Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

I have the feeling that the rewards of Lost Man's Way Adventure 05 are very unbalanced to each other.

Even as gate user I would take the Bracelet any day over Yalton's Blood Vial as the later is only a temporary boost.

Sure the Bracelet of the Second Circle have a CoF for casting Gate Magic but Bracelet are hard to find in year 1 and this give you a lasting + 1 Luck, in case you really want to cast a Gate spell on a day you just have to unequip it.

For my next game I decided to give Study Battles a extra +1 step to a random History SS as I think this action was a bit weak and knowledge in history is something one easy can imagine to get trough the study of battles.

In opposite to the Academy: Safaviore Officer's School I also doubt that History: Famous Campaigners have any effect past what we got in year 1 from the Background.

I'm not sure how well this balance to the other Backgrounds and if the team should make the change as well but I thought I should mention it.

I have the feeling that the rewards of Lost Man's Way Adventure 05 are very unbalanced to each other.
Even as gate user I would take the Bracelet any day over Yalton's Blood Vial as the later is only a temporary boost.
Sure the Bracelet of the Second Circle have a CoF for casting Gate Magic but Bracelet are hard to find in year 1 and this give you a lasting + 1 Luck, in case you really want to cast a Gate spell on a day you just have to unequip it.

I suspect that taking the blood option also has a downside in year 2, whereas taking the other option leaves the 5 tonne boys knowing a mage they can lean on for a favour who is relaxed about Gates magic and recreational pharmaceuticals... which come to think of it could be a mixed blessing. :unsure:

Now then I have some bad news for you all because starting with year 2 you can craft the Negation wand using the normal crafting system if you have the receipt (still would need 3 separate steps beside the shoping).

You will get the receipt trough the import tool if you managed to get it in the adventure but the Negation Wandcrafter Ability is exclusive for year 1.

Also the difficulty should be quite high even for year 2 as you don't get help then.

I guess it could make sense that it helped your magical progression more if you did it early and boosted you ahead of the other students.

It was kind of a challenge and challenges are what makes us evolve. It wouldn't be as much of a challenge when you get older and more experienced.

Vuillarme's adventure has a similar issue in stages 6a to 8a with the black rooster charging you in one stage and you discussing diplomacy with him the next, and I think that seeking perfection in honours has a similar issue in a late stage - sadly I didn't record these properly at the time to specify the latter stages. :(

That said, given the magical item(s) gained from the Mysterious Scholar perhaps it shouldn't be abbreviated - although a separate item for the magical shield device would be nice.

It's been said before but battlemace figurines. This is described as plastic in one RE, which seems unlikely, and as lead in the adventure and elsewhere.

It should be resin, lead, or tin - the pieces are too intricate for wood or bone without magical shaping but resin should be fine.

Yes it's picky, but by my standards barely so (I know, time for a new PM thread before the current one breaks).

I suggest that Y1's engine be made open source, because currently the player is unable to modify the weakest parts of the game, for example: character creation, the UI, the way classes work. Clearly the dev team is supportive of modding, why not release the engine and have the $25 pay for downloading the game assets? Especially since the year 1 engine isn't even going to be used for the next game.

Also, the dev team should consider making a blog about Y2 progress. I'm not saying they should have someone be a full time blogger, but even a monthly post talking about the general progress they're making would be far preferable to just saying "wait and see" to everything, especially since that's been the line used for years now. It would be far less frustrating to wait if the dev team could actually give some indication that progress is being made.