Black Chicken Studios Forums

And how did you discover Adademagia?

Impet

For me, I found here through Dwarf Fortress, I occasionally peek at the other games talked about on their other games threads.

(From one of our Devs there)

Well, I'll say it again:

Exciting forum. ;)

I dont think I'd have found here for a long time, if ever, otherwise!

Gamersgate to be honest.

Had been doubting to buy the game for a while and finally decided to take the gamble when I had nothing to do and too much money at the end off the month. ;)

One of my finest gambles I might add.

Yet another response of Impulse here. I saw it listed as one of their new releases, was curious by the title, and decided I liked the sound of the game after reading the promo material. I will admit, it wasn't *exactly* what I was expecting, and the learning curve was a bit steep (as the Impulse version was transferred without a copy of the manual), but I've not been one bit disappointed with my purchase.

I found it via the Gamezebo Preview. Since I've stopped playing casual games I don't tend to check Gamezebo that frequently anymore so it was just sheer chance I came across the preview. The moment I looked at it I went "wow that looks just like my sort of game." I kept checking to see if it was released until it was and while the high price point and the lack of a demo did make me think twice about purchasing I bought it anyway.

Gamezebo - saw the review and it looked interesting. Also looked at their forum and was encouraged by the posts to go ahead and trust the developers with my money since no demo. There wasn't much on this forum at the time but it's really hopping now. Just love the game. I am an old timer as you can see from my avatar.

impulse for me i was checking to see new releases waiting for Elemental to come out and this game was suddenly advertised didn't really think about it just bought it as a gamble

gotta say i really like the inmens depth of this game never seen it before (except for dwarf fortress which was impossible to get in to for me).

gotta say i really like the inmens depth of this game never seen it before (except for dwarf fortress which was impossible to get in to for me).

I've seen it once before, in King of Dragon Pass. That's really where you lead a barbarian tribe, but it has a similar concentration on multiple choices, building stats (this time, of a council), selecting from a wide variety of optional activities over time, perusing a great deal of lore, and dealing with hundreds of mini-plots--some of them linked to places, or people, or objects; others random. It's one of my all-time favorite games. This could easily become another.

I've seen it once before, in King of Dragon Pass. That's really where you lead a barbarian tribe, but it has a similar concentration on multiple choices, building stats (this time, of a council), selecting from a wide variety of optional activities over time, perusing a great deal of lore, and dealing with hundreds of mini-plots--some of them linked to places, or people, or objects; others random. It's one of my all-time favorite games. This could easily become another.

Sounds good i'm used to playing totaly different games but this genre really grabs my intrest, also i hope they will continue with this series it's awesome :)

Hmm I have read the article with a lot of interest and I think the writer has a few good points. A few bad ones as well. Even thought me a few things I didn't know.

(they needed 50 writers to make this stuff? Sounds a bit much.)

However I do agree strongly with him on one point and a point I think the creators should take quite seriously;

That the game is rather inaccessible. I think that 9/10 of the average gamers would quite the game before getting even through the first month. There is just so much coming towards you it doesn't invite you to keep playing.

I was on my third character before I finally began to see what gem the game could possibly be. And I am a rather experienced player of these types of games.

However this leaves me debating myself; on one hand I hope the makers continue this way as it will result in the best games. On the other hand if they make the games inaccessible as they are it will be bad for their sales for the years to come.

Even after having played the game through I can't say I really enjoyed it as much as I hoped. Despite having a bit of experience with the game and know how to make the most of my time I still keep running into walls. I know having to make a choice each day is what the game is about, but the game is too big. There is too much to do. Too much to explore. Even if you would do everything perfectly I don't think you could achieve more then 25% of everything that is in the game.

That is even harder for starters. Even with the manuals they are thrown into the game with hardly any information and just need to figure it out for themselves. I mean I lost my sister as the character creation screen. Having options is good, but you simply don't know what it will mean for your character. Is glamour good or bad to have? Is filing or library knowledge useful to have?

They are forced to make decisions without knowing what it will do. I agree with the writer of the article that it will definitely scare a lot of people away from the game who would probably enjoy it if they were eased into it.

Anyway this was not meant as a rant or anything. Just wanted to give my opinion on a subject that has been on my mind a lot and suddenly recognized in an article.

MY question is; how do you feel about it? Were you able to finish a full year with your first or second character? Or did you have to start over several times?

Impulse for me. Lack of a manual made the learning curve interesting but as lover of games that are model systems that a character navigates through, this is a real keeper(there aren't that many games like this and most that are decent simulations are turn based strategy games; this is the only one I've seen on such a micro level that I've liked).