Black Chicken Studios Forums

And how did you discover Adademagia?

Impet

Bobbin Threadbare's Let's Play on the Something Awful forums. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462283

I had heard of the game before but didn't actually check it out and buy it until I saw the beginning of his playthrough.

I also found this game from that same thread. I hadn't heard of it before, but had heard of similar games and was very intrigued.

• 5 months later...

I found it at gamestop impulse.

At first when I looked at it I wasn't sure about it but I remembered that I liked a few text games many years back so I eventualy thought, why not, im bored! :P So I decided to try it out and sure it was fun enough :)

I really like the part of the skill system that's really really massive with a lot of different possibilities.

The entry into the Academagi was a little hash though sicne you were likely to get promted with events that always ended up hurting you badly no matter what you did due to an incredibly low amount of skill at the start of the game. Personaly I think it should have been possible to pick some more schooling before you start a University like education.

then again im guessing students are literate so at least they got some kind of basic education. Or they wouldn't be able to use the library im thinking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

*slaps himself, should have done this earlier*

I discovered Academagia from Hanako games. I'm somewhat friendly with one of the owners of Hanako games and she said that if I like her adventure games (which I do) I would probably love Academagia because the random encounters make it a new experience every time I play it - she was right!!

Even without the random encounter the randomness when you get what skill at class + random skills from certain ability and the randomness who get your friend or in other clique together with the big decisions about backgrounds and starting college and class make this game interesting to play over and over again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, first time I've seen this thread.

I was asked by a friend if I could beta-test a game he was writing, and maybe write a few 'lores' for him. Oddly I didn't play the actual game for a while after, but I've made up for it since.

The lores needed a <lot> of writers, which is where the number of writers (50) mentioned in the early posts probably comes from (although I'm not on the list so maybe not).

Year 2 is legendary not mythic, legends have a root in reality in the odds are high that Yr 1 exists and the developers have spoken of a Yr 2...

• 2 weeks later...

I was on steam looking for simulation games and happened across it. It was on sale and I can't resist sales, especially when the game sounded like something I'd wanted for a long time. I haven't gotten past character creation, but after looking over the forums and such I think I'll love it.

Saw a recommendation posted by someone on one of the Hanako Games discussion forums on Steam back around 2014. The game's $25 price tag was a bit of a turn off at the time, but I eventually gave in and purchased it. The game is definitely worth $25 considering the replay ability and tons of content, but I think the new Steam price is helpful since it moves the game out of competition with Skyrim type titles (and the expectations that comes with such comparisons).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

lazytimes - just gonna c&p this from the wiki:

I stumbled into Academagia because my latest favorite "p&p" RPG is Ars Magica, and I somehow managed to hear about a Kickstarter for Black Chicken's Schism War project - while it was still open! Tragically I was without any funds whatsoever and could not bring myself to impose on my then-fiancee's benevolence any further than I already had been. (It's hot air now of course, but I swear I would have put $1000 towards the project if I could have! I was also embarrassed and annoyed that I didn't even have any social contacts who were fellow fans of ArM - the only people I had ever begun a campaign with (in college) had disappeared from my life before there was even a 4th Edition, let alone 5th...)

I was even too poor to afford Academagia for at least a couple of years after the heartbreaking shortfall of said project, and became distracted by the semi-dreaded Mundane World for a time. Then once I did have a steady income, I began the laborious process of padding my Steam account with hundreds of games that had 'fallen through the cracks' of my awareness/experience over the vagaries of the last two decades or so.

Just after quitting my most recent job and relocating overseas to help family, I was reminded of this beauty during Steam's summer sale. And here I am. Still haven't finished Year 1, as one of my worst gaming weaknesses is addiction to character creation at the expense of serious character development

Cheers!

• 4 months later...

I found Academia after following the quest Polyhistor academy and wanting a video game like it.  Actually I think that Academia could learn alot from Polyhistor academy.  It manages to deal with many of weakness that plague Academia very well.  It manages to avoid the grind by having well defined time skips.  I also increases player investment by actually making the exams matter.  Also the students in Polyhistor are far more incentivised to interact with each other which seems Important in a school simulator.

I know that I being critical, but really it seems to me that Academia is a great game that could use some help.

How much can much can mods effect the game?  I would love to replay Academagia with more Polyhistor themes.  Such as all classes being completely optional, but helpful for the exam and you can get more out of them with more skill.  Also more competition in the school over exam scores.  Students being willing and able to kill over them.