Black Chicken Studios Forums

Portrait Help

ronikai

I've been looking around and I have the general idea of how to edit portraits. However, for some reason my computer doesn't have the proper permissions to change portraits? I've downloaded the mod tool set, but I can't seem to make it work properly either. I didn't want to necro-post anywhere so that's why I'm starting a new post if no one minds. I've edited two portraits, although they're not very good. They're both from Godina. One works well, although I can't change it (because of the permissions) The other one hardly even opens because it's format somehow got jacked up. They're both in the bmp format, and I'm just getting more and more confused with how to change out the portraits, as well as edit them properly. I'm an amateur with editing and drawing, but I've graduated from the lvl of "stick figures". I've tried Gimp, but that doesn't work on my computer, and photoshop is really expensive! So far I've been practicing my edits on Paint.Net.

If anyone could help me with editing the portraits and figuring out how to give my computer permissions to change the photos, I would very much appreciate it. Thanx!

Ah! Windows 8.... I am stuck with a Windows 7 laptop so the general solution is run all your programs as administrator and see if that helps.

And according to the GIMP website, it should run on Windows 8 so maybe explain on how you edited and replaced the images?

I know the website says it should work on windows 8, which is why I'm so cross with it haha! Whenever I try to start it, it just stops working before the program even finishes loading, which completely confuses me. What I do to edit the photos is I get the photo, save it as a bmp in a different folder, and then I edit it there, go back to the original photo, and when I go to edit it, just plop the edited version on. Whenever I try to save it just says that the permission isn't granted though. I tried the administrator trick, and I also just recently tried putting the whole of the Academagia folders under my permission. I haven't tried editing anything yet since then, but I'm probably going to draw a mustache on the character and see if it works ={P

Right now I'm mostly focusing on editing a photo until I'm happy with it. My main problem is editing the hair. It's driving me absolutely bonkers because I can't seem to find a way to draw the hair and match the art style of the portrait. I can edit the eyes just fine, and the skin (kind of. I'm trying to give him really pale Tom Riddle skin) And I can add the books in the background juuuust fine. But that hair. THAT HAIR X{D

Hair. Man I hate trying to edit hair! :P

Anyways it really does seem to be a problem with Windows 8 and permissions. Perhaps ask on the GIMP forums on why the program doesn't work for you?

Unless of course someone else has any ideas? Anyone? Legate?

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the editing permissions, the problem is probably that you are trying to edit a file in a location windows has deemed "protected", windows isn't big on letting users decide things for themselves so circumventing it is easier than changing the settings.

You should be able to simply move the file to your desktop, make your edits from there, and then move it back.

Archived