this. The only similar one I've played is A-Sharp's "King of Dragon Pass," a bronze-age tribe simulator set in the fantasy world of Glorantha (you may know it as the setting of the pen-and-paper game Runequest/Hero Quest/Hero Wars), which I recommend to anyone who can find a copy.

Hello the forums! I'm a Writer by trade, though I usually list myself as unemployed, as the only thing ever published in my name so far has been poetry. I guess I'm a little quirky online as I'm happiest when I'm known as a random alphanumeric string. Not sure what 'nickname' to offer as an alternative though. Perhaps just 'Z'?

I'm a big fan of 'life sim' and story-oriented type games, and this one quite reminds me of Princess Maker 3. A very good game if you can find the english translated version. I also own King of Dragon Pass. This game is right up my alley! I'm so far quite glad I picked it up and am very much looking forward to when modding tools are released.