Black Chicken Studios Forums

~ Suggestions & Improvement ~

Hawkey

17 minutes ago, Schwarzbart said:

I think its a missed opportunity if during the selection of the class for year 2 if the students who performed bad in the core class of the college are not told "Either improve a lot this year or better start to look already where you continue your education after this year."

Especial such extrem circumstances I saw in my current game where i.e. Miya from Godina is the only one who failed Music or Carmine and Courtenay both Aranaz failed Calligraphy ... I doubt von Ruprecht will take this in good grace. 

@Rhialto as long she only fail the class she took beside the 3 core class from Durand it only limit the class she can take in the next year but if she fail Botany, Dialectic or Negation then it start to become problematic as the chance is not small that she fall behind even more in year 2.

I really think my Class Fix mod should be put into the game i.e. in my current game not a single student failed Dialectic even if for some it was by less then 1%. Also in other class there at max 3 who failed them (according to the spreadsheet of freespace) and for most class there was no one who failed.

At last I think that would go more along with the reality that no student will drop out from the results of year 1.

Will students from Y1 gain different skills and attributes in Y2 based upon whether the player completes their adventures? To take an extreme example, Ana Flavia's Y1 shtick is that she has been cursed, so she is very cautious in what she does. I imagine that without the curse, she would do many things differently over the summer. Then there are Prudence and Zoe, both of whose quests involve making them more popular/self-confident. These personality changes could also be expected to change what they focus on over the summer. Then there is Miya's initiation into the thieves guild, Magsa's higher grades due to player help, etc... all issues that could be expected to affect what students focus on during the summer.

14 minutes ago, Noite said:

Unlikely Nooo :( it's just a few edits not a full rework of the adventure, i'll do it myself, better yet i'll hire Metis :P
I'm late aren't I? With the sequel around the corner and all that but please do pass along anyway

What, the three new Avila adventures I typed for DLC 17 wasn't enough :rolleyes:?

Once the updated mod base comes out (which is planned for IIRC around fall?) it'll actually be possible to mod out that requirement. It's a bit of a hack-y process, but unless something changes it'll be doable.

Also, "around the corner". Yes, that is exactly the state that Y2 is in. Totally :lol:.

Legate can you ask the team to look at whether CoS/CoF are improperly(?) affecting reference tables? For example, results that are checked AFTER the roll for success or failure. In particular, I'm thinking about the Favor Action, but it might also affect other abilities such as Judge the Instructor's Tastes and Track Comets.

@Metis, well if you have a table set up like so:

0-5% Result #1
6-15% Result #2
16+% Result #3

With a CoS% >5 Result #1 is impossible to achieve. 

In the case of Judge the Instructors tastes, it would mean that with a high enough CoS or CoF it might be impossible to get one or two of the listed skill ups that result from the ability. More practically, it likely reduces the chance of which ever is at the top or bottom of the list. 

Note that I'm talking about reference tables that are not related to the check for success or failure, but rather are used to distribute rewards or penalties with a designed distribution.

Edit: I'm not certain that there is a problem here -- if the tables are structured with "less desirable" results at the lower end and "better" results at the higher end, (to for example allow for characters with better luck getting better results) then it's probably not an issue, but it would be important to make sure that the tables are designed to allow for that or have separate mechanisms for tables that are designed to be affected by luck/CoF/CoS and those that are supposed to provide designated distributions.

Edited by Rydenius
Added another discussion point

Ok, I think that's pretty cool in a lot of ways.

But if it's applied indiscriminately to all reference tables and even the Random [category] types of actions/abilities, I think that might be somewhat undesirable. For example, is that desirable behavior for abilities that reward a "random" skill step from a fixed set of skills such as Study at the Venalicium Library? (Which skills are more desirable? In my mind, the player would certainly prefer a more even distribution -- particularly if a player is trying to unlock a skill or raise an entire skill group.)

It's probably not something to spend much time on for year one (unless it's a quick change), since any changes might introduce bugs, but when thinking of future years, it seems that it would be helpful for content creators to have a boolean toggle in the editor for whether CoS/CoF/etc. should apply to a particular table (or designate a type of table that isn't affected). It could be implemented as a checkbox in the editor and a check in code before applying the modifiers.

In any case, I thought I'd bring it up, because there certainly seem to be cases where skewing the tables is not the intended result by the author.

I think a interesting Steampunk idea could be a steam-engine that is build to wind mobile clockworks.

Edit: usual in steampunk you either have a rigid axle or steam pipes that bring energy to different places but i.e. a steam engine tractor could be used to wind clockwork. (I know about tractor during our steam age that when stopped could power different agricultural devices)

• 3 weeks later...

@Legate of Mineta it looks like you missed my suggestion above ^

With my current game I once again think it would be great if at last the first step of class adventure start automatic maybe when you reached a certain study level in this class.

Edit: I also suggest you replace your Gamersgate link in the signature with a Steam one as Gamersgate appear to have Academagia removed as well.